Vegitarianism

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Doc Jones
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Vegitarianism

Post by Doc Jones »

I'm moving toward changing my diet in a fairly dramatic way for a variety of reasons. I won't go into all the reasons here as a few (but not most) of them would be better suited to the proctology forum.

I'd like very much to know more about a more "vegetarian" lifestyle.

Those of you who have taken the plunge...

What the heck do you eat all day? I'd like some really specific guidance on how to construct a diet devoid of dead critters and milk if anyone cares to lend a hand. :)

I will continue to eat eggs as my little buddies make them for me in the backyard. They're having a great life puttering around free on two acres and don't seem to need the eggs for anything.

Anyway, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Doc
:) Doc's Book

Want to learn about medicinal herbs?
Doc's Website

Want to become a Clinical Herbalist? Doc's Herb School
emmline

Post by emmline »

Well Doc...you're describing my diet, mostly. I avoid milk and cheese (headaches,) and most meat except for a bit of fish. I do eat eggs.

I think the real hurdle to overcome is thinking in terms of "main course."
Because to most people main course means some type of meat.

There doesn't have to be a main course. Most people get adequate protein just by eating foods that are good for them...veggies, grains, a few legumes and nuts.

So it's kind of a matter of what do you like?
Eat soup--throw some lentils or garbanzos in it. (Along with all the veggies you have around, plus a can of tomatoes and seasonings.)
Eat spaghetti--you can use veggie meatballs or ground soy crumbles (not half bad) if you like, but it's not required.
Eat salad and toss on some nuts or lentils. Or seasoned tofu, cut up.

Tonight the kid ate mac&cheese, and I ate "Sardinian Peasants' Supper" which is pre-packaged lentils and pasta and seasonings you simmer up.

But if you are more inclined than I to spend time in food prep (and it's fun when I do it, I just seem to run out of time most days) there are multitudes of cookbooks to suggest good salads, soups, pasta dishes, and even good old-fashioned main courses.

p.s...I just noticed you said "all day."
I eat cooked grains (amaranth, quinoa, oatmeal) for breakfast with fruit (but cereal and soymilk is easier,) and if you want a sandwich there's always p & j, or hummus & veg, or veggie bologna, or smartbacon, lettuce and tomato. (yum.)
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

Because of the Asperger Syndrome/High-Functioning Autism, I'm much more tolerant of what Neurotypicals (normal people) would call a "boring diet".

But here is what I had today:

Breakfast:

Several rounds of home-made toast, and cereal with milk (weetabix. At weekends I have porridge, when there is more time).

Lunch is a bag lunch at work. I have an apple, a banana, a (peeled) carrot and a sandwich (on home-made bread). Mondays & Fridays the filling is Vegetarian Paté. Wednesdays it's Crunchy peanut butter. Tuesdays and Thursdays it's Marmite.

When I come home from work I might have a couple of bags of crisps (potato chips) amounting to about 60-70g. Or some toast, or some popcorn.

Evening meal is late - usually around eight or nine o'clock. Tonight we had Tagliatelli with a TVP (Textured Vegetable Protein) Bolognese-ish sauce. And Parmesan Cheese. And a Beer. (Badger's "Golden Glory" Ale.)

I'm a "nut" vegetarian. If I was cooking for myself I'd have more lentils and more nuts. My wife isn't vegetarian and she insists that I am a meat-eater manqué, and gives me a lot of meat-substitute. We used to do a lot of cheese, but I'm glad we don't these days.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
susnfx
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by susnfx »

Doc, I found this recipe book that's much more the down-to-earth type of vegetarian cooking I like--casseroles, soups, stews--hearty and very good. Not so much a drastic change for us meat-and-potatoes eaters. I've found it very useful.

http://www.amazon.com/Betty-Crockers-Ve ... 0028622618

P.S. It uses mostly items you can buy at your regular grocery store--no need to head off to the unknown health food store.

Susan
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

susnfx wrote:Doc, I found this recipe book that's much more the down-to-earth type of vegetarian cooking I like--casseroles, soups, stews--hearty and very good. Not so much a drastic change for us meat-and-potatoes eaters. I've found it very useful.

http://www.amazon.com/Betty-Crockers-Ve ... 0028622618

P.S. It uses mostly items you can buy at your regular grocery store--no need to head off to the unknown health food store.

Susan
Thanks for this Susan (although, I'm not Doc ;) ). I've been looking at the possibility myself for some time now. In fact, I just told Mr Izz earlier today that I would like to start working toward pretty much what Doc has outlined. For ME, I just don't really like meat all that much. I'd rather the lentils, chick peas, and tofu. And salads...I could live on them. But IB can keep his Marmite ;)
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

Japanese food usually does not involve any milk and often do not involve much meat that cannot be substituted for something else. If you have come to the point that you cannot eat meat, I can understand, and it will be a difficult change. If you dislike eating meat, I would suggest that you start with one or two days a week that are vegetarian, and work up to complete veggie.

I know how to make pretty good naan, and my wife knows how to make great chatnee and kebabs (vegan). I'll try to collaborate with her and type out a recipe later.

Umm...
What is your spice tolerance?

Oh, and I am only a part time vegetarian.
Last edited by I.D.10-t on Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
pastorkeith

Post by pastorkeith »

Well Doc, we eliminated beef and pork this year.
A baby step of sorts.
Let us know how it goes - you can stick your toe in the water for the rest of us.

pastorkeith
"We cannot all do great things, but we can do small things with great love."-- Mother Teresa
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

Still a work in progress

Curry Corn Chowder

1 tbsp oil
5 onions
1 tbsp ground coriander
1 tbsp ground cardamom
1 tbsp cumin
1 tbsp turmeric
Crushed red peppers to taste.
1 tbsp Crushed nigella (optional)
1 tbsp crushed mustard seeds
2 tbsp paprika
White pepper
3 cloves crushed garlic
5 potatoes
1 lbs corn.
Vegetable stock or water*

Chop and saute the onions in the oil adding the ground spices as you stir. When the onions are soft add diced potatoes. Adding water* (or stock) to keep the potatoes from sticking. When the potatoes are soft add more stock and frozen corn. Bring close to a boil and serve.

*We are working on milk substitutes like coconut milk, soy milk, etc. instead of water, but it is still a work in progress.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

ID, that sounds like a wonderful recipe. I hope I remember it's here when it gets cool again.

I've tried the vegetarian thing, not for long periods or for some particular reason. I love beans and cheese. Unfortunately, both cause me problems -- my constitution really can't handle beans more than 3 times a week, and I have high cholesterol, so too much cheese is out. My wife is a former veggie, and we still probably only eat meat 4-5 times a week.

Some veggie meals I make:

bean chili
beans and rice
tofu stir fry
loads of Indian stuff
spaghetti with marinara sauce

Here are a couple of recipes; one main course and one side

(I have no idea what this is called. I had it at a fancy Italian place.)

1 can tomato paste
a handful of green olives
1-2 tbsp capers
cayenne or hot paprika to taste
some parmesan or romano cheese

1/2 lb of ziti, rigatoni, or the like

I dilute the paste with enough water to make it a little easier to handle
put it in a very small pan over low heat, or a Pyrex cup to microwave
slice the olives thin and add them, the capers and cayenne/pap to the sauce
heat

Toss the pasta with this mixture and serve with cheese.

This is seriously easy and delicious. Adjust the amount up and heat down if you have many many kids.

Ethiopian ginger fried vegetables

This is one that's pretty flexible in terms of ingredients. I always use potatoes and green beans.

few Tbsp olive oil
few cloves garlic
1" or so fresh ginger
red pepper flakes
minced onion
minced green pepper

Saute these till the root are soft

Cubed potatoes
green beans
carrots
celery
etc.

cook these till they're mostly done
add them to the other stuff
You might want some powdered ginger, too
You'll also probably want a generous pinch of salt.

Very tasty. Can be a main dish or a side.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
hyldemoer

Post by hyldemoer »

Let me first state that I have no problem (for the time being) with meat, poultry and fish as long as its ethically raised, killed, and processed.
That, because of its price when those observances are done, sort of puts it in the category of condiment however.

In the winter we were eating mostly out of the crock pot (stews of mostly roots & beans with some mushrooms & seaweeds), a rice cooker (all varieties of rice), and fermented vegetables (not too difficult with the right crocks to do it in).

Since its warmed up this spring I switched over to mostly raw and "live" foods. Its been something I've been curious about since meeting so many people as clients during the winter months who had messed up their health with raw foods.
I read up about it then wondered if the issue was just a case of paying attention and doing it correctly.

I also wondered if I could resolve my personal adventure with auto-immune disease on a properly done raw and live food diet.

I've been growing (sprouting and fermenting) a drink called Rejuvelac and then processing (food processored) the sprouted wheatberries plus some other sprouts and vegetables in my dehydrator into crackers and breads. Besides drinking the Rejuvelac straight, it goes into my green leafy "smoothies". The vegetables that are difficult to chew I either marinate, ferment, or lightly steam. Many of my "salad dressings" are meals in themselves of sprouted and then processed seeds and nuts.

I was thinking of attending a retreat school sometime this summer for further research in raw foods. The one presented by Gabriel Cousens where one learns not only to prepare raw foods but also do hatha yoga and invoke various angels in ritual where we'd get to pound on drums sounds enticing to me, but my husband says the cups of sprouting seeds & nuts and trays of wheatgrass I already have growing around the apartment and the processing of the kitchen scraps in either a vermiculture or bokashi (to be recycled back as a growing medium) are proof enough that I've already stepped off the deep end way farther than he is comfortable with.

He eats what I prepare for him. He just doesn't seem to want to know what it is I'm feeding him.
Last edited by hyldemoer on Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
djm

Post by djm »

The thing with beans is that your body needs an extra enzyme to digest them. And where do you get this extra enzyme? Why, from eating beans, of course! That bloated feeling goes away the longer and more often you eat beans.

The other thing about beans is that they are an incomplete protein. You need to eat beans along with a grain of some kind: rice, bread, etc. Throw in some lentils in your beans for added folic acid.

I soak beans overnight and boil for an hour before serving along with brown basmati rice 6-7 nights per week - 1/3 cup each of beans and rice per person, plus 1/4 cup lentils. Flavour with whatever suits you. I like curry pastes (tandoori, vindaloo, etc.). Add a salad or some frozen veg for a complete meal.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
hyldemoer

Post by hyldemoer »

djm wrote:The thing with beans is that your body needs an extra enzyme to digest them. And where do you get this extra enzyme? Why, from eating beans, of course! That bloated feeling goes away the longer and more often you eat beans.

The other thing about beans is that they are an incomplete protein. You need to eat beans along with a grain of some kind: rice, bread, etc. Throw in some lentils in your beans for added folic acid.

I soak beans overnight and boil for an hour before serving along with
The soaking of the beans and cooking might be enough to inactivate the protease inhibitor found in beans.
Another method is to ferment the beans as they do with miso.

Ahhhh, miso! Great stuff!
djm

Post by djm »

The world is treating me bad ..... <A TARGET="NEW" HREF="http://youtube.com/watch?v=-lIRIKn6DTw">Miso-ry</A> :D

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Flyingcursor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

10 posts before the ethics card was brought out? I'm shocked it took so long.

I'll go out and graze while waiting for future developments.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
hyldemoer

Post by hyldemoer »

Flyingcursor wrote:10 posts before the ethics card was brought out? I'm shocked it took so long.

I'll go out and graze while waiting for future developments.
Kalamazoo, as in Kalamazoo Michigan? The Mr. and I will be near there the first weekend of June for Midwest Banjo Camp.

Last year at banjo camp (when it was up in East Lansing) we noticed the students were a couple decades older and the food was a lot better at banjo camp than it has ever been at any yoga conference we've attended.

The Mr. postulates that playing the banjo and eating the kind of food banjo people eat is healthier than doing yoga and eating yoga cult rabbit food.