Idol '08 thread

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Ronbo
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Ronbo »

emmline wrote:
Ronbo wrote:I'm sick of the munchkin's "message" songs. But the real question is "what will the predator choose"? Everything Neil Diamond wrote requires the one thing he doesn't have. A voice.
Song Sung Blue, Badly.
Sorry, I just had to edit your post. Quite probably the one he will pick. :)
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Ronbo wrote:
emmline wrote:
Ronbo wrote:I'm sick of the munchkin's "message" songs. But the real question is "what will the predator choose"? Everything Neil Diamond wrote requires the one thing he doesn't have. A voice.
Song Sung Blue, Badly.
Sorry, I just had to edit your post. Quite probably the one he will pick. :)
I think he might go with the dredlocks and choose Red Red Wine. ;)
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
The Weekenders
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by The Weekenders »

Naw, Dred-boy will sing "He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother" because after all, he is a bro.

Hm.. That is a Neil Diamond song, right???
FJohnSharp
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

Wow, Neil Diamond kicked some Idol butts. After round one, Brooke was a goner whose only hope was that Jason would not rebound. Lucky for her he didn't and she came through. Still, the girls love Jason, and Brooke was in the bottom 3 last week so...

I don't see Simon as being right about Syesha being in trouble. She did enough to move on.

Tough call. Jason should go but I think the popularity aspect of will make it Brooke, unless they listen to Simon.

If I were king, the final 3 would be David, David and Brooke.
BillChin

Post by BillChin »

If this was the only show this season that I saw, I would wonder what the fuss was about. No one really did enough to stand head and shoulders above the others. Quite a few of the first performances were mediocre to poor. Part of that is the schedule crunch of learning two songs. For those that think it is easy to learn two songs in a week, think about how long you might practice to learn a new tune before soloing in public.

The only two that seem safe are the two David's. I would not be surprised if any of the others get voted off. The leadoff jinx might be weaker because of the two performance format.

I felt bad for Paula. It is hard enough for her to sound coherent with the standard format. The rapid fire reviews with the note taking flustered her. Simon was probably needling her all the time, making it harder for Paula to get her notes straight
scheky

Post by scheky »

Funny, I once again thought David A just butchered the tune. He's getting way too much slack due to his age. His last song was worse than some karoke I've heard. The boy just took a powerful song and removed all the "balls" from it. In the end, he left it very stale and true to his style, very Bolton-esque.

Judge Dread didn't do so well on his second tune, but I think he did a good job with "Forever in BlueJeans". Given his fanbase, he's gonna stick around. Heck, if he doesn't do great after the competition, he can get a job as a male model. The womenfolk really like that boy.

David C certainly showed that he's going to take it all. He's the only one who can actually sell the records once the whole thing is over. He's a rockstar regardless of how the competition ends.

Brooke may go home after tonight. She's lacking in the fanbase. I think she did ok, and even had moments of great tonight, but I don't think it's enough to keep her there. I honestly think Syesha did better tonight.
Moonlight

Post by Moonlight »

I'm going to guess that either Jason or Brooke go home tomorrow. Each week they consistently sound worse than the previous week. Jason's first song was okay but the second I can't/don't want to even recall. Brooke's choice," I'm a Believer" actually made me groan out loud. Simon called it a nightmare. I agree. Both seem like nice kids and have talent but it's not enough to compete with the two David's. Syesha is actually improving each week and seems to be showing a bit more personality. Not enough to win but at least showing some growth.
David C. is unique and interesting and I am sure will be recording his own albums in the near future but his voice is nothing remarkable. Neil Diamond referred to David A. as a prodigy and I have to agree. If the vote is based on best singing talent David A. will win.
emmline

Post by emmline »

Must agree with most of what Scheky said.

It's odd, our expectations. Most of these guys are decent enough, in their own way. But I suppose by the time you've made it to the top of the heap on a nationwide vocal talent search people are expecting you to blow them away in a manner quite extraordinary, and that probably rarely happens, even with established talent.
I think Clay Aiken did it when he sang Bridge Over Troubled Water a few seasons ago, and McPhee when she sang Over the Rainbow, and Fantasia with Summertime.
This season only David C. has come anywhere close, imho. And not quite, at that.
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

emmline wrote:...and McPhee when she sang Over the Rainbow,
I had a REAL problem with this performance. Chris Daughtry had that whole big to-do because he "stole" Live's version of Walk the Line (I'm not convinced he left the information out, btw...I still think the powers that be in AI didn't bother to put it into his little clip before his performance...but anyway...), and yet if you listen to McPhee's version of Over the Rainbow, it's almost identical to Eva Cassidy's version. But then, I'm not a huge McPhee fan, so maybe that's clouding my judgement ;)

As for last night, I also agree with Scheky. I, again, was bored with David A. I hate to feel that way too, because he really is talented...I just think he needs to grow a bit more before he'll be at his fullest potential. The world really doesn't need another Davidson/Bolton clone :P

Syesha is good..and she has shown much more personality than she had, but I don't think she has the fan base that even Brooke has. I think this might have been her last performance because of it.

I thought Jason did well with his first song, despite the judges critiques, but I will agree that he's better when he makes the song his own. He has that funny, eclectic type quality about him in his music. I find it appealing.

Brooke really needs someone to help her pick songs. The first one was a nightmare. It's sad too, because her second one was so much better.

David C's first one was ok...but his second was excellent. The guy has way more talent than pretty much anyone else who has ever been on the show. It IS more than a singing competition, and he's the whole package.

Based on the last couple week's eliminations, this might prove to be interesting tonight. I think it will either be Brooke or Syesha...and I'm leaning toward Syesha.
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

I agree with Scheck too.

The one thing that both of us Kouch Klowns (my son and I, who watch Idol together) agreed was that Syesha was the ONLY one who seemed polished and professional last night, and neither of us particularly care for her normally.

Archuleta messed with a great melody, took out the tension-building aspect of Sweet Caroline, which is really important. It was a mess, even though he's still a great singer. And then on the America song, it was just too croony. You know, Neil Diamond has always had kind of a distant quality to his voice, a sharpness, which imprints the song leading to disappointment when it's sweetened.

I've decided that David Cook looks like a seventh-grader from Ohio getting on the school bus in winter right after another kid pulls off his toque (we call 'em beanies here). Will he, just once, comb that damn hair, shave and get his teeth cleaned??? Or wear a hat, or something?

I had hoped that D. Cook would rock out on Solitary Man. I did like the second tune better though.

Brooke, Brooke, Brooke...sigh. She actually did much better with the second song, but what a terrible choice for the first. And the way she banters with the judges, relative to her talent, makes her very unlikable. She ought to be humble that she's even still there.

It's getting to the point that I don't like any of 'em. And that's sad. The contest is collapsing into indifference a mi casa.

High fives all around for Paula's goof-up. I wish we could eliminate her. I don't mind a supportive female stage veteran. But how about one capable of forming a coherent sentence?? I think they should hire Cher. That would be kewl. Plenty of glitz, but advice from somebody who really has done it all...

Bring back Michael Johns. He would have done justice to a Neil Diamond song. Which leads me to final point:

Neil Diamond is a great songwriter. Damn. We might have laughed at a few of those tunes in the day, but when you look at his body of work, he is definitely a man doing the right thing with his talent. I appreciate his songs, now.
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

The Weekenders wrote: Neil Diamond is a great songwriter. Damn. We might have laughed at a few of those tunes in the day, but when you look at his body of work, he is definitely a man doing the right thing with his talent. I appreciate his songs, now.
It's funny...I was kind of scoffing about them doing his music, but after last night I remembered how great his work really is. I don't like ALL of his stuff, but much of it is really, really good. Of course, being a Boston Red Sox fan, Sweet Caroline is my favorite...but that's just me ;) But it was funny that you mentioned this, Weeks, because i was thinking the same thing.
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
emmline

Post by emmline »

The Weekenders wrote: Archuleta messed with a great melody, took out the tension-building aspect of Sweet Caroline, which is really important...
Yes, that's it. I knew I didn't like it, and it just didn't gel. That's why.
A-Musing

Post by A-Musing »

Wait...I just had a spate of precognition...

The two Davids, standing together...anxiously awaiting the Final Judgement.

I CAN"T LOOK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You-Me-Them-Us-IT. Anything Else?
jkwest
Location: the beautiful, untainted NorCal..yes there is one..

Post by jkwest »

my only comment on this show...

I'm secretly in love with Brooke...i think she is the bees knees....I'd take her just as she is and make her breakfast every morning as long as she'd play me the guitar in the nude. I would take her on midnight seaside rendezvous, and watch the ghostly pale light play through her pale hair and bounce off of her porcelain skin. Her dazzling smiling eyes have had me enraptured from the first audition she had on the show....

a part of my heart and soul will slowly die a pitiful, unrepairable death when she is gone....

I will google her for years to come, hoping for any information about this wonderful fallen angel who has graced my heart and made me squirm sitting next to my beautiful wife....

:sniffle:

Seems like everywhere I go
The more I see
the less I know-Michael Franti
Ronbo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Ronbo »

jkwest wrote:my only comment on this show...

I'm secretly in love with Brooke...i think she is the bees knees....I'd take her just as she is and make her breakfast every morning as long as she'd play me the guitar in the nude. I would take her on midnight seaside rendezvous, and watch the ghostly pale light play through her pale hair and bounce off of her porcelain skin. Her dazzling smiling eyes have had me enraptured from the first audition she had on the show....

a part of my heart and soul will slowly die a pitiful, unrepairable death when she is gone....

I will google her for years to come, hoping for any information about this wonderful fallen angel who has graced my heart and made me squirm sitting next to my beautiful wife....

:sniffle:
But when she's gone, you still have Dred. His 11 year old fan base will keep him there until the producer's can't take any more of it. :twisted: