Happy

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
WyoBadger
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: "Tell us something" hits me a bit like someone asking me to tell a joke. I can always think of a hundred of them until someone asks me for one. You know how it is. Right now, I can't think of "something" to tell you. But I have to use at least 100 characters to inform you of that.

Happy

Post by WyoBadger »

Hi, kids.

We interrupt Em's civics quiz to make the following anouncement:

It is just over 60F; I just gave the dog his first (desperately needed) bath of the spring, and a meadowlark is singing right outside the open screen door.

Ain't life grand? :D

Tom
Fall down six times. Stand up seven.
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Haha. My brother and SIL just left after a week-long visit from New Hampshire. There were still a couple of feet of snow on the ground up there, down here it's been in the 70's the last two days. They're bracing for a shock.

Our daffodils have been to die for this year; the azaleas should be in full bloom in a few days. I love spring.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Irish Marine

Post by Irish Marine »

It is grand! We just cleaned the carpets, planted some flowers, and cleaned out the beds. Changed the storm door to a screen door:)
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

We had spring already. Three days about a month ago. Nice, though.
Cotelette d'Agneau
SteveShaw
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

April showers, chilly breeze off the Atlantic that the sun with all its April power can't make an impression on, sand martins desperately diving around for early insects, chiffchaffs incessantly calling out their own names, damson blossom frosted for yet another year. Bugger.
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

SteveShaw wrote: damson blossom frosted for yet another year. Bugger.
Translation, please?
Cotelette d'Agneau
SteveShaw
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

Lambchop wrote:
Translation, please?
Er, damson: tree, close relative of plums, great for jam-making - blossoms early in spring so caught by frost - same as last year - and the year before that - and the year before that...therefore, resigned expletive, aka "bugger," reflecting fact that there will once again be no damsons this year.
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

SteveShaw wrote:
Lambchop wrote:
Translation, please?
Er, damson: tree, close relative of plums, great for jam-making - blossoms early in spring so caught by frost - same as last year - and the year before that - and the year before that...therefore, resigned expletive, aka "bugger," reflecting fact that there will once again be no damsons this year.
Oh, that is unfortunate. You have my condolences.
Cotelette d'Agneau
cowtime
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by cowtime »

We've had great ( 80s) weather the last two days. I think all the plants are trying to make up for last year's late hard freeze followed by drought. Everything from apple and pear trees to daffodils and tulips are blooming more than I ever remember. Unfortunately, we have a forecast calling for temps down into the 20s and possible snow. I sure hope not. The trillium are starting to bloom in the woods on my way to work.

My piano tuner had to cancel our appointment so I spent my next to last Saturday off work-fixing fence, moving some large rock with a hand truck to start on my someday patio, washing/picking concrete off my Jeep and made it to our union meeting tonight. Whew, I need a glass of wine.
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
WyoBadger
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: "Tell us something" hits me a bit like someone asking me to tell a joke. I can always think of a hundred of them until someone asks me for one. You know how it is. Right now, I can't think of "something" to tell you. But I have to use at least 100 characters to inform you of that.

Post by WyoBadger »

That's a shame, Steve. We can't grow anything as refined as damsons around here, but we've had the same thing happen to our apples several years in a row. We're about to give up on them and concentrate on native fruit--wild plums, sand cherries, currants don't seem to bothered by late frost.

We're still getting frost every morning (will be for another month, at the very least), and I hope we get at least one more good snow storm before it's all over (we need the moisture). But it's coming, and the birds know it. That's quite good enough for now.

Tom
Fall down six times. Stand up seven.
Sandy McLeod

Post by Sandy McLeod »

It is 96 (F) inland and in the 80s here on the water at 2000. Offshore winds have died although the bonsai are still doing well. The ocean is calm. Supposedly the temp will drop to the 70s early next week. Here on a channel in a man made harbor you have to choose your plants or keep replanting over and over and over again. We have a number of small palms.

Sandy
Leap into the boundless and make it your home.
Zhuang-zi
fel bautista
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fel bautista »

HARUMP-its 85F and the lawn needs watering. It was warm at 8 o'clock am when I left for my Saturday bike ride.
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

It's right at the freezing mark here. :(
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
hyldemoer

Post by hyldemoer »

My first daffodils of the year blossomed two days ago.

The fact that it was raining most of the day with occasional hail normally wouldn't stop me from running out and taking pictures,
but all the litterbug trash on my front lawn that I'd have to pick up in the rain to make the photo pretty did.

The next day the sun came up, dried up the trash and it blew into my neighbors' yards before I could get to it. I picked it up anyway and took my daffodil pictures.

An hour later, in spite of my cleaning up trash in both my neighbors' lawns, there was more trash in my yard.
<sigh>
izzarina
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by izzarina »

SIGH!!! We're getting flurries here today :sniffle: We're BELOW freezing right now, but supposed to be getting up into the high 40's later.

On a more positive note, despite the nastiness right now, there are Robins in abundance, and I've heard the spring "Peepers" every evening for the past week or so :party:
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.