Whistle discrimination?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Thomaston
antispam: No

Whistle discrimination?

Post by Thomaston »

Ok, this is something I've been pondering for a couple of months now.
Do any of you that exclusively play whistle ever get the feeling that people may not take you as seriously as they would if you played flute? The vast majority of whistles are cheaper than flutes, and the technique required is easier, because of the lack of needed a developed embouchure.
I've gotten the vibe in the past from some people (not so much here as in other places), that the whistle should be more of a "get your foot in the door" instrument for ITM.
I obviously don't think so, so please don't flame me, or think I'm trying to imply anything about whistlers OR flute players. It just aggravates me a bit, and I wonder if others have experienced it, too.
The back story on this is that a couple of months ago I played in a local Irish music competition. I placed first in the adult whistle category, which isn't saying much since I was the only competitor. There were a couple of teenagers who competed in whistle, but they both competed in flute, also. The only people there that exclusively played whistle were elementary aged kids. And I got the impression from some of the people that prepared the competition that I, as an adult whistle player, was just an afterthought that shouldn't be taken seriously. The whole experience kinda bummed me out. It was apparent from a few people that they that I, as a man almost in his 30's, should quit dabbling with a whistle and get serious on a "proper" instrument
Anyway... like I said, I hesitated even asking this, because it feels like I'm opening a can of worms. Just wondering if I'm the only one that's ever felt whistle discrimination.
Also, I wonder if this is something that might be more common in Ireland, since so many students are taught the whistle at a young age.
taity
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by taity »

folk at my work think its a toy .the whistle in the right hands is a fantastic instrument you only have to listen to it and it captures you well me anyways. :)
http://sargclub.co.uk/

Wha's Like Us?

Damn Few And They're A' Died!
Ronbo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Ronbo »

It only happens at Auburn. You can minimize the effect by not wearing a Bama T-shirt. :D
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

From some people, I get the impression that because these aren't standard marching band instruments that people don't know what to make of them. It's the same whether I play the harmonica, whistle, or celtic flute. I just got a hold of a yamaha fife (off-white plastic) and an ancient concertina and that doesn't help matters much. I think this says a whole lot more about those people than it will ever say about you.

I must say, being the only adult whistler is brilliant. I used to swim laps next to this guy who always entered the senior citizens' olympics in the butterfly event. He always got the local gold medal and the silver medal at the state competition. He knew his only chance at the state level gold was for this certain little old lady to pass over.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Aanvil

Post by Aanvil »

Son, those folks just don't know no better. You play your whistle and tell them they can just kiss your A while you are doing it.

Learn to play that sucker well and no one will doubt you.

I'm not a big fan of music competitions btw.

What do I know though... I'm a flute player too.

;) :D
Aanvil

-------------------------------------------------

I am not an expert
Guinness

Post by Guinness »

Well let's be honest, flute is more difficult. And it's only a fiddle, not a violin. And the music we play is folk music. Nobody wears a penguin suit or brings opera glasses to a session.

The fact is this world will always have its prejudices, discriminations, castes, stratifications, segregations, injustices, ignorances, and so on. Get used to it.
d#key

Post by d#key »

Guinness, that is really rude.
d#key

Post by d#key »

And by the way, no one needs to "get used to it", because instrument discrimination is not acceptable. The whistle is a respectable instrument, just like the flute and fiddle.
d#key

Post by d#key »

And by the way, no one needs to "get used to it", because instrument discrimination is not acceptable. The whistle is a respectable instrument, just like the flute and fiddle.
Guinness

Post by Guinness »

d#key wrote:And by the way, no one needs to "get used to it", because instrument discrimination is not acceptable. The whistle is a respectable instrument, just like the flute and fiddle.
If the truth is rude, then what I said is rude. Some might also consider self-importance and conceit to be also rude. You're entirely welcome to educate and change the mindset of the general population.

FWIW, I play whistle, flute, fiddle and folk music exclusively and I'm perfectly comfortable with that whether people think that's delightful or disgusting. How about you? The basic issue here is insecurity.
space cadet

Post by space cadet »

I totally agree with you. I was a bassoon major in college several years ago. I chanced to meet with a former classmate. I mentioned to her that I am still actively involved in music and play mountain dulcimer and Irish whistle. Her eyebrows almost disappeared into her hairline and she told me she didn't consider either of those "real instruments". She also mentioned that I had gone from playing bassoon to "a silly children's toy". I replied that the guy who plays the beautiful opening solo to Riverdance looks pretty real to me. I think it is sad when people are so narrow in their musical taste that they totally ignore a whole genre of beautiful, ancient, and meaningful music and dismiss it as though it was beneath them.
Linda
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

I think it is best to play for your own enjoyment and not to care too much about what others think.

Fortunately in this part of the world the whistle is just one of many kinds of flute and they are all taken as serious instruments.
Thomaston

Post by Thomaston »

Guinness wrote:
d#key wrote:And by the way, no one needs to "get used to it", because instrument discrimination is not acceptable. The whistle is a respectable instrument, just like the flute and fiddle.
If the truth is rude, then what I said is rude. Some might also consider self-importance and conceit to be also rude. You're entirely welcome to educate and change the mindset of the general population.

FWIW, I play whistle, flute, fiddle and folk music exclusively and I'm perfectly comfortable with that whether people think that's delightful or disgusting. How about you? The basic issue here is insecurity.
I'm not sure if you're referring to me or d#key when you say self-importance, conceit, and insecurity. I'd like to think I'm none of those things. Like you, I've played many different instruments over the years with varying degrees of competence. I've never held any illusions I was good enough on any of those to feel self-importance or conceited.
As for insecurity, maybe a little. But it's something that's more of a general personality issue, rather than just with music.
d#key

Post by d#key »

All I meant was that ALL instruments are hard to play well, and there is no reason to compare difficulty between flute and whistle. Yes, it is true that there will always be prejudices, but there is no reason to fuel those prejudices if you are knowledgeable.
d#key

Post by d#key »

Guiness, how is what I said any more conceited than what you posted to begin with?