Right Hand Pinky

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Dan Mozell
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Right Hand Pinky

Post by Dan Mozell »

I've read that Grey Larsen recommends keeping the right hand pinky on the whistle at all times. Is this the most common practice, or are there lots of different approaches amoung excellent players?

At this early stage in my whistle playing, it seems that the right hand pinky is useful for stabalizing the instrument when playing phrases which include a C# (on a D whistle). But it also seems to reduce the mobility of the right hand ring finger, introducing unecessary tension. So right now, my right hand pinky is on or off depending upon the phrase.

Thanks for your comments.

http://www.danmozell.com
jemtheflute
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by jemtheflute »

Dan, it sounds like you're doing just fine: sensible approach.

IMO using R(bottom) little finger to stabilise, especially on open C# is preferable to the common use of R3, but it doesn't need to be glued to the tube! As primarily a fluter who uses his Eb key fairly much as a classical player would (i.e. finger on/key pressed most of the time except for Ds), my R4 is on & off all the time anyway on flute, and when I play whistle it just carries on playing a phantom Eb key. I came to whistle that way and never had any problems (that I can recall 30+ years on) with balancing it/not dropping it/feeling insecure even on C#s or crossing the break, nor indeed with tension/independent movement with R3 as you mention. When you have 3+ fingers on you don't need it (other than as a location aid for the bottom hand, perhaps), so can do whatever gives you freedom and comfort; as you go into the L(top) hand part of the scale, use it, if not sooner.

The independent or opposed motion of R3 & 4 does/can develop and improve with practice, as one might expect. Modern fluters on Boehm flute are expected to work on it until they have it, as are pianists and various other instrumentalists. We don't need that level of effort on whistle (not actually playing anything, just auxilliary support), but it surely can be done if wanted. Choosing not to do it/adopting another approach is fine, but if you want to do it it's perfectly possible, not especially hard and very common in other contexts. The anatomy does impose some ultimate limits, but unless one has an injury or medical condition, does not prevent a good degree of fluency in such movement with practice.
Last edited by jemtheflute on Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Hi Dan ... Ditto Jem's thorough description. "On or off depending upon the phrase" sounds exactly right to me. This is another detail where Larsen's book is a bit too pedantic. Watch good whistlers like Crawford, Madden, Bergin et al. on YouTube or elsewhere, and their bottom pinkies are hopping up and down. If you have to think about it too much, you're probably doing something wrong. :-)
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
walrii

Post by walrii »

MTGuru wrote:If you have to think about it too much, you're probably doing something wrong. :-)
As I plug along in my musical journey, I find that statement applying to more and more situations.
The Walrus

What would a wild walrus whistle if a walrus could whistle wild?

The second mouse may get the cheese but the presentation leaves a lot to be desired.
Guinness

Post by Guinness »

I think for most folks, anchoring the RH pinky shouldn't introduce any tension except in the earlier stages of learning the instrument where finger independence has not been achieved. Furthermore, there's no need to lift any finger far above the tone hole. That said, I tend to de-anchor my pinky when playing notes involving the bottom three tone holes.

Grey's advice is probably aimed towards the flute player but it does have broader applicability. Anchoring the pinky likely promotes precision of RH finger placement. How many times have we heard on this board that some people have a hard time getting the bell note to play?
Guinness

Post by Guinness »

walrii wrote:
MTGuru wrote:If you have to think about it too much, you're probably doing something wrong. :-)
As I plug along in my musical journey, I find that statement applying to more and more situations.
Really? I frequently find the opposite. The less I think about a tune, the more bland it sounds.
Thomas-Hastay

Post by Thomas-Hastay »

Some find it comfortable to place the pinky "under" the whistle as support. This practice is a Tabor Pipe method. A loose fabric ring or elastic band can also be looped over the whistle body and the pinky can rest in this with a half twist as a "sling" above or below the tube.
"The difference between Genius and stupidity, is that Genius has its limits" (Albert Einstein)
thomashastay@yahoo.com
Bothrops

Post by Bothrops »

I keep my right pinky almost always on the whistle, because I find it more comfortable. Anyways, sometimes I lift it, for example, when doing an E roll.
I simply don't think about the pinky and I keep it when it feels good and comfortable, without any strain.
Up or down is the same, just do it the way it works for you!
burnsbyrne

Post by burnsbyrne »

I would love to be able to use my pinky to stabilize the whistle but it is simply too short. If I place my little finger tip on the whistle I am forced into a sort of piper's grip with my right hand. Also, with my pinky down my third finger becomes difficult to lift. They probably both share a tendon sheath. Anyway, telling everybody that they should keep that finger down without adding that for some people it's impossible is maybe not a good idea. BTW, my hands are big enough to pick up a basketball with one hand. It's just the pinky that's short.
Mike
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

I can't handle trying to concentrate on it to see, but I *think* I lift it sometimes and I know that I keep it there most times. How's that for straddling the fence? :D
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Guinness wrote:Really? I frequently find the opposite. The less I think about a tune, the more bland it sounds.
Sure, absolutely, at the expressive / aesthetic level. But there are definitely things you need to automatize at the technical level, to free your concentration. Like chewing gum and whistling at the same time. Oh, wait ... bad example. :P
anniemcu wrote:I can't handle trying to concentrate on it to see, but I *think* I lift it sometimes and I know that I keep it there most times. How's that for straddling the fence? :D
I once tried analyzing my pinkie movement for a rule-based description, and gave up. It's too phrase- and ornament-dependent to be interesting in those terms.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
sbfluter

Post by sbfluter »

For my low whistle I made a rubber band safety belt for my left thumb.
~ Diane
Flutes: Tipple D and E flutes and a Casey Burns Boxwood Rudall D flute
Whistles: Jerry Freeman Tweaked D Blackbird
BoneQuint

Post by BoneQuint »

Bothrops wrote:I keep my right pinky almost always on the whistle, because I find it more comfortable. Anyways, sometimes I lift it, for example, when doing an E roll.
I simply don't think about the pinky and I keep it when it feels good and comfortable, without any strain.
I don't know how pedantic Grey is in his book, but that's exactly what I've heard him say he does in person.
Bothrops

Post by Bothrops »

BoneQuint wrote:
Bothrops wrote:I keep my right pinky almost always on the whistle, because I find it more comfortable. Anyways, sometimes I lift it, for example, when doing an E roll.
I don't know how pedantic Grey is in his book, but that's exactly what I've heard him say he does in person.
Cool, I don't have his books, that's just what I think about the topic :)
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

burnsbyrne wrote:I would love to be able to use my pinky to stabilize the whistle but it is simply too short. If I place my little finger tip on the whistle I am forced into a sort of piper's grip with my right hand. Also, with my pinky down my third finger becomes difficult to lift. They probably both share a tendon sheath. Anyway, telling everybody that they should keep that finger down without adding that for some people it's impossible is maybe not a good idea. BTW, my hands are big enough to pick up a basketball with one hand. It's just the pinky that's short.
Mike
My Pinky fingers are short too. I do use the second pad of my right hand, rather than the tips, though, so I guess that's why I can reach to get my pinky on the whistle. i think i always have.
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com