How to make anti-roll feature for keyless Delrin flute?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
jemtheflute
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by jemtheflute »

Loren wrote:
jemtheflute wrote:See the flute in my current "avatar"? It's boxwood. It's c190 years old. It's as straight as a ruler.
Sorry, I don't believe that. Dead straight after all this time? Uh uhn. It may look so and you can't really tell as easily with that big Eb block and key, but if we were to check it, that flute has some warpage, I'd put money on it. One of these days perhaps we'll be at the same flute event of some sort, and we'll put it to the test. :wink:

Loren
Have a look at the pictures of it I've posted on the lichen thread, Loren. May not be engineering straight, but by eye........ Not bad, huh?
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
azw
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by azw »

Thanks to everyone for the ideas! I'll try out the beaded hair elastic and leather thong ideas. They're not the most elegant, but I like that they're easily reversible.

Hmm. On second thought, the thong idea could lead to too much daydreaming.
Denny

Post by Denny »

ya know...I just didn't see you as a reversible thong kinda guy...the things ya learn here, eh?
azw

Post by azw »

Sure, why not? If you turn it inside out you get double the wear and half the laundry!
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Until he got a keyed flute, one local fellow had a little rubber toy in the image of a gorilla, the sort that you could hang off of a drinking glass, that he'd have grip his flute when he wasn't playing it. Worked a treat, was great for conversation, and we called it "The Flute Monkey".
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
azw

Post by azw »

I'd be interested in seeing an image of a Flute Monkey. That could be just the thing.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

azw wrote:I'd be interested in seeing an image of a Flute Monkey. That could be just the thing.
Dunno where he got it; Googling is giving me no images or ideas, either. But I swear it's true. :)
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
mahanpots

Post by mahanpots »

Olwell Pratten.
Paddy Cronin's Jig
Limestone Rock, Silver Spear
Blasting, billowing, bursting forth with the power of 10 billion butterfly sneezes
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Not at all the same thing I was talking about, but it could do, couldn't it.

No, the one in question looked "real", and didn't have wires in the limbs; it was just shaped a certain way that allowed it to grip the flute.
narrowdog
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by narrowdog »

Love it :boggle: :o
Happiness is taking things as they are.
azw

Post by azw »

Nice find! This kind of party favor might be available in a kids' store. I've seen frogs, monsters, farm animals, etc. elsewhere online.
azw

Post by azw »

Two more questions.

First, is it possible to work with the cap if one were to build an anti-roll feature into a flute? I can't answer this question because my flute isn't of a normal construction. Mine is a Casey Burns with wrought iron rings. The rings all touch the table, but these rings have wrought iron leaves attached to them.

So, on a simple-looking flute, would the cap actually touch the table enough to matter?

On to #2... we've talked mostly about adding something to the flute.

Another possible solution would be subtract. What if the tuning slide had one side which was just barely reduced or filed? That side could be placed opposite the holes to keep them off the table. I suppose the main concern would be weakening the slide and adding to the risk of cracking.
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

azw wrote:Two more questions.

First, is it possible to work with the cap if one were to build an anti-roll feature into a flute? I can't answer this question because my flute isn't of a normal construction. Mine is a Casey Burns with wrought iron rings. The rings all touch the table, but these rings have wrought iron leaves attached to them.
I'm confused, in the first post you mentioned that you are having the flute made, but this sounds as if it is already done? Or are you talking about two different flutes?

With regards to the wrought iron rings with leaves:

A) Sounds cool, would love to see pictures!

B) Wouldn't these rings (with the leaves) keep the flute from rolling?

As for filing the tuning slide, not sure what you mean here, as the tuning slide would touch the table, and would work being filed flat in a spot. Must be that I'm misunderstanding your idea. But then that happens a lot with me, particularly after all the glue I sniffed corking tenons :lol:

Loren
azw

Post by azw »

Yes, this is a different flute. I like the Burns a lot, but I'm going to have a new Delrin flute made so I can leave put together by the computer. I find that I don't pull out the Burns when I just have a few minutes to toot.

A few of the leaves on the Burns flute just barely touch the table. There are raised rings on the bands that touch first, so the leaves don't touch the table enough to prevent rolling. Pity. That would have worked.

Here's a couple of photos of the Burns with foliage. (If you click on them, you can see larger versions.) I should re-photograph them in better lighting.

I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

To bad the leaves didn't attach to a branch with a few knots in it.

Kind of neat looking flute.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."