Repetitive Stress/Tendinitis--what should I do?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Craig Stuntz
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Craig Stuntz »

I use, and highly recommend, the Evoluent Vertical Mouse 3. Unlike other "ergonomic" mice, the Evoluent requires little to no time to adapt to, and is reasonably inexpensive.
The Sporting Pitchfork
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by The Sporting Pitchfork »

I can't remember for sure, but I think it might have been Oliver Sacks that made the comment that musicians are "athletes of the small muscles." You wouldn't just walk out your door and run ten miles without stretching before or after, so why would you play your instrument for four or five hours at a time without taking a break or stretching?

-When practicing, you shouldn't play for more than an hour at a time. Yes, professional musicians do commonly practice for 8 hours a day, but they take frequent breaks throughout the day. When you start to feel even slight pain in your wrists, just stop. Never, ever try to "play through" it.

-Do you practice in front of a mirror? No? Start. Now. Here's your perfect chance to unleash the narcissist within. When you do, don't be surprised if you look at yourself and say, "Gee, I had no idea I looked so contorted and I was gripping my instrument to death." Sit up straight and watch very carefully how you handle your instrument. Is there a lot of excess body movement? Are your fingers moving smoothly or not so much? When I've gone to workshops, I've seen so many earnest aspiring musicians contorted in hopelessly uncomfortable positions and gripping their instruments to death. I think a lot of this impulse stems from a subconscious desire to exert a feeling of "control" over your instrument. A lot of these people love playing, but many of them won't be able to play at all in a few years if they keep doing what they're doing...

-Here's a handy exercise for you to do after practicing that I learned from a bagpiper/neurosurgeon: stand perfectly straight and stretch out both arms so that they are parallel to the floor. Lift your wrists until your hands are perpendicular to the floor. Hold for five seconds. Return to original position. Hold for five seconds. Make a fist. Hold for five seconds. Keeping your hands in a fist, move them down until they are close to perpendicular with the floor. Hold for five seconds. Repeat this exercise 10 times.
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

The Sporting Pitchfork wrote: ........ stretching .......
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SW_2l2CRU6o
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
brianormond

Post by brianormond »

-I'd suggest seeing a physician as some of the most effective medications are prescription rather than OTC medications. Moreover, a doctor may diagnose something unexpected but routine and easily addressed such as ganglion cysts of the hand, treated easily on an outpatient basis with minimal trauma.

--A relative froze up mechanically to a frightening degree from rheumatoid arthritis years back but has regained most mobility and some dexterity with use of the newest RA meds, some of which may be useful in treating overuse.

-I worked as a TIG welder for years and developed temporary hand and wrist numbness from the constant torch grip. It was alleviated by learning a new grip and alternating it with the standard position.

-Best wishes,
Brian
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

brianormond wrote:-I'd suggest seeing a physician as some of the most effective medications are prescription rather than OTC medications. Moreover, a doctor may diagnose something unexpected but routine and easily addressed such as ganglion cysts of the hand, treated easily on an outpatient basis with minimal trauma.
Will you say what the outpatient treatment is for
ganglion cysts of the hand/wrist?
Loren
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

roj wrote:Consider Rolfing, a very effective alternative to physical therapy. Rolfing specifically targets the fascia, or connective tissue, i.e. tendons, ligaments, membranes, etc.
roj, I know a number of Rolfers (becoming more commonly known as Structural Integration), and I doubt any of them would suggest that Rolfing is an alternative to doctor prescribed Physical Therapy. Rather most would say the two complement one another, as they are two very different modes of therapy - one does not accomplish what the other can, and vice versa.

Having been through the complete Structural Integration series many years ago, as well as being someone who uses a Rolfer to work on me from time to time currently, I can certainly vouch for the benefits of such work, however I think it's dangerous to suggest Rolfing as an alternative to Physical Therapy.

Loren
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

jim stone wrote:
Will you say what the outpatient treatment is for
Isn't that the sort of question best left to medical professionals to answer?

Loren
norcalbob

Post by norcalbob »

jim stone wrote:Will you say what the outpatient treatment is for
Hi Jim. I had a fairly large ganglion cyst on my right wrist which I probably got from a climbing or weight training related injury. I eventually had it surgically removed because it would hurt whenever I bumped it, and I thought it was unsightly. The micro-surgery was done on an outpatient basis, followed by a soft cast for a couple of weeks, and then some physical therapy to regain my range of motion. I do have a small scar and a small area of numbness around the scar, but other than that, it was a complete success.

Say hello to KO Crane for me. :)
Bob

Come to the edge/ It's too high/ Come to the edge/ We might fall/ Come to the edge/ And we came/ And he pushed/ And we flew!
Guillaume Apollinaire
brianormond

Post by brianormond »

Jim-
-Sweetie pie had one atop one hand, excised in quick, precise surgery through a small incision. Recovery followed with mild (& temporary) use limitation. She wasn't fazed by it.
daveogden
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by daveogden »

There was a similar thread on this list about 6 months ago; you might search the archives under RSI, repetitive stress injury, or carpal tunnel. One response in that thread recommended the dvd "Treat Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Yourself" by Michael Young, which I purchased since I was having pain in my arm tendons at the time. Here's a link to Michael Young's website:

http://www.mrtherapy.com/carpal_tunnel.html

His dvd talks about the physical aspects of the injury and gives some exercises to do, which I did for several months and found very helpful. They're related to the stretches that Sporting Pitchfork gives in the post above, they work the same muscles, though in a more aggressive manner. The dvd is self produced and it's a bit pricey, but it's been useful for me. Young recommends a book in his dvd program, Jim and Phil Wharton's "Stretch Book, Active-Isolated Stretching" from Three Rivers Press. That book gives some great stretches to do for the neck, shoulders and upper back, which for me were just as needed for my repetitive use injury therapy as the arm and hand related movements. I've been glad I found the previous post on the C&F, and just thought I'd add my experiences with the info I learned then. Stretching for a few minutes both morning and night every day for me has been the trick to avoiding the pain I'd been having. At this point I can't say the injury has disappeared, just that I'm not in pain now and am more aware of what I need to do for my body. This weekend I hung out with an old friend who just turned 50 and plays guitar on cruise ships full time, performing 4 hours a day for 5 months straight. He does lots of yoga, watches what he eats, and doesn't drink. He's never had any RSI problems. It made me think... though giving up Guinness... jeez, I don't think I could go that far!
Denny

Post by Denny »

daveogden wrote:It made me think... though giving up Guinness... jeez, I don't think I could go that far!
ya don't have to give up Guiness

'course you're gonna get some odd looks
what with usin' a straw :D
rama
Tell us something.: flute itm flute, interested in the flute forum for discussions and the instrument exchange forum to buy and sell flutes

Post by rama »

jim stone wrote:Will you say what the outpatient treatment is for
here ya go:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6df37_KFcb4
candis bowen

tendonitis

Post by candis bowen »

I developed DeQuervain's Tendonitis (same as Carpal Tunnel, only a different tendon) from lupus & flute playing. It got so bad I couldn't even lift a mug, let alone play a flute. A combination of cortisone injection, brace & magnetic bracelet helped immensely. Oh, & Vicodin, can't forget that one! I've been relatively pain free for a year now.

Candi
Horses, flutes & books – what's life without 'em?
deisman
Tell us something.: I'm a traveling man, made a lot of stops. All over this world. And in every port, I own the heart of a cute little girl. Woah, I'm a travel'n man. Yes, I'm a travel'n maa-an. Woah, I'm a travel'n man.

wrist pain while playing

Post by deisman »

You may want to consider doing a google search for flute crutch. A crutch will make you change your grip which may help.... I had bad cramping in left thumb (base) and fashioned a crutch for my flute & now I can play for long time.

...just an idea

Deisman
I'm on it...