May I pick your brains?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Wombat
antispam: No

May I pick your brains?

Post by Wombat »

I'm not a cannibal requesting volunteers. (We have a full supply of missionaries in the fridge, thanks.)

Actually, I'm writing a journal article. I need a metaphor. I need to draw an analogy with a devise which both filters and enhances—something that removes unwanted gunk from its input while adding something else before the output stage. Something simple and familar would be ideal but if you only have high-tech examples they will do fine.

I'm sure I'm probably overlooking something blindingly obvious in my garage or kitchen, but I'm a bit of a technological ignoramus. I'll be very grateful for any suggestions.
scottielvr
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by scottielvr »

The only one I can think of is dreadfully pedestrian: a municipal water treatment system that filters water to take out nasty sediment and then adds fluoride (and/or chlorine).

Oboy, as a metaphor, that's about as poetic as tooth decay. Booooring...Don't worry; better ones will be along soon.
kkrell
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Kidneys?

From http://kidney.niddk.nih.gov/kudiseases/ ... urkidneys/

"Every day, your kidneys process about 200 quarts of blood to sift out about 2 quarts of waste products and extra water. The waste and extra water become urine."

"The actual filtering occurs in tiny units inside your kidneys called nephrons. Every kidney has about a million nephrons. In the nephron, a glomerulus—which is a tiny blood vessel, or capillary—intertwines with a tiny urine-collecting tube called a tubule. A complicated chemical exchange takes place, as waste materials and water leave your blood and enter your urinary system."

"At first, the tubules receive a combination of waste materials and chemicals that your body can still use. Your kidneys measure out chemicals like sodium, phosphorus, and potassium and release them back to the blood to return to the body. In this way, your kidneys regulate the body’s level of these substances."
mukade

Post by mukade »

A simple household water filter?

Our tap water filter has two stages.
The first filters the water to remove impurities.
The second creates separate streams using an ionizing chamber to alkalise and acidify the water.

The alkaline water is for drinking and the acidic water is supposed to be good for the skin and cleaning.

Mukade
Last edited by mukade on Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

Coffee maker? Sorry, that is all I can think of at this time of the day.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
emmline

Post by emmline »

airport security gate on free lollipop day.

Fish tank filter/aerator.
dwest

Post by dwest »

Last edited by dwest on Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

A washing machine with a built in fabric softener delivery system.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

A power supply.

They both filter incoming electricity to reduce interference, voltage spikes, and voltage drops, and modulate the form of the electricity into a form that the equipment needs. This usually involves reducing the voltage, and may also involve changing the frequency of AC, or changing AC to DC, or a combination of both.

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

An ionizing air filter. You can turn on or off the ionizing feature on mine so it *must* be doing *something*, right?
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

avanutria wrote:An ionizing air filter. You can turn on or off the ionizing feature on mine so it *must* be doing *something*, right?
As a matter of fact, it indeed does. When you turn the ionizing feature on you get a nice little green light.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

Almost sounds like you're writing about op-amps, Wombat...
Denny

Post by Denny »

'at's a good 'un fearfaoin!
djm

Post by djm »

I think you want a noun (device) rather than a verb (devise). A cation/anion resin water filter would do exactly what you request.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

The mind.

It filters everything - most of it out - and the result is enhanced with habitual pet interpretations.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician