Find out your irishness level/score

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Aanvil
antispam: No

Post by Aanvil »

Todd wrote:A good tune is a good tune, regardless of when it was composed, who wrote it, where it came from, what instrument it is played on, even if you remember the name! (It's hard to remember a tune's title after a few pints :lol: )What matters is that it is played well, with a "feel" that suites the tune.

Not quite getting the point of this exercise. : -50

:P :lol: :)
Aanvil

-------------------------------------------------

I am not an expert
Denny

Post by Denny »

:o not even the right ball park :P
Azalin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Azalin »

There's one I forgot to add. Playing an old out of tune whistle, almost half a tone sharp... +100!

PS: Based on my experience at some old session near Doolin :lol:
MaryC
Tell us something.: Playing the whistle is so much easier than playing the accordion: I've never yet found an accordion which would fit into my handbag!

Re: Find out your irishness level/score

Post by MaryC »

4) Play until after midnight (+25 one time bonus)
9) Drink pints of beer: +5 (one time bonus)
12) Play a set of three tunes: +5
13) Play a set of two tunes: +3
14) Start a conversation between two sets: +3
15) Not knowing the name of a tune that's just been played: +2
16) Play two tunes in a row in the same key (unless it's a known set): -1
23) Play a non irish tune: -5
24) Play a scottish tune: -5 (means -10 including 23)
26) Play the whistle only (bodhran doesnt count): -3
29) Play the tune from sheet music: -10
33) Play an english tune: -15 (means -20 including 23)

Hee ... that gives me a score of 2!

Actually .. it's kinda like me being in Ireland: the Eastern Europeans think I'm Irish. As do most French/Spanish/Portugese and I suspect Asians too (haven't met many of the latter). The Africans kind of know that I'm not Irish, but have no idea what I might be. The Irish and English think I'm Australian. The Americans here are confused - they've asked if I'm from Ireland, Australia, NZ and South Africa. But Americans in the US generally thought I was Irish. And me ... I'm whatever I feel like from minute to minute (dual passports! :) )
Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

Azalin wrote:11) Smoke *while* playing your instrument: +5 per tune
You know, I played the whistle some years before I quit smoking. I never put my cigarette in an ashtray (because I didn't like how it'd make the bottom half of a cigarette burn out)--I have hundreds of points just for this one.
cowtime
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by cowtime »

Wanderer wrote:
You know, I played the whistle some years before I quit smoking. I never put my cigarette in an ashtray (because I didn't like how it'd make the bottom half of a cigarette burn out)--I have hundreds of points just for this one.
Tell me how? I'm happy to find I can get points for smoking. :P

How 'bout points for blowing smoke rings from the whistle while playing?
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Azalin wrote:Get ready for an update to my famous "Irishness Level" list. It will be updated with more modern stuff like having a bonus if your mobile rings during a tune, but having an extra bonus if you actually stop playing, pick the phone, and start talking.
You're a bit behind the curve, Az. The thing du jour for the musicians is texting, now. Yes, it's more polite than blithely yapping away while the chunes are smokin' at the session, but they do it whenever. They tolerate my insistence on hearing an actual voice.

There's a local Irish expat - not a musician, as far as I know - whose ringtone is a sample of a cat's meow. Very cool.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

cowtime wrote:
Wanderer wrote:
Tell me how? I'm happy to find I can get points for smoking. :P

How 'bout points for blowing smoke rings from the whistle while playing?
I'd just jam the filter way up high in between my fingers, near the base of my fingers.

not so much like this:

but more like this:

Of course, you could always just let it dangle from one corner of lips and play out the other but i never cared for how that would get smoke in my eye :)
MarkP

Post by MarkP »

... only problem is you'd be giving your game away smoking those filter tips instead of a good rolling tobacco. You need to have one rolled up ready sitting invitingly on the table so you can feign a sudden to desire to pop out for a smoke as soon as the fiddle player starts up the Shetland set.
BrassBlower

Post by BrassBlower »

Denny wrote:what if the ring tone is the same as the tune being played? :twisted:
Good question.

Also, what if your ring tone is the infamous "A.T.&T. Jig" (nee "Cingular Jig")? :P
https://www.facebook.com/4StringFantasy

I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.

-Galileo
WyoBadger
Tell us something.: "Tell us something" hits me a bit like someone asking me to tell a joke. I can always think of a hundred of them until someone asks me for one. You know how it is. Right now, I can't think of "something" to tell you. But I have to use at least 100 characters to inform you of that.

Post by WyoBadger »

Nanohedron wrote:
Azalin wrote:Get ready for an update to my famous "Irishness Level" list. It will be updated with more modern stuff like having a bonus if your mobile rings during a tune, but having an extra bonus if you actually stop playing, pick the phone, and start talking.
You're a bit behind the curve, Az. The thing du jour for the musicians is texting, now. Yes, it's more polite than blithely yapping away while the chunes are smokin' at the session, but they do it whenever. They tolerate my insistence on hearing an actual voice.

There's a local Irish expat - not a musician, as far as I know - whose ringtone is a sample of a cat's meow. Very cool.
I've been trying to find an elk bugle ringtone. No luck yet.

T
Fall down six times. Stand up seven.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

WyoBadger wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:

I've been trying to find an elk bugle ringtone. No luck yet.

T
What I want is to be able to put any tune I have in mind into the ringy thingy. There's gotta be some way, note-by-note.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
MarkP

Post by MarkP »

Most phones you can allocate any mp3 or MIDI file to be the ring tone. You just need a USB cable or blutooth to transfer the file from your computer to your phone and you're away. I did try putting a whistle air on mine once... but not for long
Denny

Post by Denny »

BrassBlower wrote:
Denny wrote:what if the ring tone is the same as the tune being played? :twisted:
Good question.

Also, what if your ring tone is the infamous "A.T.&T. Jig" (nee "Cingular Jig")? :P
If your ring tone is the infamous "A.T.&T. Jig"
And is the same as the tune being played
Then you need to find a different session.