Lifetime Guarantee

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Doug_Tipple
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Lifetime Guarantee

Post by Doug_Tipple »

I purchased a furnace filter from a home-improvement store today. The filter is electrostatic, and you are supposed to be able to wash it with water every month or so. One of the selling points on the package was a "Lifetime Guarantee". When I got the filter home and more-closely read the instructions and warranty on the back of the package, I learned that the warranty was good "for the life of the filter". I guess that when the filter stops working as it should, it is no longer under warranty because it had exceeded the life of the filter. Another provision of the warranty is that you have to prove that you cleaned the filter every month for the warrantly to be valid. More simply put, the lifetime warranty is not a warranty at all.

Living in this world where truth-telling is in short supply, even in high places of the government, mind you, it seems to me that the best strategy is to not get upset by the small stuff and to focus on good things, such as the day lillies that have just started to bloom outside my kitchen door. Have a wonderful day.
emmline

Re: Lifetime Guarantee

Post by emmline »

Doug_Tipple wrote:... it seems to me that the best strategy is to not get upset by the small stuff and to focus on good things, such as the day lillies that have just started to bloom outside my kitchen door...
Yes indeed.
anniemcu
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

I would wait just a few minutes to change focus, and write a letter to the company selling it to you, and perhaps a 'naming no names' version for the local newspaper, warning others of what you discovered.

Then, yes, the daylillies just started blooming here too... yesterday, as a matter fact, the same day the first chicory opened as well.
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
peeplj
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by peeplj »

That's a bit like the old joke about condoms: "What happens if the condom breaks?" "If the condom breaks, the guarantee...uh...runs out." :lol:

We have jasmine in our back yard, it blooms in the evening and fills our yard with the most lovely smell. :)

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
emmline

Post by emmline »

We have bunnies. We scout them out daily. The dog awards herself points for spotting one and attempting to sneak up on it. The bunnies are quite nonchalant. They seem to know the dog is a) leashed and b) only serious about it as a game of tag.
tansy

Post by tansy »

If they have an 800 I would call and politely but firmly tell them what you think about their warranty.
Our garden has 3 groups of chest high daisy's, mixed among the vegetables and herbs. :)
shy the blond water
djm

Post by djm »

If they lie about the meaning of their warranty, what else are they lying about? Whenever I catch on to something crooked about the wording on a product I just stay away from all products from that manufacturer wherever possible. Fool me once, etc.

Daylilies grow wild here. They're everywhere, left over from old gardens and let loose.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Doug_Tipple

Post by Doug_Tipple »

djm wrote: Daylilies grow wild here. They're everywhere, left over from old gardens and let loose.djm
Daylilies grow wild here, as well. It is common to see them alongside roadways, that is, in places that haven't been sprayed with herbacide.
I have to stop talking and mow the yard.
I.D.10-t

Day lilies

Post by I.D.10-t »

I have heard that some varieties of day lily can make a good salad vegetable. Any one ever try them?
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
djm

Post by djm »

I haven't heard of salad vegetable, but some people pick the flower buds just before they bloom and stirfry these.

There are whole books out now about edible blossoms. Personally, I have trouble thinking about eating something that I used to only put up my nose.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Ronbo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Re: Lifetime Guarantee

Post by Ronbo »

Doug_Tipple wrote:I purchased a furnace filter from a home-improvement store today. The filter is electrostatic, and you are supposed to be able to wash it with water every month or so. One of the selling points on the package was a "Lifetime Guarantee". When I got the filter home and more-closely read the instructions and warranty on the back of the package, I learned that the warranty was good "for the life of the filter". I guess that when the filter stops working as it should, it is no longer under warranty because it had exceeded the life of the filter. Another provision of the warranty is that you have to prove that you cleaned the filter every month for the warrantly to be valid. More simply put, the lifetime warranty is not a warranty at all.

Living in this world where truth-telling is in short supply, even in high places of the government, mind you, it seems to me that the best strategy is to not get upset by the small stuff and to focus on good things, such as the day lillies that have just started to bloom outside my kitchen door. Have a wonderful day.
Seems like the simple answer is to take the thing back, even if you had to install it. If it is homeless depot, they won't give a damn about your problem, but will probably want to sell you another useless item to go with it. You are probably the first person in the history of that store, including especially the employees, who has ever read the "guarantee" to the end.

Reminds me of the restaurant which advertised All you can eat for five dollars. After the second plate, the guy comes over and says "That's all you can eat for five dollars". An ex-Eastern Airlines employee.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

I've always wondered about the vagueness of "Lifetime Guarantee", and I suppose it was only a matter of time 'til someone actually had the utter brass to specify the life of the product.

Day lilies also have small edible tubers, and the dried spent flowers can be used and discarded in making a broth. I haven't tried the former, and I don't much care for the latter. But maybe I did it wrong.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

djm wrote:There are whole books out now about edible blossoms. Personally, I have trouble thinking about eating something that I used to only put up my nose.

djm
I'm having a little trouble with the up-your-nose part, myself. :-?

The filter in my A/C-furnace is one of those "lifetime" models. Been in there since the early 90s. Every so often, I give it a soak in a bit of Mr. Clean followed by a rinse in the shower. Can't imagine it would ever wear out, as there is nothing to wear. Your model might be more complex than mine, though!

The African violet in my kitchen window seems happy with something, as it recently began blooming. It currently has a glob of raspberry-pink blooms on it the size of your fist.
Cotelette d'Agneau