Cross-cultural psychology & music

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
fearfaoin
antispam: No

Post by fearfaoin »

Dammit, talisiga. I actually think giving you a better
forum search function would not be for the benifit of all. :)
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

fearfaoin wrote:Dammit, talisiga. I actually think giving you a better
I often have this vision of him hunched over his 'puter deep into the wee hours, combing and combing through mountain after mountain of the Chiffly record, mousing and tapping away with a mad sense of purpose, and, dare I say it, glee. :wink:
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Ronbo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Ronbo »

Nanohedron wrote:
I often have this vision of him hunched over his 'puter deep into the wee hours, combing and combing through mountain after mountain of the Chiffly record, mousing and tapping away with a mad sense of purpose, and, dare I say it, glee. :wink:
Madness, yes. Sense of purpose, much harder to decipher, grasshopper. :D
Denny

Post by Denny »

I get the sense that he does it on purpose :P
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

Ronbo wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:
Madness, yes. Sense of purpose, much harder to decipher, grasshopper. :D
Some things are simply beyond the ken of........well, just about almost anyone.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

Nanohedron wrote:I often have this vision of him hunched over his 'puter deep into the wee hours, combing and combing through mountain after mountain of the Chiffly record, mousing and tapping away with a mad sense of purpose, and, dare I say it, glee. :wink:
Nano, I am worried about you. First a bit of linguistic bi-polarism, and now this. Repeated visions of a gleeful Tal at a computer aren't wholesome. Why don't you get out a bit more? What you need is adventure. I am sure that there is that special someone in your life, who would love to spend a bit more time. Do something exciting together --- perhaps attend a philatelic convention, or visit an entomological exhibition. Read about the truly astonishing recent changes in GAAP. Go on, do it: mix half a scoop of regular in with the de-caf.
/Bloomfield
Denny

Post by Denny »

have the cat talk ya for a walk :D
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Bloomfield wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:I often have this vision of him hunched over his 'puter deep into the wee hours, combing and combing through mountain after mountain of the Chiffly record, mousing and tapping away with a mad sense of purpose, and, dare I say it, glee. :wink:
Nano, I am worried about you. First a bit of linguistic bi-polarism, and now this. Repeated visions of a gleeful Tal at a computer aren't wholesome. Why don't you get out a bit more? What you need is adventure. I am sure that there is that special someone in your life, who would love to spend a bit more time. Do something exciting together --- perhaps attend a philatelic convention, or visit an entomological exhibition. Read about the truly astonishing recent changes in GAAP. Go on, do it: mix half a scoop of regular in with the de-caf.
Just had a brand-new security door installed for the building's laundry room. I'm whiz-bang ecstatic about it, as you can imagine.
Denny

Post by Denny »

I'll put off the imagin' 'till after lunch, thanks.... :)
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Denny wrote:Darwin, after many years, was able to leave the house and reenter the outside world.

He stayed in touch for a little while.
Yeah. I wonder how he's doing. He liked good coffee too.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
Denny

Post by Denny »

that he did :lol:
CHasR

Re: Cross-cultural psychology & music

Post by CHasR »

Dale wrote: The researchers have presented some "emotional-expression" rules that are pretty much cross-cultural in music. No surprises here. Softer and slower is sadder, louder and faster is happier. There are a number of others that are more elaborate and sophisticated.

The researchers also think that these emotional-expression musical rules are related to human language. Soft music and quiet speech are probably linked in the mind, and both are linked to sadness (broadly stated). This may derive from the biology of sound production. When people are sad, their vocal cords relax. This muffles the voice, making it likely that sad people will sing or speak softly. When people are angry or happy, the vocal cords tense up, which makes for louder vocal sounds.
so, is one of these researchers a bearded old Aussie phd who makes college kids sit down blindfolded with their finger on a touch-sensitive button, and respond through touch to synthesized sounds supposed to represent 'joy', 'anger', 'sadness', 'happiness', etc. and then goes into the bush and does the same thing to Aboriginal people, who responded the same way to the same sounds when he analyzes the data back in the lab?

or not?