New scam or virus spreader?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
brewerpaul
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

New scam or virus spreader?

Post by brewerpaul »

OK-- today my wife and I received some "free" software in the mail. These were totally unsolicited.They arrived in plain white cardboard mailers, no return address. Hers was Microsoft Works 9, and mine was VersionTracker Pro. Looks like they were burned on home burnable CD (blue backs). The labels look fairly good, but I really don't know.
With postage and the cost of CDs, this seems like a pretty expensive way to try to spread viruses and malware, but I'm afraid to put them in my CD drive. Anyone heard of this?
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
peeplj
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by peeplj »

I've not heard of it, but there's no way I would ever put those in your CD drive.

No return address and unmarked envelope?

Somebody is trying to do you dirty.

Throw 'em away.

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

peeplj wrote:Throw 'em away.
Break 'em first.
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
Tyler
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

jsluder wrote:
peeplj wrote:Throw 'em away.
Break 'em first.
naw thats the stupid way!
put em in the microwave for three or four seconds!
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
brewerpaul

Post by brewerpaul »

I have an old computer that is 'way out of date and of no use to anyone. I may delete all personal info on it , then try one of the discs
Got wood?
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

brewerpaul wrote:I have an old computer that is 'way out of date and of no use to anyone. I may delete all personal info on it , then try one of the discs
Take it loose from the network first.

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Agreed! Keep your machine off the grid. And install and activate your on-access virus/malware scanning SW before even popping them in. Maybe you can sniff out where they're from.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
gonzo914

Post by gonzo914 »

I always open suspect emails on one of the client's machines. The same would apply to a suspect CD.
Crazy for the blue white and red
Crazy for the blue white and red
And yellow fringe
Crazy for the blue white red and yellow
anniemcu
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

If you received these through the US Mail, and they are carriers of intentionally malicious code, it is a Federal offense. Keep the mailing packaging.

I would not put them in any machine, personally. You didn't request them, or expect them, and you are suspicious of the product legitimacy. Don't use them at all. The likelihood of them being anything you actually want or need is tiny, and the chance of damaging your system or of installing a gateway for spam is too much.
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

?lichen?
Cotelette d'Agneau
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

Yeah, maybe return them to the post office and explain your suspicions...let them deal with it.
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

Nah! send 'em to Microsoft!
All the best!

mitch
http://www.ozwhistles.com
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

Mitch wrote:Nah! send 'em to Microsoft!
That gets my vote. They're itching for someone to pulverise. Let'em expend their energies on something worth pulverising.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
brewerpaul

Post by brewerpaul »

anniemcu wrote:If you received these through the US Mail, and they are carriers of intentionally malicious code, it is a Federal offense. Keep the mailing packaging.

I would not put them in any machine, personally. You didn't request them, or expect them, and you are suspicious of the product legitimacy. Don't use them at all. The likelihood of them being anything you actually want or need is tiny, and the chance of damaging your system or of installing a gateway for spam is too much.
I realize that they're probably bogus at best, dangerous at worst. I was
thinking of using them in a "sacrificial" computer mainly out of curiosity, not hoping to get some useful software. And yes, this particular computer I'm talking about is definitely NOT attached to any network.
Got wood?
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

brewerpaul wrote:
anniemcu wrote:If you received these through the US Mail, and they are carriers of intentionally malicious code, it is a Federal offense. Keep the mailing packaging.

I realize that they're probably bogus at best, dangerous at worst. I was
thinking of using them in a "sacrificial" computer mainly out of curiosity, not hoping to get some useful software. And yes, this particular computer I'm talking about is definitely NOT attached to any network.
Nah - send 'em to microsoft and make those fat cows work for the first time in a decade!

Demand a comprehensive report!

And write back pretending you understand it (use made-up acronymns - the bets lie in the book ... they use them too, but they don't think anyone else is in-the-loop with the made-up-acronymn thing.) <dot>

If they ask for definitions of your acronymns - refer them to their acronymns (one of their letters is one of yours) - ask them to gguess which one!!! <ha ha ha > they will rise to the bait and start getting technical - send their reply to someone you know who is truly technical and get the "priesthood" at war with each-other ... I swear - they willl offer to settle out-of-court!!!

They will privately thank you for the first time they had an oportunity to use their formidible brains for s-o-o-o-o-o long. And invite you to spend summer at their spaaaaa. (got to have reliable character-witnesses at their next indictment).

It's easy. You just got a golden ticket in your letterbox ;)

(BTW - unstamped unaddressed? Your perp lives 2 doors away - extort the basmati :) )
All the best!

mitch
http://www.ozwhistles.com