Frankensets

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
BigDavy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Frankensets

Post by BigDavy »

buskerSean was commenting that the Dave Williams set currently on ebay was a frankenset, it got me thinking how many of the forum members actually have a frankenset.

I have one in D - chanter and drones by Kenny McNichol, regs by Brian Howard, bag by Uilliam and bellows by CJ Dixon.

Anyone else with a patchwork set?

David
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
eskin

Post by eskin »

Sure, my bag, drones and regs are Kirk Lynch, my reg reeds are David Quinn bronze, my primary chanter is Benedict Koehler reeded with a David Coultrup reed, my bellows are Seth Gallagher.
Ceann Cromtha
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I’m changing my location to my actual address. My previous location was a reference to Joyce’s Finnegans Wake.

Post by Ceann Cromtha »

In addition to my full set by B.C. Childress, I have a half set composed of a Mark Hillmann (boxwood) chanter and bellows + Nick Whitmer (blackwood) drones (to which I plan to add a Childress baritione regulator in a few months).
mayo_piper

1/2 set

Post by mayo_piper »

I have a Michael Vignoles (Galway) 1/2 set with a Pat Sky chanter with wood top...Pat's chanter is lovely and easily reaches the high upper hand and the C nat is a breeze (pun intended ) :D
"A man's only as old as the woman he feels..."

~Groucho Marx
The Sporting Pitchfork
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by The Sporting Pitchfork »

Cillian O Briain bag, bellows, stock & drones, Michael Hubbert tenor and baritone regulators, and Gordon Galloway chanter (w/ a reed by Brad Angus).
tansy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by tansy »

I have half sets in C and D which I built, one set of bellows and chanters by Nick Whitmer, reeds by me and the originals that came with the chanters :) seven reeds for each chanter, one of the few drawbacks of learning to roll your own, reed poor :)
shy the blond water
Juanmatorix

Post by Juanmatorix »

On May I will complete my Frankenset. Chanter on D and Bellows by Arhpa, wood chanter top and drones by Marcelo Muttis, Regulators By Hakam Din (which are reformed by Antonio Obrero and Candido). Reeds by Cesar Pastor, Antonio Obrero and Marcelo Muttis and Bag by L&M... definitely an authentic Frankenset :D

Juanma
chanterdan

Its Alive!!

Post by chanterdan »

D Chanters,Gordon galloway,Nick whitmer,Eugene lambe, Drones Alan Ginsburgh and Lambe .Ezee ,and,childress drone reeds.Regs tenor,baritone by Whitmer.Bellows Dixon.Chanter,and Reg Reeds by me.Would trade em all for .Image Hevia! Just Kidding
amckay

Post by amckay »

Adrian Jeffries full set, Ian Mackenzie bag, bellows, bag valve, Mackenzie reeds for regs and chanter, my own drone reeds. Not quite the frankenset as some others....
djimbo

Post by djimbo »

D set with Williams drones, Howard chanter, reed by Alan Burton, bag by L&M
bag cover 'knitted' by 'her-indoors' bellows by god only knows (they were passed on to me by someone who'd upgraded.)
Fools rush in and get all the best seats.
vanfleet
Tell us something.: I play a full set of Seth Gallagher uilleann pipes, have been taking lessons, listening, and practicing since 1983. Teachers have included Bill Ochs, and David Power.

frankensets

Post by vanfleet »

After reading all these comments so far, I'd like to opine that the bag and bellows really do not need to be considered when talking about an "original set" of uilleann pipes. They are the most perishable and most likely to wear out (after the reeds), and on even the best set, not likely to last its entire lifetime.

Choice of wood for stocks and metal for ferules can make them look more or less like part of an original set of pipes, but really, they are mostly out of sight or ignored.

Its like the joke about the antique axe that has been passed down in my family for 200 years; the handle has been replaced six times, and the axe head twice . . .
benwalker

Post by benwalker »

Alan Fromment Drones and Regs (including double bass reg)
Cillian O'Briain Chanter.
Works for me
Sippin water of a spoon

www.benwalker.org
Cathy Wilde

Re: frankensets

Post by Cathy Wilde »

vanfleet wrote:After reading all these comments so far, I'd like to opine that the bag and bellows really do not need to be considered when talking about an "original set" of uilleann pipes. They are the most perishable and most likely to wear out (after the reeds), and on even the best set, not likely to last its entire lifetime.

Choice of wood for stocks and metal for ferules can make them look more or less like part of an original set of pipes, but really, they are mostly out of sight or ignored.

Its like the joke about the antique axe that has been passed down in my family for 200 years; the handle has been replaced six times, and the axe head twice . . .
Oh, all right. But then all I can say about my practice set is "mystery chanter."

"'Mystery chanter' with Dixon bag and bellows" sounds so much more ... well, Frankenlike.
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
tommykleen
Tell us something.: I am interested in the uilleann pipes and their typical -and broader- use. I have been composing and arranging for the instrument lately. I enjoy unusual harmonic combinations on the pipes. I use the pipes to play music of other cultures.

Re: frankensets

Post by tommykleen »

Cathy Wilde wrote:
Oh, all right. But then all I can say about my practice set is "mystery chanter."

"'Mystery chanter' with Dixon bag and bellows" sounds so much more ... well, Frankenlike.
Ooo! I like a mystery. Please post a photo.

BTW, I don't think Al Franken cares about the pipes. I have played at two functions where he was in attendance and he didn't so much as glance at what I was doing. And there was only three of us in the room! :oops:

Too busy schmoozing I guess. But if he wants the powerful uilleann piper vote, he's gonna have to schmooze the piper. :wink:

t
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

OK, Inspector Kleen! I hastily shot a few mugs and threw them up at the link below. Don't know if you can tell anything about it from these, but I figured if I didn't do something now Lord knows when I'd get around to it ...

http://web.mac.com/catherinewilde/iWeb/ ... hotos.html

P.S. I'm a much better photographer than piper, and as you can see, my photos are nothing to write home about. Sorry! :oops:

Happy sleuthing, and sorry about Mr. Franken's lack of enthusiasm. He was probably resting from his energetic reactions to just about everything else.
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.