I got the Bluuuuues.....

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by djm »

I think the trick in the test is the number of questions that get repeated. This isn't a hidden pattern. It is more of a sledgehammer effect.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
chrisoff
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by chrisoff »

Innocent Bystander wrote:Join us, Chris! We could be the European version of "Big Bang".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Bang_% ... guation%29?

That AS wiki has a frighteningly familiar set of characteristics.
people with AS are not usually withdrawn around others; they approach others, even if awkwardly, for example by engaging in a one-sided, long-winded speech about a favorite topic while being oblivious to the listener's feelings or reactions, such as signs of boredom or haste to leave.
I do that!
They may stick to inflexible routines or rituals
Ask my girlfriend about how anal I am with regards to the washing up/packing the shopping/various other day to day activities
Individuals with AS may collect volumes of detailed information on a relatively narrow topic
My performance on the quiz machine on Saturday night indicates my head is full of volumes of detailed information on very narrow topics. Still didn't win any money though
unusually pedantic, formal or idiosyncratic speech
That's me as well.
conversational style often includes monologues about topics that bore the listener, fails to provide context for comments, or fails to suppress internal thoughts
And I just thought I was a c***

I wonder if this explains why I always find it easy to remember lots and lots of randomly generated passwords for work. IP numbers as well seem to stick in my mind quite easily.

Overall though I don't know if I like this (self) diagnosis of AS. I liked just being a geek, or even a nerd. That's what I am. Having a syndrome doesn't seem the same somehow...
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

The fact that you have a girlfriend, goes towards proving that you are merely a Geek, and not a full-blown Aspie.

If you were an Aspie, you would be relieved to find that it explains things like your Tics, odd fluttering motions of the hands, the way you walk funny, and the horrible sensation of fear you get when confronted with large groups of people. Surprise parties are Aspies' worst nightmares.

Anyway, Sober Sam, please forgive the thread hijack, and don't accept advice on women from the likes of me.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
chrisoff

Post by chrisoff »

Innocent Bystander wrote:The fact that you have a girlfriend, goes towards proving that you are merely a Geek, and not a full-blown Aspie.

If you were an Aspie, you would be relieved to find that it explains things like your Tics, odd fluttering motions of the hands, the way you walk funny, and the horrible sensation of fear you get when confronted with large groups of people. Surprise parties are Aspies' worst nightmares.
Yeah a few similar symptoms does not equal a diagnosis. I'm still fairly sure that any autism like behaviour I may show is more a result of, not the cause, of my geeky nature.

What was the original topic again? Oh yes. Women advice.

I'm quite useless with women so I'm not giving any advice. Frankly I'm astonished I've even got a girlfriend.
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Still got the blues Sam? Don't worry, so does Gary but he and Albert (RIP) will make you feel better.

Turn the volume up to Eleven for the the best results :twisted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6oDdgrbmeE

Loren
BigDavy

Post by BigDavy »

17 - I am an average female scientist :lol: :lol: :lol:

David
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
Denny

Post by Denny »

:lol: the things ya learn....

so, ya thinkin' 'bout a career change?
djm

Post by djm »

Just saw Chris' second version of the test. 27 - perfectly normal
normal
normal
normal
normal
normal
normal
normal
norm<click> what was I saying? :boggle:

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Sober Sam

Post by Sober Sam »

Loren wrote:Still got the blues Sam? Don't worry, so does Gary but he and Albert (RIP) will make you feel better.

Loren
Thanks for that. Do you know the duet Album by Alber King and Stevie Ray Vaughan? It's one of the bluesiest blues albums I've ever heard.
And yes, I still got the blues... It's just awful. It ain't right. She could at least tell me to (bleep) off, but she prefers to just ignore me. That ain't right.
Why do people use aluminum to put beer in it, if you can make whistles out of it?
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

I scored a 30. I actually thought my answers were very middle of the road. I do like meeting new people because I want to meet more people like me but I'm almost always disappointed that I have so very little in common with them and there is rarely a connecting bond. On the other hand, my family and friends really like me and my perculiarities. One of my friends moved away and we visit a few times a year, he still likes to ask me a random question about goldfish just to see how long I will talk. He times me.

I got him addicted to adding the sum of all "numbers" in a conversation. Are you going 2 the store? Yes, the 7-11, 2 get a Take 5 candy bar. Would you like me to get 1 4 you 2? Tres interesting. 37 is the sum.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
chrisoff

Post by chrisoff »

mutepointe wrote: I got him addicted to adding the sum of all "numbers" in a conversation. Are you going 2 the store? Yes, the 7-11, 2 get a Take 5 candy bar. Would you like me to get 1 4 you 2? Tres interesting. 37 is the sum.
:o

:boggle:

That's just cruel.
Sober Sam

Post by Sober Sam »

She doesn't want to dine with me. :sniffle:
Why do people use aluminum to put beer in it, if you can make whistles out of it?
chrisoff

Post by chrisoff »

Oh well, on the plus side the Swiss became the first team to be knocked out of Euro 2008 so your city probably won't be so pre-occupied with the tournament anymore.
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

Loren wrote:Still got the blues Sam? Don't worry, so does Gary but he and Albert (RIP) will make you feel better.

Loren
I scored eleven. For better or for worse I guess...

Loren dear..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhR_G7Yt2J0

This is what I have beeen listening to all day..it's the first track on the album.
Great crack apart from that Phil Collins guy..what the Hell :wink:
Slan,
D. :)
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

Situations like the one you're in can go from murky and confusing to clear-as-day in seconds, but to get there, you have to ask her out. Make it explicit that what you're asking for is a Date, with a capital D.

If she's interested, she'll say yes. Saying anything else meams no. Saying yes and then letting you know later that something suddenly came up and she has to cancel means 'no'.

If she really is interested and something really did suddenly come up, communicating that message (no, but yes!) to you somehow becomes her problem.

~~

Dating is easier to understand once you know that the basic rules of courtship seem to be designed to assign the initiative (for taking the risk of making the first overt act) to men whilst reserving for women the maximum possible ambiguity at each stage.

So, you invite her to something specific--a movie, dinner, whatever, but with clear courtship intent. If she says yes, she's interested in being courted, but it's crucial to understand that what she's actually agreeing to do is only one dinner, movie, etc. If the date happens and she's no longer interested in anything further, the ambiguity means she then has nothing to uncommit to. You have the initiative and responsiblity to ask her again if you want to pursue her, and if she doesn't agree, all she has to do is be busy the next few times you ask, and you're supposed to get the message.

Thus, no one loses face.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis