any other hi g's out there besides....

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
ysgwd

Post by ysgwd »

Susato and Generation? I have a Susato Dublin high G that I really love to play, with ear plugs and only when home alone....Maybe the Gens aren't as shrill when you get to the upper octave c....
I don't trust Gens after a few bad experiences with them, and although 5.00 doesn't sound like a big risk, it will be that again with shipping....and I don't need to order anything else right now.
I would like a high end high g that has mellower volume than the Susato. I really like this key!
Lisa
DRC
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by DRC »

Sandy Jasper at Elf Song makes a very nice brass hi G. ElfSong Whistles
Redwolf
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

On 2002-12-10 17:13, DRC wrote:
Sandy Jasper at Elf Song makes a very nice brass hi G. ElfSong Whistles
You took the words right out of my mouth. There are a couple of reviews of the "Sassy Brass" high whistles on her website, and they sound very nice indeed, if you want to play something that high. If I were in the market for a high G, that's where I would go first.

Redwolf
MandoPaul

Post by MandoPaul »

Dave Parkhurst also makes them. See the C&F whistles list fo contact info.
avanutria
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

I would see if Mack Hoover makes them. In his shop, he has some whistles in keys that I didn't even know existed!
colomon
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

Glenn Schultz makes a Thin Weasel high G. Cute little instrument, sounds great, but my fingers are far too big to play it.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

My high G gen is a good whistle,
not shrill, and I suspect
that it's kinda hard for
gens to go wrong in that key.
slowair

Post by slowair »

I know what you mean about having bad experiences with Generations. However, I recently bought a high G Generation in brass and it is really nice. Same with an Eb nickel. Was pleasantly surprised. Kinda tough sqeezing my fingers into position on the G, but I'm getting use to it.

For the price, I'm very satisfied.

Good luck.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: slowair on 2002-12-10 23:14 ]</font>
brewerpaul

Post by brewerpaul »

I'll second the Thin Weasel recommendation, if you're looking for a high end high G. Not at all shrill, and an astounding piece of machining from the master. I'll be danged if I know how he can turn those wood walls so thin..I know, Glenn, sharp tools!
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
brewerpaul

Post by brewerpaul »

On the less high end side, why not ask Serpent? I don't know if he currently makes high G's , but I know that Bill enjoys a challenge, and could probably do it for you.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Danny Boy

Post by Danny Boy »

I have a Generation high G in nickel. A refreshing and fun change to play every now and then. You can almost play the whole scale with just three fingers while driving (not that I would play while driving, but you could.)
Sorry, I can't play any quieter.
carrie

Post by carrie »

I've played a Burke high G--it seemed up to his usual high standards. Brass.

Carol
Steven

Post by Steven »

I have a Gen high G, and it's little more than a piece of scrap metal. It's not even in tune in the lower octave, and I can't even bear to go into the upper octave it's so shrill (not to mention the convulsions it gives the cat). It really sounds horrible, and I don't ever play it except once in a while to remind myself why I don't ever play it.

So the Generation legacy of inconsistency lives on! It's just too bad I'm the one who got the dud....
OutOfBreath

Post by OutOfBreath »

Hmmm, you might try PetSmart...

John
serpent

Post by serpent »

On 2002-12-11 07:37, brewerpaul wrote:
On the less high end side, why not ask Serpent? I don't know if he currently makes high G's , but I know that Bill enjoys a challenge, and could probably do it for you.
Right-O! Thanks for the recommendation, Paul. :grin: Yes, I'd be happy to do one up for you, and send it on approval. Email me if you're interested.
Bill Whedon