Adapting Protec cases (revisited)

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
BigDavy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by BigDavy »

Hi tansy

I have tried to see what I could safely pack into one of my gig bags.

Here is the result

D full set
B half set
Bb chanter
C chanter
5 D chanters (3 in the external music stand holder)
Bamboo flute
Low D whistle
2 sets of bellows - 1 large and 1 small
Practice set bag.

I the side pockets 18 whistles plus a full syn set.

This is the type of bag I have, they are the biggest nice quality ones that I could find at a reasonable price.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Ritter-Tenor-Sax-Gi ... dZViewItem

David
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
BigDavy

Post by BigDavy »

PJ wrote:Davy,

With your collection of pipes (2 Bb, concert pitch, various chanters), I thought this would be more in your line:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: PJ

You are technically incorrect PJ :P - you have missed out the other full set in D that I don't admit to (Pakistani :oops: ) The Roberts half set in B, the 5/8th set in Jim's workshop and the set of smallpipes languishing under my bed.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

David
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
tansy
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by tansy »

BigDavy wrote:Hi tansy

I have tried to see what I could safely pack into one of my gig bags.

Here is the result

D full set
B half set
Bb chanter
C chanter
5 D chanters (3 in the external music stand holder)
Bamboo flute
Low D whistle
2 sets of bellows - 1 large and 1 small
Practice set bag.

I the side pockets 18 whistles plus a full syn set.

This is the type of bag I have, they are the biggest nice quality ones that I could find at a reasonable price.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Ritter-Tenor-Sax-Gi ... dZViewItem
David
Thanks Davy, I should have room to spare then, might put me a bottle of something special in there :D
shy the blond water
syn whistles
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by syn whistles »

If you're after a dedicated flight case, what about one like these?

I got sick of having my instruments in various boxes, swapping them about when I went anywhere, so I made these up. Dustproof in the workshop, stack easily and solid as. You should be able to buy the extrusions and other materials and make up your own to your own dimensions. They are expensive to make but even more so if you have someone else do it for you. But eh, to protect your assets, especially if baggage handlers are involved, you probably can't do better!
So good it has to be a SYN!
Brazenkane

Post by Brazenkane »

I have a brilliant soft case made by mooradian.
http://www.mooradian.com/Mooradian_Cove ... /Home.html

I use it whenever I fly. It holds a full set/ concertina/and a flute (4pc). It's rugged and I've been using their cases as a pro musician for 20yrs. They have never failed.

They will custom make a bag for you as well. the bottom can have hard inserts installed too.The bag mentioned above was made specifically 1" shy of the height/width length that the airline considers the max. I've never had and issue. In the overhead I have a wee sign that even the thickest people can see that says," Instrument Inside! Do Not Stack." I have never had an issue.

Finally, this is LIGHT! Try walking to any 'gate 16' at O'Hare and you'll wish that anvil case had a motor and wheels!
dmahler

Post by dmahler »

A quick question: Do you guys take your pipes as carry-ons? I only have a practise set, so I always have mine as a carry-on when I fly, but some of these cases look way to big to be carry-ons.
"Calvin, go do something you hate. It builds character."
tommykleen
Tell us something.: I am interested in the uilleann pipes and their typical -and broader- use. I have been composing and arranging for the instrument lately. I enjoy unusual harmonic combinations on the pipes. I use the pipes to play music of other cultures.

Post by tommykleen »

dmahler wrote:A quick question: Do you guys take your pipes as carry-ons? I only have a practise set, so I always have mine as a carry-on when I fly, but some of these cases look way to big to be carry-ons.
I always carry my pipes on (and that's dozens of flights). I have never been asked to check them [yet] and I hope that day never comes. I don't know what I will do if that scenario pans out: pull all the reeds I guess.

This is another reason for a smaller-profile/positive association (looks like a classical instrument) case. The industrial cases shown in the post above look like trouble for those carrying their pipes (or planning to) on board.

t
dcurtin85

Re: Adapting Protec cases (revisited)

Post by dcurtin85 »

Sorry to revive a long-dead thread, but I have a question for those who have successfully adapted a protec case:

How did you all manage to get the staples out?? The ones holding the compartments and stuff in. Mine are stuck pretty tight into the wood -- I've tried prying them out with a knife, and while it worked for one or two, some of the others just broke at the ends. Pliers won't work, as the staples are so deep that i can"t get a grip. I'm tempted to just start tearing out the inner-pieces, but I don't want rip the lining or crack the wood any more than I have to.

Any tips?
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

It's been a while, but IIRC I was able to tap a small, thin-bladed flathead screwdriver in under the staples with a tack hammer and pry them up. Since I only have a half-set I was able to leave most of one of the compartments in (I have the adjustable size Protec viola case), at least for now. I think I just re-used one of the small pieces of wood from the compartment I took out to make a new "wall" for the other compartment, and I actually recycled some of the staples I'd pulled for the job (I also glued it with superglue). It's easier if you take off/peel back the nylon case cover. Good luck!
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
dcurtin85

Post by dcurtin85 »

Thanks, Cathy! I'll give that a try.
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

I've been meaning to repost here, as I was thinking about it and recalling I've also used a metal fingernail file for such applications. Besides being super-thin a nail file is very narrow, unlike many knife blades. Hope that helps!
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.