What's your

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
MacEachain
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by MacEachain »

Hi Erik,
I had narrowed my choice down to a Copley, Hamilton or Ormiston. The Copley was'nt practical because of import duty to the UK, from what I'd read on the forum, the Hamilton required quite a lot of air. I could'nt find much in the way of reviews on the forum regarding the Ormiston but as there was nothing negative I gave him a call. In the end I simply decided to go for it, as they say, "fortune favours the bold"

Cheers, Mac
Ronbo
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Ronbo »

My holy grail? Enough talent to go along with any of the flutes that you have all named.
Loren
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

On 2002-11-10 18:36, Ronbo wrote:
My holy grail? Enough talent to go along with any of the flutes that you have all named.
Yeah, I'm on board with that! When I get to the point where I can do the flute that I have, the justice it deserves, then I'll start dreaming of a Holy Grail. In the mean time, if I stumbled across a killer flute with 5 or 6 keys, I wouldn't turn it down, I mean it'll be a loooong time till my name comes up on Patrick O's Keyed Flute list.....

Loren
Dave Parkhurst

Post by Dave Parkhurst »

It'd have to be a two-pronged answer: First, a keyed Copley (I'll probably be ordering a body from you this summer, Dave). For me, unless lightning strikes, that would be the last Irish flute I'd ever need. Then, a wooden Boehm system, either a coccuswood Rudall-Carte, or a grenadilla Powell, Haynes or Abell. Oh yeah, and either a Drelinger, Brannen-Cooper, McLauchlan or Straubinger wooden headjoint. Although I may have to try one of Mark Hoza's headjoints...anybody have any experience with his? And I agree, it will be years and years before I ever use the potential existant in any of these flutes...but I CAN appreciate the tone they generate, and the exquisite workmanship in them (check out the Landell website for a real drooler of a headjoint...silver, engraved gold lip-plate and ruby-inlaid liprest...*shiver*). For right now, I'm awaiting my Gemmie M3S...that's more flute than I have talent for at this point.
Gordon

Post by Gordon »

On 2002-11-18 01:27, Dave Parkhurst wrote:
It'd have to be a two-pronged answer: First, a keyed Copley (I'll probably be ordering a body from you this summer, Dave). For me, unless lightning strikes, that would be the last Irish flute I'd ever need. Then, a wooden Boehm system,.
Ah, but Dave, this is about the Holy Grail flute. We are talking about the ultimate "what if lightening strikes" flute!
But then, you do go on with wooden Boehm system flutes, which are far pricier than the best of the conicals, so... I guess we all dream in different directions.
Now, if you were rich, would you stick to the Copley? Ya, might, Rabbit, ya might, but you might also pick up a few other makes as well..
And those'd be? :smile:
rosenlof

Post by rosenlof »

I think for me, it's not a different flute I'm seeking, but the ability to get nice tone in the 3rd octave (Boehm flute). Progress is slow at times.
Dave Parkhurst

Post by Dave Parkhurst »

Gordon,
I've looked occasionally at a keyed Wilkes in blackwood, but for right now, there's so much I'm still trying to learn about my Copley, and it sounds wonderful to my ear. And besides, if I ordered another flute right now while in school, my wife would hang me by my toes out of a third story window with piano wire.
MandoPaul

Post by MandoPaul »

On 2002-11-20 01:08, Dave Parkhurst wrote:
And besides, if I ordered another flute right now while in school, my wife would hang me by my toes out of a third story window with piano wire.
Ow. I'd stay away from tall buildings and the checkbook for a while, Dave. :smile:
Gordon

Post by Gordon »

On 2002-11-20 01:08, Dave Parkhurst wrote:
Gordon,
I've looked occasionally at a keyed Wilkes in blackwood, but for right now, there's so much I'm still trying to learn about my Copley, and it sounds wonderful to my ear. And besides, if I ordered another flute right now while in school, my wife would hang me by my toes out of a third story window with piano wire.
Well, I don't want to be responsible for that!
From what I hear, the Copley is a fine flute and you may hang onto it the rest of your life. In reality (barring Holy Grail scenarios), there's actually no reason at all to go for another flute, unless you want to add keys or simply have variety. Wilkes makes a great flute, BTW.
Myself, I'm happy with what I have, but would probably want something different, just 'cause!, if I had the money. And if I had the money, my wife'd be fine with me spending it on the occasional flute. But I don't, so... :smile:
brianormond

Post by brianormond »

My flautistic grail? -Consistent, deliberate embouchure for that "hit it just right " sound at will, breath control to do it justice, and enough energy to rock out!
sturob

Post by sturob »

I have to say that I agree with everyone that achieving technical perfection is an admirable holy grail. That said . . . I think David had his mind on the instrument itself.

Just to throw in my dream flute, it'd have to be a boxwood Olwell, Rudall style, fully-keyed with ivory rings. I'm on the list for it, and I think it'll be completed in 2003. I've been lucky enough to have gotten my wish as far as the other instruments I've acquired, and the other half of the grail is the Rudall and Rose I got from David Migoya. It was his personal instrument before he got a large-holed R&R, and it's a wonderful flute.

I guess I do have a grail for the R&R: Chris Abell's making me a new headjoint out of my favorite timber . . . pink ivory! Whoo hoo! I'll have to take some good pictures of the headjoint and flute once that's done.

Stuart
RudallRose

Post by RudallRose »

Stuart is right. I meant for folks to give up their "wish" list of flutes, not playing and the like.
You know, each time I think of my personal Grail flute, the ones I play on all the time suddenly reach up and remind me that they were the Grail for me at one time before.
Funny how that works, eh?
That happened the other night when the Rudall that I've been ignoring a bit got taken out for a session and wham-o, basically told my Pratten to go to hell.
:smile:
ChrisLaughlin

Post by ChrisLaughlin »

If John McHaffie would make a wooden flute in E# I would surely trade all my other flutes for it without hesitation.
Chris
gcollins

Post by gcollins »

Chris:

Amazing. I was thinking that if Haffe McJohnny would make me a flute in Bb, I'd give up the rest. Including the 4 Olwell Nicholsons. :smile:
bluemoon24

Post by bluemoon24 »

I will be be getting my 6 keyed hamilton in blackwood which I am looking forward to. I have also played alongside Chris Abell in some sessions and I have tried out his wooden Boehm system flute which has such an amzing sound (which is not surprising for a $9000 flute!)