Poll: Flute Forum Stickies

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.

Which of the following should be eliminated as a sticky on the flute forum?

Poll ended at Mon May 12, 2008 9:39 am

Posting Clips
15%
The Great & Awesome Flute YouTube Thread
8%
Flute Photos!
7%
78RPM Flute recordings available online
23%
None of the above. Thanks for your concern, Dale, but, we need all of these stickies.
48%

Total votes: 61

Dale
The Landlord
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Poll: Flute Forum Stickies

Post by Dale »

Consider whether you want the current number of stickies on the flute forum.

Thanks.
Last edited by Dale on Mon May 19, 2008 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
treeshark

Post by treeshark »

I dunno never thought, I suppose the Pakistani flute one is the least memorable. I think the poll is the wrong way round the question should be which ones to keep not remove.
Or could you make this thread sticky so we can let the votes build up for a year or so?
Loren
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

I'd vote the Pakistani thread, and posting clips off of sticky: The latter seems to have plenty of momentum to keep itself going and easy enough to find, without being a sticky, and I just don't see the value of the former to 99% of the board readers.

Also, I'd make the suggestion that we designate the youtube thread be specifically for known performers, as opposed to having board members posting their clips in the youtube thread. I suggest this A) Because it was initially the youtube thread was started so that we might see and hear "name" players. and B) Because now we are getting cross posting from board members in both threads listing their youtube videos in both places. So I'd suggest keeping the posting clips thread for homegrown audio AND video clips, while saving the youtube thread for video clips of Marquis players.

My $.02, which at the current dollar value , relative other world currency at the moment, probably means I now owe someone in another country money.....

Loren
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Keep all the stickies and let the reader sort 'em out...

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
Denny

Post by Denny »

:D more stickies :D more stickies :D

let's push the non stickies the the 2nd page!!!!

:oops: sorry :oops: I'm okay now :oops:
treeshark

Post by treeshark »

Denny wrote: :oops: sorry :oops: I'm okay now :oops:
I find that hard to believe... :shock:

I think the flute picture thread should be higher especially as I posted the last picture and none of you commented which made me feel really bad and ignored. :D
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

treeshark wrote:
I think the flute picture thread should be higher especially as I posted the last picture and none of you commented which made me feel really bad and ignored. :D
I was going to comment, but I was too busy being depressed by the fact that I had just missed out on a Boxwood Wilkes for sale :cry:

Wonderful looking flute that C is, particularly like the bands. Would love to hear how it sounds.

Loren
Denny

Post by Denny »

treeshark wrote:
Denny wrote: :oops: sorry :oops: I'm okay now :oops:
I find that hard to believe... :shock:
might be easier if ya didn't know me so well.... :lol:
treeshark wrote:I think the flute picture thread should be higher especially as I posted the last picture and none of you commented which made me feel really bad and ignored.
jealous....at's alll! :D
azw

Post by azw »

I definitely wouldn't remove the Pakistani flute warning. It saves us all a lot of work. We get a lot of newbies here. That thread answers some of the most common but important questions.

I also like the flute makers thread being a sticky. Thanks to Dale, or whoever did it, making that a sticky.

There is a simple solution that would let us have our cake and eat it too. Create just one sticky that has a list of links to all of the threads we think have lasting value. That thread would have just one message, so it would be locked it so that no one could respond. But moderators would still be able to edit it.
JeffS

Post by JeffS »

The first post for many is, "should I buy this Pakistani flute?" We all say, "no." I don't think the sticky is needed anymore for that.

I don't think we need to look at the pictures of peoples flutes either.

I've long held to the idea that this forum is a place for us to learn to play Irish music better on the flute. So, the sharing clips, and video clips work well.

That's just one opinion.
"Where I came from, to get enough to eat was an achievement. To get enough to get drunk was a victory" (Brendan Behan)
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

I think it depends on what stickies are for - as a matter of board policy? Are they to keep important recurring issues central to the forum visible, especially as resources to newbies and researchers, such as the Beware the Pakistani flutes, or the 78rpm archive, or the newly promoted Makers List ( :D Thanks Dale!), or are they to keep regular activity, high contribution-rate threads like the Posting Clips and YouTube threads stably and conveniently at the top, just in case they have a lull that lets them drift away? The Flute Pics one would have suffered this fate in recent times, I think (most folk posting pics of their flutes lately are doing it in their own new threads or in contextually relevant places in other threads) - which indeed raises a question over its usefulness, but its presence as a sticky keeps it in mind. Or perhaps stickies should be for both these classes of specially important threads, as per the status quo?

BTW, I take Loren's point about the YouTube thread usage above - as one of the (guilty) people to whom he is referring. The trouble is that people don't necessarily look back to the OP to see the intention of the thread once it gets as big as a sticky inevitably does. Maybe the thread titles should be edited for clarity? As they stand, they look like one is for sound clips and one for video clips, regardless of source, unless you check 'em out thoroughly (lazy me :oops: ).

I'm inclined to agree with Treeshark that a poll on which to keep rather than which to ditch might work better. I haven't voted (as I think all the current sticky threads deserve prominence) and can't pinpoint any single one I definitely think should go; pending perhaps some qualification of what sticky status is really for?
Last edited by jemtheflute on Mon May 12, 2008 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

Dale, your poll is badly devised because we can only poll once but your question is which of the following and we may have more than one we want off. So how we gonna poll for that?
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

talasiga wrote:Dale, your poll is badly devised because we can only poll once but your question is which of the following and we may have more than one we want off. So how we gonna poll for that?
I'm all about badly devised things.

It worked out nicely, I think, on the U-Pipes forum, which had a similar array of stickies which most people seemed to want to reduce. So, noting that a minority voted for "leave us alone, Dale," I deleted the top 3 vote getters. It wasn't that hard. It's reversible, too!
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

A suggestion has been made on the maker's list thread which I think makes sense. Let's discuss.

How about ONE sticky labelled something like this:

LINKS TO IMPORTANT INFORMATION: READ FIRST

Then there's be one post in the thread that would look something like this:

Here are links to some important threads on this forum. These either include often-referenced information or are frequently updated and generate broad interest.

Wooden Flute Makers List--our effort at a comprehensive list of flute makers.

The Great and Awesome Flute Youtube Thread--YouTube videos featuring flute playing, making, etc.

Flute Photos!!! Come post your flute pictures :)

Beware of cheap ebay (Pakistani) flutes!--Beginners often ask about these instruments. Here's some information before you buy!

78 RPM flute recordings available online

And, each of those lines would be a link to the appropriate thread. What do you think?
Denny

Post by Denny »

much better! :D