They are here!!!

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
cowtime
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

They are here!!!

Post by cowtime »

The two trial oboes have arrived, on schedule and wonderful.

The only bad thing was that I had so much mail today I only had 40 minutes to un-pack and very briefly play a tiny bit on the two oboes, scrounge up something to eat right quick, (peanut butter and banana sandwich) then drive 25 minutes to orchestra practice. :(

The good thing is that my teacher plays with our orchestra and she put the two through their paces scale-wise, then played one for about half of the rehersal, then played the second for about two tunes. She's given me her opinion on them. Now perhaps tomorrow evening I'll have time to properly marvel at them, play a bit more, and make a decision as to which one I am going to keep. i've got five days to decide. I'll definitely keep one of them since either one plays a thousand times easier and better than my old "beater". :) Yippee!
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
Paul

Post by Paul »

Congrats, Cowrime! It sounds like you now have a difficult choice to make!
Denny
antispam: No

Post by Denny »

:D cool!
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

Oh Boy! Oboes! :party:

We want some sound clips, we do.
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
emmline

Post by emmline »

Have fun! Show us which one you pick.
Sober Sam

Post by Sober Sam »

Oh, boy... As I have mentioned before, I work at a music store. To my experience Oboe players are a very special kind of people...
Why do people use aluminum to put beer in it, if you can make whistles out of it?
Flyingcursor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Sober Sam wrote:Oh, boy... As I have mentioned before, I work at a music store. To my experience Oboe players are a very special kind of people...
Yeah, they have brain anyurisms from blowing onto those tiny reeds. :lol:
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

"Trial Oboes".

Sounds medieval to me. Cue the Monty Python Sketch!
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
WyoBadger
Tell us something.: "Tell us something" hits me a bit like someone asking me to tell a joke. I can always think of a hundred of them until someone asks me for one. You know how it is. Right now, I can't think of "something" to tell you. But I have to use at least 100 characters to inform you of that.

Post by WyoBadger »

Woohoo! Enjoy! :party:

(Annie, you sound like Gollum! Give us sound clips, my love. We wants them, we does...)
Fall down six times. Stand up seven.
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

Innocent Bystander wrote:"Trial Oboes".

Sounds medieval to me. Cue the Monty Python Sketch!
I agree :lol:

YAY for you, cowtime!!!! Have a blast with the two of them before you make your choice. And yes, soundclips...we want soundclips! :wink:

I'm all excited for you...I know you've been really excited for this for a while now. :party: :party:
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

A friend in college was a multiple-woodwinds major: clarinet, oboe and saxaphone. She called the oboe her "problem child". :)
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

Flyingcursor wrote:
Sober Sam wrote:Oh, boy... As I have mentioned before, I work at a music store. To my experience Oboe players are a very special kind of people...
Yeah, they have brain anyurisms from blowing onto those tiny reeds. :lol:
Seriously, my wife had to give up the oboe because of that high pressure blowing. It gave her SEVERE headaches.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

I just finished playing on one of them. Actually,I'd have liked to play a bit longer but my mouth "blew out" and I couldn't keep in tune.

Plus, the rest of the fam is due back any minute, and I don't want my granddaughter to get a-hold of them-which means she can't see them- so I'll try to do some sound clips tonight if my mouth is recovered. Not playing for a month and a half has set me back a bit.
John Foster West
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

cowtime wrote:I just finished playing on one of them. Actually,I'd have liked to play a bit longer but my mouth "blew out" and I couldn't keep in tune.

Plus, the rest of the fam is due back any minute, and I don't want my granddaughter to get a-hold of them-which means she can't see them- so I'll try to do some sound clips tonight if my mouth is recovered. Not playing for a month and a half has set me back a bit.
At least your brain didn't blow out!

I'm just kidding about all of this brain stuff, heck a bassoon would be worse. I'd love to learn to play oboe, and the bassoon too. I love the sound of an oboe and maybe someday I'll try to play one. I play flute and have played sax and clarinet so the fingering won't be a problem.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

I'm just kidding about all of this brain stuff, heck a bassoon would be worse
Now I'll start by saying that I've never tried bassoon, but, the bassoon player in our orchestra told me that she tried oboe. She then told her director that she wasn't blowing her brains out on that thing. She says it's easier to blow than oboe. ????

I don't know.... It really doesn't take that much air exactly, just a lot of air pressure. Heck, you can play a lot of measures on one breath, but the brain starts saying"Hey, I need some oxygen and th' stuff in them lungs down thair is all used up". You end up having to exhale before you can inhale. Plus there is a loss of finger control due to lack of oxygen at some point, if you don't keep up with the breaths, even though you may still have "air".

Clarinet fingerings are different, but the whistle has helped. The basics are pretty much the same as whistle- there's just a lot more than six holes and a lot more back-pressure. And that's not to mention the reed problems .....

I recorded a couple of things tonight with Audacity, but haven't figured out how to turn them into MP3s for export yet. You can be thankful for that. It's not very pretty at this stage of the game. :P But it was helpful to compare the sound differences between the two. I have a couple more days before I decide, but the French Rigoutat is much easier handling and has a more mellow sound so I'm leaning in that direction...
John Foster West