Got a Bassoon sitting around?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
brewerpaul
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Got a Bassoon sitting around?

Post by brewerpaul »

Just a shot in the dark here, but does anyone have a bassoon sitting around collecting dust that they'd like to sell? My wife is a former oboist who had to quit because of severe headaches. She's always had a hankering to try bassoon, with it's lower wind pressure (and you thought some whistles had a lot of back pressure?). If you hear of any, please let me know. Thanks.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
cowtime
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by cowtime »

The bassoon player in our community orchestra got a rebuilt bassoon here-

http://www.wichitaband.com/used.html#bassoon

It came with a two year warranty and she is very happy with it. The wood is gorgeous.
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
djm

Post by djm »

Oh, darn. Bad timing. I just threw two of them out last week.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Doug_Tipple

Post by Doug_Tipple »

A few years ago, after listening to Richard Stolzman play the clarinet on CD's that I own, I decided that I wanted to play the clarinet. However, after acquiring a reasonably nice clarinet to begin my studies, I found that the back pressure resulting from the clarinet embouchure caused me to have headaches and my blood pressure to rise. Long before I began to sound anything like Stolzman I decided to give up the clarinet. The flute embouchure with very low back pressure seems much more to my liking.
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

Doug_Tipple wrote:A few years ago, after listening to Richard Stolzman play the clarinet on CD's that I own, I decided that I wanted to play the clarinet. However, after acquiring a reasonably nice clarinet to begin my studies, I found that the back pressure resulting from the clarinet embouchure caused me to have headaches and my blood pressure to rise. Long before I began to sound anything like Stolzman I decided to give up the clarinet. The flute embouchure with very low back pressure seems much more to my liking.
Isn't it strange how things effect folks differently?
It had never occurred to me that the clarinet even has any back pressure.
But years of playing it did wreck havoc with my "bite". (another excuse to play oboe :wink:- don't want to mess up all that dental work )
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
Daniel_Bingamon

Re: Got a Bassoon sitting around?

Post by Daniel_Bingamon »

brewerpaul wrote:and you thought some whistles had a lot of back pressure?
I played Trumpet all throughout high school - it has a little back pressure as well but not like the Oboe. And some whistle players have the nerve to complain about backpressure - I think that falls in the k'vetching category.
Doug_Tipple

Post by Doug_Tipple »

Daniel_Bingamon wrote:
brewerpaul wrote:and you thought some whistles had a lot of back pressure?
I played Trumpet all throughout high school - it has a little back pressure as well but not like the Oboe. And some whistle players have the nerve to complain about backpressure - I think that falls in the k'vetching category.
I distinctly remember attending a recital by a professor of trumpet at the Interlochen School of Music summer program in Michigan. The middle-aged professor's face became so red that I was worried about whether he was going to be able to finish the program. I don't play the trumpet, but I would say that the Dizzy Gillespie expanded cheeks are the result of more than a little back pressure. And these guys are pros.
MagicSailor

Post by MagicSailor »

Hi
Doug_Tipple wrote:I don't play the trumpet, but I would say that the Dizzy Gillespie expanded cheeks are the result of more than a little back pressure. And these guys are pros.
While Dizzy's playing is legendary, I would say that his expanded cheeks were probably more a result of not learning right in the first place.

And... If you still have that clarinet, I'm in the market for a reasonably good clarinet. I lost my much beloved Noblet Artist in an accident two years ago (along with everything else I owned). I bought a new Palmer plastic clarinet a year ago as it was all I could afford, but it is a horrid piece of machinery, not even in tune with itself. A new Noblet Artist is more than $1000, way out of my budget for the moment. I actually pulled the Palmer out today, but don't have much patience with it. I need a better instrument to inspire me to start playing again.

Regards,

Owen Morgan
Yacht Magic
Anchored in the lagoon, St Maarten

My new blog.
Click here for my latest reported position. (Use the satellite view.)
kkrell
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

djm wrote:Oh, darn. Bad timing. I just threw two of them out last week.

djm
Would have been one for Paul's wife, and one for me. I played a bassoon in college. Liked it. I'm a fan of Gryphon.
djm

Post by djm »

<A TARGET="NEW" HREF="http://youtube.com/watch?v=0gg8-b9PbSA">This one?</A>

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
kkrell
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

djm wrote:<A TARGET="NEW" HREF="http://youtube.com/watch?v=0gg8-b9PbSA">This one?</A>

djm
Them's the folks. Perhaps a bit more of the later, rockier stuff

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=gdQ0eeQXtAo

At least you managed to get the right band, not that OTHER one.

I had a bass crumhorn, but sold it a few years ago.