Hats Off to Mike Burke: My New Viper; a quick look.

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Thomaston
antispam: No

Post by Thomaston »

Can anyone tell me how the finger spacing compares to a Howard? I'm thinking of upgrading, but I can barely handle the Howard; if the Burke is worse I may have to settle for the EZ model.
pancelticpiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

About the Burke EZ, my understanding is that the only difference is in the sixth hole (from which E sounds).
I've played at least a dozen makes of low D within the last year, and the spacing doesn't really vary all that much, nor can it.
But it's the slightly wider spacing on the Burke's UPPER hand that took some getting used to.
The low E is nearly always the weakest note on a low D, and it's the hole which requires the furthest reach.
For the low E to be as powerful as bottom D and F#, it would have to be a hole the same size as the F# hole placed exactly halfway between that hole and the open end, where darn few people could reach it.
So it's always going to be a compromise.
The Burke's sixth hole/E hole is not any harder to reach than those of most low D's, and the low E is strong enough.

About other low D's, I've recently been spending quite a bit of time playing an old Chieftain Gold (purchased from our Medit8b1). It's a special whistle, a very interesting sound. A bit "foggy" for me. The scale is wonderfully smooth with a velvety 2nd register. Not as much power as the Burke. I'm tempted to keep it. It's the first low D besides the Burke that I've been tempted to keep.
koktach
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by koktach »

Maybe slightly off topic. But I love the sample of the Aluminum Pro Viper on the Burke site, could you tell me what tunes are being played?
CranberryDog

Post by CranberryDog »

koktach wrote:Maybe slightly off topic. But I love the sample of the Aluminum Pro Viper on the Burke site, could you tell me what tunes are being played?
Hello,

This is on Burke's site: "Low D Aluminum Viper played by Brian McCoy of the Kells- Guitar by Kim Rattan of the Kells- Live performance
CD is available on our website". http://www.burkewhistles.com/product.ph ... t=0&page=1

Best, Cyril
Michael Burke

Post by Michael Burke »

Hi,
I get this question often, so I thought I would just post the answer and some other information on the track that might be instructive
The player on my website sample is Brian McCoy of the Kells and that recording was done at an outdoor concert. Some have wondered if the track was post processed, but when I asked Brian about it, he said that it was not and that it only had a little reverb in it, but I have heard it played at my stand at the Dublin Irish Fest and it sounds essentially just the same to me when Brian plays it. Brian's performance is amazing and really shows off the capabilities of the instrument.
The two tunes are an air- Amhran na Leabhair and the reel is the Fermoy Lasses.
Brian later recorded an almost identical version of this same set of tunes on the Kells new CD "Don't Burn The Water" which contains another fine low D track as well as tracks on 7 other whistle tracks on other low whistle keys as well as the key of B. I recommend both the Kells Cds and keep them in stock for my customers.
All the best
Mike
koktach

Post by koktach »

thanks, beautiful playing, might just go and buy the cd
Steamwalker

Post by Steamwalker »

You convinced me, now I just bought my first low whistle!
Steamwalker

Post by Steamwalker »

Just received mine today and I am loving it! My first low whistle so it took about a good hour and get my piper's grip up and running but now I think I have the hang of it. I love the sound! No review to post since I have no point of comparison but it is simply gorgeous.
Steamwalker

Post by Steamwalker »

Michael Burke wrote:Hi,
I get this question often, so I thought I would just post the answer and some other information on the track that might be instructive
The player on my website sample is Brian McCoy of the Kells and that recording was done at an outdoor concert. Some have wondered if the track was post processed, but when I asked Brian about it, he said that it was not and that it only had a little reverb in it, but I have heard it played at my stand at the Dublin Irish Fest and it sounds essentially just the same to me when Brian plays it. Brian's performance is amazing and really shows off the capabilities of the instrument.
The two tunes are an air- Amhran na Leabhair and the reel is the Fermoy Lasses.
Brian later recorded an almost identical version of this same set of tunes on the Kells new CD "Don't Burn The Water" which contains another fine low D track as well as tracks on 7 other whistle tracks on other low whistle keys as well as the key of B. I recommend both the Kells Cds and keep them in stock for my customers.
All the best
Mike
Interesting side note as I don't think it has been mentioned before. There is a tune on the Kells' "Don't Burn the Water" called, "Planxty Michael Burke" written by Brian McCoy. Brian is simply an amazing player. I recently bought the CD and it is one of my favorite tracks.
Anita's Dad

Post by Anita's Dad »

Mike,

Will you be at the Dublin (Ohio) fest this year?

We think a lot of Matt and Shannon Heaton,

and she really loves your whistles...

So we're thinking about getting Anita a low F.

One interesting dynamic of the present collapse of American currency is that players from the rest of the world should JUMP on the chance to order from American whistle makers. Top shelf whistles for a FRACTION of the cost that we Americans are paying right now for products made outside the USA.
Michael Burke

Post by Michael Burke »

Hi,
Nice photo of Matt and Shannon, two of my most favorite people. I got to spend the weekend with Brian McCoy and Kim Rattan since they came to Southern Illinois to play at Southeastern Illinois Junior College and also played Sunday morning at my church. It was heavenly!!! :) .

I will be at Dublin Fest this year and every year until I can't remember how to get there. It is a wonderful festival that has a safe family atmosphere and the very same entertainment you will see at Milwaukee.

By the way, back on Shannon Heaton and low Fs I had to send out a low F for an Irish player that Shannon and Matt are playing with at Branson Missouri This week. Anyone around Springfield or even Kansas City can go down ans hear them, so don't miss them if you can make it.

All the best
Mike
PS: Glad that new Viper gave satisfaction. I will let it out to brass whistle lovers that I have a brass version of the Viper now too..MB
Steamwalker

Post by Steamwalker »

Michael Burke wrote:I will let it out to brass whistle lovers that I have a brass version of the Viper now too..MB
Yum!
Indie

Post by Indie »

I'd just like to chime in on The Kells. Both of their CDs are EXCELLENT. Nice variety & arrangement of tunes. I'd love to see them live.

Indie
"In the end we shall have had enough of cynicism, skepticism, and humbug, and we shall want to live more musically."--Vincent Van Gogh
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

Wow!! A brass Viper? Michael, how does it sound compared to the aluminum Viper?
(I would guess, without playing it, that it would have a tiny bit less "edge" or "bite" and sound a tiny bit darker/smoother.)
Thanks!
WyoBadger
Tell us something.: "Tell us something" hits me a bit like someone asking me to tell a joke. I can always think of a hundred of them until someone asks me for one. You know how it is. Right now, I can't think of "something" to tell you. But I have to use at least 100 characters to inform you of that.

Post by WyoBadger »

Michael Burke wrote:I will let it out to brass whistle lovers that I have a brass version of the Viper now too..MB
Ooooooooh.....

I told my wife that if I could have one of these, I would never buy another instrument the whole rest of her life. Her reaction looked a lot like these two combined: :lol: :really:

Guess I'll make due with my Dixon one piece til the ship comes in...
Fall down six times. Stand up seven.