do you whistle?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Flutered
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Flutered »

love the whistle for it's cleanness and precision and the ease with which you can half hole and slide into notes - keep one down in the kitchen and pick it up for a few tunes after meals/ coffee break etc.
But I thought you meant whistling - like without any instrument, just your lips, teeth and tongue. How many of ye really whistle!??
boyd
Tell us something.: Sets in D and B by Rogge and flute by Olwell, whistles by Burke and Goldie. I have been a member for a very long time here. Thanks for reading.

Post by boyd »

Its good to do both!!

They are different instruments, with some similarities of course,.....and its nice to alternate for listeners. Some tunes sit better on one or other of the two instruments.

Variety is the spice, and all that sort of thing :wink:
In fact, you should all take up the uilleann pipes too as they have a lot in common with flute and whistle.

Mick O'Brien is a good example of someone who plays all three instruments well...Mike McGoldrick another

Why not??!!!!
:D
Boyd

....nobody said this would be easy......

LorenzoFlute

Post by LorenzoFlute »

In fact, you should all take up the uilleann pipes too as they have a lot in common with flute and whistle.
i'm planning to get one, but a keyed flute comes first... so i guess i'll buy it in a few years :(
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

boyd wrote:Its good to do both!!

They are different instruments, with some similarities of course,.....and its nice to alternate for listeners. Some tunes sit better on one or other of the two instruments.

Variety is the spice, and all that sort of thing :wink:

Mick O'Brien is a good example of someone who plays all three instruments well...Mike McGoldrick another

Why not??!!!!
:D
Boyd
Yep, Mick, Mike and Cathy .... I can see us on the Transatlantic Sessions now. ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-)

Meanwhile .... BOYD, WHAT ARE YOU DOING TO THESE INNOCENT LAMBS? Pay no attention to his blandishments about the pipes. Stop your ears, get him behind thee, and save yourselves now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Flutered wrote:How many of ye really whistle!??
Let's start a poll! :-D

Ah, but see, it would get tricky as there are so many different types of whistling ... there's the tuneful, maybe more "Rudall and Rose-y" "Singin' in the Rain"/"Andy Griffith" type whistling, and then there's the Prattenesque through-the-teeth "get-over-here-Silver-we-gotta-go-after-these-bad-guys-hi-yo-quick-like" whistling. And there are several variations of that -- two fingers on two hands, two fingers on one hand, no fingers and over the bottom teeth (of which an indoor version can also be used for the tuneful-type whistling), to name but a few.

I do both, but the latter "outdoor farm holler" category is probably my specialty -- Mick Mulcahy sure seemed to think so. It's a long story, but every time I saw him at Augusta he'd go "Cathy, do the whistle!" so I'd "call the cows" and he'd just beam and beam. .... and then ask me to do it again.

(hey, you gotta cling to some shred of joy in this big ol' world)

***** Oh dear, and let's not EVEN get into regional styles! ******** :lol:
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
dow
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by dow »

eilam wrote:
daiv wrote:
matahari_1946 wrote:Jon, that avatar of yours is a little freaky! :)
*cough* *cough*

look at yours, too!

yes, tiff', i've been meaning to ask you................??????????!!!!! :D
Man, I miss the Carol Burnett show.

http://www.imdb.com/media/rm2794887168/nm0000993
Dow Mathis ∴
Boerne, TX
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently motivated fool.
matahari_1946

Post by matahari_1946 »

dow wrote:
eilam wrote:
daiv wrote: *cough* *cough*

look at yours, too!

yes, tiff', i've been meaning to ask you................??????????!!!!! :D
Man, I miss the Carol Burnett show.

:D Yep, that is my favorite TV show. I think I would probably be kicked out of session if I showed up looking like that. Maybe for a gig, though . . . . .
~Tiff
Jack Bradshaw
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Jack Bradshaw »

Ya ! Ya ! Might even get back into it again...(just to annoy the boudhran player of course)

Cathy Wilde wrote:
Flutered wrote:How many of ye really whistle!??
Let's start a poll! :-D

Ah, but see, it would get tricky as there are so many different types of whistling ... there's the tuneful, maybe more "Rudall and Rose-y" "Singin' in the Rain"/"Andy Griffith" type whistling, and then there's the Prattenesque through-the-teeth "get-over-here-Silver-we-gotta-go-after-these-bad-guys-hi-yo-quick-like" whistling. And there are several variations of that -- two fingers on two hands, two fingers on one hand, no fingers and over the bottom teeth (of which an indoor version can also be used for the tuneful-type whistling), to name but a few.

I do both, but the latter "outdoor farm holler" category is probably my specialty -- Mick Mulcahy sure seemed to think so. It's a long story, but every time I saw him at Augusta he'd go "Cathy, do the whistle!" so I'd "call the cows" and he'd just beam and beam. .... and then ask me to do it again.

(hey, you gotta cling to some shred of joy in this big ol' world)

***** Oh dear, and let's not EVEN get into regional styles! ******** :lol:
603/329-7322
"I fail to see why doing the same thing over and over and getting the
same results every time is insanity: I've almost proved it isn't;
only a few more tests now and I'm sure results will differ this time ... "
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mutepointe »

Speaking about "what kind of whistling do you do?" Earlier this week, NPR kept playing a story about whistleblowers in government agencies.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

matahari_1946 wrote:
dow wrote: Man, I miss the Carol Burnett show.

:D Yep, that is my favorite TV show. I think I would probably be kicked out of session if I showed up looking like that. Maybe for a gig, though . . . . .
I think the avatar is appropriate considering Harvey Korman's late demise.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
psychodonald
Tell us something.: Very much enjoy all flutes, bagpipes and whistles. I'm an older player; however, an active learner. I take current lessons from an Irish Flute tutor, a Boehm Flute tutor and a Highland Bagpipe tutor. I'm a great believer in lessons and without the assistance of a tutor, I find that I would be repeating the same mistakes over and over again, making me proficient in poor music.

Post by psychodonald »

I play and enjoy both. Also, play the silver flute (Bohem).