Movies you EXPECTED to like....

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
fyffer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Movies you EXPECTED to like....

Post by fyffer »

... but didn't.

Something about Mary

This movie came recommended by my wife's lifelong best friend. We rented it (years ago), and watched it, mouth agape -- and literally turned it off 10 minutes before it ended. Just as Brett Favre showed up.

The Farrely brothers are local boys, but their movies are pure tripe, IMNSHO.
YMMV.
___\|/______________________________
|___O____|_O_O_o_|_o_O__O__|_O__O__|
Steamwalker
antispam: No

Post by Steamwalker »

I was really looking forward to The Mist since it was written/directed by one of my favorites, Frank Darabont but I was disappointed. I don't think I've ever been as annoyed by things/characters from a movie before.

I loved There's Something About Mary.
djm

Post by djm »

I remember Little Miss Sunshine being highly recommended by this forum. It was ... not to my tastes at all. I should have known better when I saw Alan Arkin was in it.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
dwest

Post by dwest »

Last edited by dwest on Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
mamakash

Post by mamakash »

When" Titanic" was in theaters, I refused to give into the hype. I waited until it came out on video. I was sure I'd find something redeemable about it. I didn't. The most god awful thing I'd ever seen. I still gawk at it when it pops up on cable TV. It's like staring at a 20 car pile up.

Plan 9 From Outer Space had better dialog.
I sing the birdie tune
It makes the birdies swoon
It sends them to the moon
Just like a big balloon
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

mamakash wrote:When" Titanic" was in theaters, I refused to give into the hype.

Well now..

I have certain issues there...

How can ye not cry when yer man, not so much drowns, as freezes...

A cold and lonely death..and having read some of your stuff..I would expect some bit of sympathy for those who are waving..

Slan,
D. :wink:
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

mamakash wrote:When" Titanic" was in theaters, I refused to give into the hype. I waited until it came out on video.
I agree...I'm glad I didn't fork out the money to go to the theaters either. It really was one of the worst films ever made, especially since it got the Oscar for best picture. But I'll admit....I still cry whenever I see the end ;)
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
CHasR
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by CHasR »

the remake of 'The Avengers' with Sean Connery.
LOVED the TV show,
HATED the movie. One of the worst of all time, :really:

even the catsuit wsa completely dissapointing, and I could just see Connery saying "I'll only do it if I get to wear a kilt in at least one scene" :boggle:
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

Star Wars, Episode I. Major disappointment.
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

Peter Greenaway, The Tempest.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

OK, first of all- I've had enough cabernet sauvinion to admit to liking "The Titanic" but will say that I'd have liked it more if they hadn't had baby faced Leonardo as the lead-it would have been better with Sam Elliot, but then most films would be better with him...Heck, I liked the old version too.

But, back to the topic...

What immediately came to mind was -

The French Connection

We drove an hour to the theatre to see the thing, back in the old days, and I ended up sleeping through most of it I was so bored. I did wake up to see the famous chase scene.

:P
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
chrisoff

Post by chrisoff »

Napoleon Dynamite. Very over-rated.

Golden Compass. A series of things happening with no actual explanation for any of it. Nice polar bears though.
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

Movies I wanted to like, but didn't:
Star Wars episodes 1&2: just awful. They finally got some things right in episode 3.
Master and Commander: I'm a huge fan of Patrick O Brian's fantastic 20-novel "Aubery/Maturin" series. Read it twice, all 20. So I was dumbstruck at how awful the movie was. Rather than adopt the plot of ANY of the 20 books, they just grabbed random events from all over the series without regard to time period or context, and threw them into a plotless mess. Ever seen those big clear plexiglass tubes in Las Vegas where somebody stands inside, the floor piled with money? Then they turn on a big fan, and all the money blows around, and the person inside has a certain time period to grab as much as they can, stuffing money in their clothes? Master and Commander seems like they ripped every page out of all 20 books, put them in the plexiglass tube, and turned on a fan so that a "scriptwriter" could grab as many pages as possible in, say, one minute. Then the scriptwriter jumped out saying "here's our script!"
Narnia: I read the whole series to my kids, but the movie was a major diappointment.
About Titanic, I had the dubious advantage of having seen the horrid Lost In Space movie the day before. In comparison, Titanic was masterful at handling the moving back and forth through time. (Lost In Space's ridiculous ending jumped about in time to the point that I was utterly confused, and could care less. My wife said, "let them all die, so we can leave!")
dwest

Post by dwest »

Last edited by dwest on Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Gods and Generals. I'd expected another Gettysburg and was horribly disappointed. What's worse is they never mentioned Jackson's Valley campaign.

I would say Titantic but I already knew I wouldn't like it before I saw it.

The Red Violin. ZZZZZZZZZZZ

9 1/2 weeks. Or was it 3 1/2 weeks? That snoozer with Mickey Rourke. I thought I'd like it but I turned it off after about a half hour.

That one about the penguins. The live action movie, not the computerized animation. Even my granddaughter was bored with that.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm