VERY OT: Men's cologne

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Cyfiawnder
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Cyfiawnder »

Can't go wrong with Polo Sport, Drakar Noire, and Nautica! Some of those AXE deoderant body sprays smell nice too and they're cheap!
Wandering_Whistler

Post by Wandering_Whistler »

I've always gotten pretty good results with Lagerfeld (though not the newer 'Lagerfeld Photo'..it smells awful!)
nickt

Post by nickt »

On 2002-12-08 10:44, Wombat wrote:
My favourite is very cheap and home made. It's called BO. Like the whistle of the same abbreviation its's very chiffy and works best when thoroughly warm.
I recall this is the all-time Aussie favourite - positively resplendent in the old rugby changing rooms if I recall. I fear though that our American members won't have the "BO" reference.

Redwolf - men (old and young) are not good at this sort of stuff. Women, however, are. I suggest you ask some young women - they'll quickly get you up to speed. I use "Fahrenheit" because it's the only one that smells okay on me (I'm told) - it also gets occasional positive comments from female friends so I'm sticking with it!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: nickt on 2002-12-09 12:55 ]</font>
burnsbyrne

Post by burnsbyrne »

On 2002-12-08 19:23, johnz wrote:
My favorite is patchouli oil. That might be too distinctive though, a lot of people don't like it.I like anything that has an earthy, herbal smell, what I really want is to find something that smelled like cedar, then I could smell like a hamster.
Take care, Johnz
I thought that the only reason for patchouli was to cover the smell of marijuana smoke!
:smile:
Mike
Stan

Post by Stan »

Have to agree with Greg's choice of Lagerfeld. Cool Water also seems to be popular amongst my friends.
2nd Wind

Post by 2nd Wind »

On 2002-12-08 20:13, Cyfiawnder wrote:
Can't go wrong with Polo Sport, Drakar Noire, and Nautica! Some of those AXE deoderant body sprays smell nice too and they're cheap!
I couldn't have said it better. Besides the Polo Sport and Drakar Noire, & Nautica (which are all awesome)...My recommendation is Cool Water. When I was in High School (8 years ago) this was the smell that drove the girls wild. It still does to this day. :wink:
Do your nephew a favor and get him one of these 4 colognes mentioned here. If not, at least get him CK1, CKB, or the Tommy.
The woven wood beckons...
- Uriah
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

On 2002-12-08 13:06, PhilO wrote:
OK, I'm switching to Aramis posthaste..

Philo
Oh Phil!....Oh, PhilO. . .you care!
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
Stan

Post by Stan »

Edited to remove dupe.........

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Stan on 2002-12-09 17:23 ]</font>
ChrisLaughlin
antispam: No

Post by ChrisLaughlin »

Hmmm... I think cologne and perfume are often quite nasty and offensive in general - forcing a strong, and often unpleasent (to many people) odor on those around you. It's a bit like smoking in a public space, except that it probably won't cause lung cancer for those around you, though it may make their eyes red and itchy, skin irritated, nose twitch, etc.

Regardless, if you're going to spend money on these seriously overpriced mixtures of alcohol and mostly toxic chemicals, the best you could is to NOT buy brands by Abercrombie & Fitch, Tommie Hilfiger, GAP, etc. Those stores, as popular as they may be, are well known exploiters of sweat-shop workers. I make a point not to shop there.

However, I will amost instantly fall hopelessly under the spell of any woman wearing jasmine oil... seriously, try me :wink:
Chris

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ChrisLaughlin on 2002-12-09 17:42 ]</font>
ChrisLaughlin

Post by ChrisLaughlin »

On a more helpful note - it you ARE going to buy him cologne, this website - http://www.scentiments.com - has some very, very good prices (yes, it's totally legit).
Chris
Eldarion

Post by Eldarion »

Hi Redwolf, it depends on what kind of smell your nephew likes of course. Normally I wouldn't recommend the heavy smelling stuff for younger people eg. Drakar Noir or Aramis. You can't go wrong with the following though:

Hugo Boss - HUGO (my favourite, fresh smelling, light)
Hugo Boss - Bottled (a little sweeter, slightly heavier and smells different)
Poco Rabane(sp?) - XXXL (one of my favourites, but tends to smell heavier as the day passes)
Calvin Klein - One (very palatable, pleasant, no one hates this)
Calvin Klein - Eternity (sweeter, less conventional smell, smells better on some than others)
Davidoff - Cool Water (very nice, slightly heavy, smells better on some than others)

The above are all pretty "in", fresh smelling and IMO more suitable for teens (I'm one I should know, right?). I would avoid brands like United Colors of Beneton and A&F for perfume because those tend to be very fruity in a fake way. Try to sample first of course!

Eld-who rarely uses perfume nowadays-arion
CraigMc

Post by CraigMc »

My favorite is Hugo by Hugo Boss. It was pretty trendy a couple years ago. I also used to wear Davidoff Cool Water and Fahrenheit by Christian Dior. Abercrobie might be a good suggestion in that it's trendy enough...although I started stearing clear of them when they began putting out thong underwear for 7-14 year olds.
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

On 2002-12-09 12:54, nickt wrote:
On 2002-12-08 10:44, Wombat wrote:
My favourite is very cheap and home made. It's called BO. Like the whistle of the same abbreviation its's very chiffy and works best when thoroughly warm.
I recall this is the all-time Aussie favourite - positively resplendent in the old rugby changing rooms if I recall. I fear though that our American members won't have the "BO" reference.

Redwolf - men (old and young) are not good at this sort of stuff. Women, however, are. I suggest you ask some young women - they'll quickly get you up to speed. I use "Fahrenheit" because it's the only one that smells okay on me (I'm told) - it also gets occasional positive comments from female friends so I'm sticking with it!
I have to concur with Nick, men just don't have good enough noses for this sort of thing.

The problem is, whatever scent a man wears, it reacts with his production of Wombat-juice, so the same stuff smells different on different people. Plus, the same Wombat-juice smells different to different noses. All very complex and hormonal, just like a teenager.

I used to like Kouros, it always seemed to get the girls panting at University (at least, I hope it was the cologne).
Last couple of years I've been using Calvin Klein's Obsession, on the rare occasions when I bother to use scent at all.

You really need to take the young gent shopping and try different scents on him. Spray a small area, rub it to warm the smell, and take a good whiff. You'll soon run out of small areas to spray!

If all else fails, take a look at magazines like Loaded, FHM (do you have those over there?), etc, they'll be stuffed with ads for smells at this time of year (in fact you'd be hard put to it to find an article).
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing
Jim_B1

Post by Jim_B1 »

My current favorites are Drakkar and Eternity. I'd also suggest having someone who does wear cologne show him how much to put on. Otherwise no matter what he gets, it's going to stink! :smile:
-Jim
CraigMc

Post by CraigMc »

On that link Chris had I found the cologne that my wife has been asking about for ever. It's Herrera for Men. She wanted to know what I wore when we first met and It wasn't any of the ones I mentioned earlier.

Cool thanks Chris.