Whistle for non-celtic punk and rock?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Carla Ruth
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Whistle for non-celtic punk and rock?

Post by Carla Ruth »

Hi all. I'm new to music and whistling, so forgive me if I ask any really obvious questions. I did a forum search on this but still have a few queries that I'd love some input on.

While I'm trying to learn traditional tunes and ornaments (and enjoying the learning curve), I also think it would be incredibly fun to be able to jump in with a whistle with friends who play guitar and drums and who cover Muse, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Green Day, and so on. A couple of questions on that score:

Is it possible, in terms of keys and accidentals and whatnot? What key is most rock music in anyway? (I did say I was new to music.) I have a few high D's, a C, a Bb and an Eb (ouch). Entirely open to the idea of having to acquire some more.

Is it even a good idea? Can you imagine this adding to the music or would it just sound silly?

Are there any specific breathing and fingering techniques whistlers in punk rock bands use to give an... edge to the music? I mean bad-ass, dirty, "beaten out of the speakers with an old frying pan" whistling.

Originally I had planned just to stick with learning the tradition. And it would have made me happy enough. But being completely isolated from anyone else who would appreciate ITM, I think I'm more likely to persevere if whistling is something I can do with other people, in other genres.

Appreciate your thoughts.
8solo5
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by 8solo5 »

listen this..is the space of my band!!! ;)

www.myspace.com/aioresis

and tellme what do you think about ;)
john_t

Post by john_t »

I recommend a Clare. I think they only come in D but I'm not entirely sure. They are cheapies, very, very raspy sound, easy to blow, I remember reading on here they are good for playing the blues?, and you can buy off ebay or bigwhistle.co.uk.

Good that you've got a good variety of keys to play in, just ask your friends what key the song is in and improvise!
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

Have a look for Kwela, Carla Ruth. It uses penny Whistle and it is in your neck of the woods!
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
Deathtrap

Post by Deathtrap »

8solo5 wrote:listen this..is the space of my band!!! ;)

www.myspace.com/aioresis

WOW thats very stylish!
although I dont understand one word in the page nor the lyrics :D

Will there be any CD?
Bothrops

Post by Bothrops »

The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Get some Susatos. They are plenty loud. You'll have to have several keys though. There is no one key, but a fair amount of rock songs have been in D or E. If you want to spend more money, get a Reyburn. Very loud and out there sound-wise.
Carla Ruth

Post by Carla Ruth »

Wow! *Bouncing up and down* Thanks everyone for the responses!

8solo5... Your band is fantastic. I love your style! I've downloaded the songs on your myspace and will probably order one of your cds from your website. If I may ask, how long have you been playing, and how did you learn - did you have a teacher?

John_t and The Weekenders, thanks very much for the recommendations. I will go find some soundclips of all of those before I decide, but it definitely looks like money will be spent in the near future... (what student loan?)

Innocent Bystander, I confess with shame that kwela irritates the hell out of me. There. I said it. But thanks for the suggestion :)

Bothrops, that's exactly what I'm talking about! I doubt I will ever be that good, but it's inspiration and I'm excited to try and see what I can do!

Whee!
Roderick [Rod] Sprague IV

Post by Roderick [Rod] Sprague IV »

Innocent Bystander wrote:Have a look for Kwela, Carla Ruth. It uses penny Whistle and it is in your neck of the woods!
Kwela also uses the trick of playing with the instrument far enough up into the mouth so the upper lip interacts with the airway, blade and window to bend the notes and change the tone, which might be a useful technique in your context.
8solo5

Post by 8solo5 »

Deathtrap wrote:
8solo5 wrote:listen this..is the space of my band!!! ;)

www.myspace.com/aioresis

WOW thats very stylish!
although I dont understand one word in the page nor the lyrics :D

Will there be any CD?
thank you very much :)

@Carla

Thank you, I don't have teacher :( I'm improvvisate whistle player :)
I have bought my first whistle (a Swayne C) about 1 year ago, after 2 month I have bough my Susato high D .
In that songs I only use this two whistles :)
Flogging Jason

Post by Flogging Jason »

As a tattooed freak of nature and a professional whistle player I'm not prone to tradition. I've played along with all sorts of different musicians and it's alot of fun. I've even got a few cover songs down on the whistle like The Eagles, Green Day, White Stripes, PLain White T's etc...
The only problem I have with rock music and whistling is that the melodies aren't always pleasing on the whistle...but it's great to improvise around the chords and bassline.

I've found that most rock music is in D or C and their associated keys(search the post about the "circle of fifths")

As far as that "edgy" sound is concerned...I find that it comes with experience. Getting in tune with the abilities of your whistles to adapt the right one to the situation.
Carla Ruth

Post by Carla Ruth »

Rod, thanks for the suggestion. I hadn't thought of that. Let's see... *dislodges whistle from tonsils* So that'll take some practice then...

Hey, 8solo5. The fact that you taught yourself gives me hope :) I'm loving those songs more and more. Thanks for the information about your whistles, I am also looking at getting a susato.

Jason, I couldn't agree more with this:
Flogging Jason wrote:The only problem I have with rock music and whistling is that the melodies aren't always pleasing on the whistle...but it's great to improvise around the chords and bassline.
Thanks very much for your input. I'm off to find that post now.