Acoustic guitar suggestions

Our first forum for instruments you don't blow.
Doc Jones
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Acoustic guitar suggestions

Post by Doc Jones »

Hi gang,

I'm a long-time guitarist. My primary instrument is a Ramirez classical guitar which I play fingerstyle. Of late I've been wanting a good acoustic.

I'd like something with a bit of width in the neck (having played classical for years, most acoustics feel a bit cramped for me).

I'm willing to spend $1-2k (also willing to spend less). I'm looking for a sweet, warm tone and great sustain. Some of the guitarists I admire are James Taylor, Jim Croce, Dan Fogleberg and co. ...so you kind of get a feel for the style I play.

So, any recommendations? Anybody got one they want to swap for a flute or pipes or something?

Doc
:) Doc's Book

Want to learn about medicinal herbs?
Doc's Website

Want to become a Clinical Herbalist? Doc's Herb School
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

You'll get many different answers and opinions, I'm sure. :-)

But for that kind of money I'd look for a nice Martin D-18 (mahagony) or D-28 (rosewood). It's what you want. It's the standard, the original. It's a great, rich, versatile instument. You'll have it a lifetime (and a lifetime warranty with a new one).

It's like an Overton Low D. Lots of nice low whistles out there, but it's hard to top the original.

As for fingerboard width, you might want to rethink that. A steel string acoustic is a very different instrument from your Ramirez, and the narrower neck is appropriate for exploiting its capabilities to the fullest.

I also have a (long scale) Ramirez, and I would never want a neck that wide on my steel string. Fingering becomes strained, flatpicking becomes very awkward, and fingerpicking is no problem at all on the narrow neck. In fact, there are techniques which are really only practical with the closer string spacing, so you'd be limiting your ability to fully grow into the instrument.

For example, I also have a wide-neck Martin D-28S. It's a lovely finger picking guitar, but I would never want it as my main instrument. For that, my Martin M-36 is all I could ask for. I happen to prefer the 0000 form factor and sound for what I play, but I don't hesitate to recommend a dreadnaught as a fine all around guitar.

Doc, PM or e-mail me if you want to chat about this, and I'll be happy to do a brain dump. :-)
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Ro3b
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Ro3b »

Don't the smaller-bodied Martins have slightly wider necks than usual? It might be worth looking into one of those.

For fingerstyle work, the guitar I will eventually own is a Martin 000-18. Musician's Friend has them for US$1,999. Just within your budget!
unregulated

Post by unregulated »

hi Doc
the only decent Martin I’ve played in a while that fits your spec. was a MARTIN 00028VS Price: £2,399.00 yeah £’s.
There are a lot better guitars out there for a lot less money. Remember there are up and coming makers to.
Here in the Scotland I’ve tried Walden and Vintage guitars from the far east that sounded great (wished they’d been around 45 years ago. There'll be others, have a good root aboot.
yours Geordie
Sober Sam

Post by Sober Sam »

Hi
I highly recommend a Seagull Artist model, folk sized. They are made in La Patrie, Québec. Absolutely fantastic Instruments and really reasonably prized. And they are known for having rather wide fingerboards. Check it out, you'll love it. I love 'em.
Why do people use aluminum to put beer in it, if you can make whistles out of it?
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

Sober Sam wrote:Hi
I highly recommend a Seagull Artist model, folk sized. They are made in La Patrie, Québec. Absolutely fantastic Instruments and really reasonably prized. And they are known for having rather wide fingerboards. Check it out, you'll love it. I love 'em.
I went to buy one of the newer low-end Martins and was talked into trying a
Seagull. I bought the Seagull instead. For the same price as the Martin, it had
nicer tone and had a very nice bridge pickup. I know it wouldn't stack up to the
high-end Martins, but it has a heck of a bang for the buck. It's got a very full
sound, great low end, and I've been told often it's the perfect guitar for my
voice (I'm a Tenor with Baritone coloring).
canpiper

Post by canpiper »

For that price, I'd stay away from Martin's Doc. Check out Larrivee. You can get an L-09 or OM-09 for under 2K. Handmade in California, solid sitka spruce tops, solid rosewood sides and back, maple binding, bound ebony fret boards, natural high gloss finish, and they sound and play like nothing else. You'd have to spend twice as much on a Martin to get anything close, and even then....

You can pick up an L-05 or OM-05 for even less - just over a thousand - and they're the same as the 09's but with Mahogany sides and back.

I wouldn't buy a high-end acoustic until you've at least tried a few Larrivee's, but that's my own fanaticism--I mean, enthusiasm for them talking.

I've owned two seagull's and a couple other Godin guitar's, and I agree that they're good value for money, but Larrivee's are just at a different level. They're the quality of high-end Martin's for the price of low end Martin's. And they sound nicer than any of the above, IMHO. Check them out.

http://www.12fret.com/retail/glarri.htm
http://larrivee.com/
http://elderly.com/new_instruments/items/OM09.htm
http://elderly.com/vintage/items/20U-11625.htm
http://youtube.com/watch?v=0s_loXy3ExE
http://youtube.com/watch?v=1NbWem3xHoc
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

Ro3b wrote:Don't the smaller-bodied Martins have slightly wider necks than usual? It might be worth looking into one of those.

For fingerstyle work, the guitar I will eventually own is a Martin 000-18. Musician's Friend has them for US$1,999. Just within your budget!
I second the Martin investment. You won't regret it. I think they have kept their quality up through the years, and they are 'keepers'.

Yes, they have some wider necked models, or at least did. I have an 0021, which has a fingerboard closer to classical width. However, the D-18 and D-28 (dreadnaughts) aren't really skinny, though they would indeed take some adjustment since you are used to classical.
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
Doc Jones

Post by Doc Jones »

I own a seagull acoustic and quitel like it...just looking for the next step. I have another buddy preaching Larivee to me zealously. Guess I"d better check them out.

Doc
:) Doc's Book

Want to learn about medicinal herbs?
Doc's Website

Want to become a Clinical Herbalist? Doc's Herb School
canpiper

Post by canpiper »

Doc Jones wrote:I own a seagull acoustic and quitel like it...just looking for the next step. I have another buddy preaching Larivee to me zealously. Guess I"d better check them out.

Doc
You'll thank both of us, I guarantee it.
Adrian W.

Post by Adrian W. »

Check if there are any Yamaha LL series guitars around....when I bought mine, we played everything in the 'special guitar room'....Martins (which I like), Taylors, Larrivees, Gibson (they're making pretty nice guitars again)....also Seagulls, can't remember what else. There were three of us in there, my buddy and me and a stranger. All three of us kept coming back to the Yamahas, and to date noone has tried my guitar without loving it. They're beuatifully handmade, and incredible value, and in this area the music store people and pro players know that. I bought the lowest end one, the LL6, listed at around $1000, for $800 (laminated back and sides, but it sounded as good as the LL 16 which is all solid and goes for a few hundred more). Then there are fancier and fancier guitars up the line.

Give them a try if you see one; good guitars.