Storm brings down huge wall at Philips (my workplace)

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
raindog1970
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Storm brings down huge wall at Philips (my workplace)

Post by raindog1970 »

Check this out: http://www.spartaexpositor.com/articles ... 476094.txt
Pardon the bad English, spelling errors, and the fact that it was the shipping area instead of receiving... but most of us really do talk like that around here, and who has time to run a spell check or get the facts straight when reporting a big news story! :oops:
Under normal circumstances, I would have probably been unloading one of those drive-in racks when the wall blew down.
All the debris went out into the parking lot, so I probably wouldn't have been injured... but I'm sure I would have needed a change of underwear! :lol:
Regards,
Gary Humphrey

♪♣♫Humphrey Whistles♫♣♪

[Raindogs] The ones you see wanderin' around after a rain. Ones that can't find their way back home. See the rain washes off the scent off all the mail boxes and the lamposts, fire hydrants. – Tom Waits
emmline

Post by emmline »

Ouchee.
Doug_Tipple
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

Tall free-standing block walls scare me. I'm guessing that there were some design problems with the building construction at Phillips. Just last weekend I was inside a large Costco here in Indianapolis. While I ate my hot dog and large soft drink for $1.50 (My wife calls this lunch), I was scanning the interior walls of the building. It looked to me like it was made in a similar fashion to the Phillips building that failed in a strong wind. The block walls need to be better anchored to the steel load-bearing structure of the building, it seems to me, and that is the same thought that I had when I was in the Costco building.
A-Musing
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by A-Musing »

Gary...
Congratulations, on escaping bodily harm....and the unplanned underwear change!

And on a selfish personal note, as a happy player of two of your whistles, I'm glad you're still around to keep making 'em!
You-Me-Them-Us-IT. Anything Else?
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

See, this is exactly why us folks with OCD start the day with some bran flakes and some time in the bathroom. Few things are worse than an unplanned change of underwear. But keep an extra outfit in your car, just in case.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

mutepointe wrote:See, this is exactly why us folks with OCD start the day with some bran flakes and some time in the bathroom.
No, no. OCD is anal retentive.

(Cripes, did I just type that? I'm going to bed!)
raindog1970
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by raindog1970 »

Doug_Tipple wrote:The block walls need to be better anchored to the steel load-bearing structure of the building...
I don't think they were anchored at all, but were just standing between the I-beam uprights.
The building is around 40 years old, and there are lots of places where the concrete blocks are cracking or even broken around the I-beam uprights.
It was just a matter of time before something like this happened, and it's likely to happen again in another part of the building.
They are going to tear down the two damaged sections that didn't fall, and will replace everything with metal.
The other exterior walls of the warehouse are already metal, and I have no idea why they used concrete blocks for just the back wall.
Regards,
Gary Humphrey

♪♣♫Humphrey Whistles♫♣♪

[Raindogs] The ones you see wanderin' around after a rain. Ones that can't find their way back home. See the rain washes off the scent off all the mail boxes and the lamposts, fire hydrants. – Tom Waits
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

That's more than a bit scary. Glad you're ok.
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
Jerry Freeman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Jerry Freeman »

We had something like that here about a week ago.

The sky was clear and sunny, and the power went out. I thought, "That doesn't make sense. It's a nice day." I had the radio on, and there had been no weather advisories.

Within just a few minutes, the sky was dark. It got dark faster than I've ever seen before. It started to rain and thunder, then very suddenly I heard a wind like I've never heard before. A steady, very loud hiss/whistle, very strong, very steady like a tremendous river of wind. I thought, "Is this a tornado? No sound like a freight train, must be something else."

Then a very large maple tree, probably 100 years old, in the front yard blew down, and I ran to the basement. From there, I could watch out a small window at the top of the foundation wall, but I couldn't see much.

I was afraid my mobile homes had been destroyed (I have two of them here, both sold but not delivered yet), so as soon as I saw it wasn't blowing so strongly any more, I went out into the storm to check.

No, the mobile homes were OK. As it turns out, the wind hit them end on, which they could take. If they had been hit broadside, they would have been blown off their blocks and ruined.

Later, I was at the post office, which is a tiny box of a wood building about 100 yards from here. It was a public tea house in the 1800's. In its present incarnation, it's perfectly suited as the post office for a village of 350 souls.

Renee, the postmistress, had been there during whatever it was. She said she couldn't figure out where to go. The wind was rattling the front door, so she stood there trying to hold it shut. She could see out the door's window, and saw that all the trees, even huge old trees were bowed over sideways, horizontal to the ground, the wind was so strong.

Reuben Herschberger and his sons, the Amish farmers down the road, were out in it. They ran for shelter and huddled against the leeward side of a little wooden shed, which had been the closest thing they could reach. They watched it blow down a block wall where they were renovating the old barn, and they watched it blow away a silo top they had on the ground by the barn.

Very strange weather. Not a tornado, but not typical thunderstorm gusts, either. Extremely strong wind (I would say 80 - 100 miles per hour) blowing steadily in a straight line, not swirling, for some length of time. I can't say how long. It could have been only half a minute, or it could have been several minutes. I just don't know.

After things had settled down, I looked out the front door and saw Chucky and Aaron standing in my front yard, pondering the fallen maple. (Here's a proper introduction to Chucky and Aaron: http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php?t=22637)

I have the sense that Chucky and Aaron are forces of nature themselves. The image that arose seeing them materialized there before the fallen tree was of termites. Tropical termites, maybe, that somehow sense that a tree somewhere in the jungle has fallen and swarm to it within minutes, maybe even seconds, of the catastrophe.

I knew why they were there.

We had the relevant conversation, and it was agreed that Chucky and Aaron would come the next day and saw up the fallen tree. Firewood. Later in the day, another neighbor came around and asked if he could take the tree for firewood, but I had to tell him Chucky and Aaron had asked for it first.

Best wishes,
Jerry
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

cowtime wrote:That's more than a bit scary. Glad you're ok.
Seconded! :boggle:
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
djm

Post by djm »

Jerry Freeman wrote:We had something like that here about a week ago.
We get those here. They are sometimes called microbursts or a wind wall. I have seen them rolling straight towards the house. There are enough trees in all the yards here that you can see it progressing like a rolling wave or wall coming at you, bending the trees down, then whipping them about, breaking branches, and generally hurling things around.

One year we saw one coming right out of the west. It tore half of a huge maple off across the street and delivered it to within inches of the nextdoor neighbour's front window. The guy on the other side of me had a metal garden shed literally crushed into a what looked like a crumpled wad of tinfoil.

Exciting, what? :D

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

I thought it might be a microburst, but it seemed longer lasting than the descriptions I've read. Still the most logical explanation, I think.

Best wishes,
Jerry
tansy

Post by tansy »

glad no one was hurt. I had a strong wind experience, I was anchored in Key Largo Fl and I got up just after dawn and looked out. To the east and above me was clear blue but to the west it was solid black with a thin silver line on the leading edge. It was moving extremely fast and within a minute it hit me, laid the 7 ton sailboat on her side, water was on the side deck and I remember screaming "round up, round up". It seemed forever before the boat came around and hung to the wind again. The anchorage was full of gear blown from other boats, and 2 were blown ashore.
The coast guard reported it at 110 MPH.
It's an interesting thing, how you feel after experiencing such a fury, kind of cross between awe and a thankfulness at being spared once again.
shy the blond water
Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

tansy wrote:glad no one was hurt. I had a strong wind experience, I was anchored in Key Largo Fl and I got up just after dawn and looked out. To the east and above me was clear blue but to the west it was solid black with a thin silver line on the leading edge. It was moving extremely fast and within a minute it hit me, laid the 7 ton sailboat on her side, water was on the side deck and I remember screaming "round up, round up". It seemed forever before the boat came around and hung to the wind again. The anchorage was full of gear blown from other boats, and 2 were blown ashore.
The coast guard reported it at 110 MPH.
It's an interesting thing, how you feel after experiencing such a fury, kind of cross between awe and a thankfulness at being spared once again.
That sounds about like it. Whatever that was, I think it visited here last week.

Best wishes,
Jerry
anniemcu
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

:o Glad you weren't unloading! ... or needing new under-drawers!
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com