I played for my dance club

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
devondancer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

I played for my dance club

Post by devondancer »

My first public whistle performance! It was only when I found C&F that I realised other people play whistle at all - how ignorant was that? Have been playing for years at home as a second instrument, but never for more than my own pleasure, and my husband's distress. Then I started playing with a fellow folk dancer (flautist), accompanying her on guitar, and gradually got brave enough to try the whistle with her. We played some dance music once a month or so, and I thought I'd write a second part to one of the tunes we liked best. That - amazingly - worked well, and last week we played it while our club danced. They really liked it - after a false start or two from me as my whistle was shaking too much - and asked for another one, so we played for a dance I had written myself. It was so lovely to do that, to play for people to make pictures to! That's what it seemed like. I've always thought of folk dance as "music made visible" and I felt it more than ever that day. It was even more important for me as I haven't been able to dance for a year because of injury, so I felt able to take part again. A great day. Incidentally, at home I tried doing the rather fiddly footwork to another dance while playing it at the same time: I am definitely NOT designed to do more than one thing at a time! What a disaster!
trill

dance

Post by trill »

Congratulations!

I know what you mean about shaking... I got invited to play whistle at a pub by a fiddler I met at a jam. When I got up to play, I could barely hold my whistle, let alone play the tune, because of the shaking! I think I played on autopilot!.

"music made visible": what a lovely phrase!

I hope you have many more such evenings!
(minus the shakes, of course!)

trill

ps.s: what type of dancing was it?
anniemcu
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

Most excellent! And I have had the dratted shaking whistle myself. :D Still do every now and again, but far less often.

I do understand the
folk dance as "music made visible"
thing - nice way to say it... may I use that?

Good for you!!
Last edited by anniemcu on Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mutepointe »

Yippee.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Plastiman

Playing in public

Post by Plastiman »

Go Dancer!!!
At my current age of 54, I've been playing guitar and singing both solo and in bands in pubs, folk clubs, weddings, birthday parties etc etc etc for the last 30 years, and I still get the collywobbles at times. The first time I played at a folk festival my knees were shaking so much I had to sit on a stool because I couldn't stand up!!!

It does get better, the trick is to know your material backwards,forwards, one handed and blindfolded, and to have at least 50 percent more material down pat than you're going to need for the time you're on stage.

Also remember that 99% of the people you're playing for can't do what you're doing.(Except at folk fests, where most of them can, folk fests are the scariest, but the audience is generally friendly and understand what you're going through).

Most of all, have fun,
Cheers,
Ian
devondancer

Post by devondancer »

anniemcu wrote:

I do understand the
folk dance as "music made visible"
thing - nice way to say it... may I use that?
Of course you may - I'm not sure I'm the first to say it!

Thanks, all: the encouragement here is just wonderful.
dehavik

Post by dehavik »

Good for you, Devondancer, for taking the leap. It is so much easier to put off that first public appearance with excuses and such. Now I'm curious...to all those who perform...once you begin the set, does it flow easily? My husband (on guitar) and I have been asked to do a little number this Saturday for our community Talent Night. It's very informal (our town has only 170 people in it (and ten times more cows!)) but I'm still nervous. I've only been playing about six weeks. I can play the two songs we're doing pretty well, but no ornamentation except a couple glissandos and a cut and tap here and there. I haven't performed in public since a piano recital when I was nine. I feel if I can get the first few notes out, I'll be okay. Any suggestions?
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

In a town of 170, I think folks will enjoy you for just being you. Enjoy the moment.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
dehavik

Post by dehavik »

Thanks, Mutepointe.

I've lived in big cities with big culture and big talent my whole life. I have to remind myself that things are quite a bit more relaxed in the country.
Plastiman

Performing

Post by Plastiman »

Hiya dehavik,
Mate, didn't realise you were a sheila, stone the crows. Don't worry about putting in all the ornamentation and stuff, play what you're comfortable with. I've found time and again that complex stuff I can play at home, just crashes and dies in public. For a singer/guitarist not a big problem, keep it simple and sing louder, different for a whistler.
Just remember that a simplified tune, played melodically and in time, sounds far far better than an attempted display of your hitherto hidden talents that crashes and drops you into the black hole of public humiliation.
I've been there, it's a very character forming place to be.
Get your stuff nailed right down, then get up there and enjoy yourselves, everyone else will too,
Cheers,
Ian
Carey
Location: In the dog house. Gone playing music too much recently.

Post by Carey »

dehavik wrote:...once you begin the set, does it flow easily? ... I feel if I can get the first few notes out, I'll be okay. Any suggestions?
Yes! Sorta. I joined a session when I had only two tunes, and it was as you say. Starting was the hard part. But getting out and doing it teaches you so much more. Or should I say starts to train your brain in different ways. Many people here have said that they flub tunes in public that they can play easily at home. Yep, me too. And I think that will happen no matter how long you play before your first gig. Learning to relax when playing out comes by playing out.

Everyone is different, but in my case keeping focus was important. I noticed that I would start off a little shakey, then get rolling. Things were fine until something caught my attention, like maybe someone entering the pub. I would glance over and my music would crash. When I began starting sets. I would chug along fine until I tried to raise my foot to signal a transition, and my music would crash. In my case I had to work on staying focused on the music.

Gradually I became more and more able to carry on with the tune while looking around or signaling or even thinking up the next tune - "Hmm, what to play next?" I think it's like rubbing your stomach while patting your head. You have to develop the ability to let one part of you play while the other part manages the other stuff. Once I realized that is what was going on I could cope better. For my first on-stage gig, I purposely just stared at the monitor while playing, because I knew if I scanned the crowd too much of my attention would go away from the music.

You will always have others who play better than you, and you will always be better than some. So enjoy where you are. Don't ornament just because you think you should. Make pretty music, and over time the ornaments will find you. Most important - keep the beat.
When there's a huge spill of solar energy, it's just called a nice day.

http://www.parkswhistles.com
Plastiman

Playing in public

Post by Plastiman »

Totally agree Carey,
Focus is the thing, after 30 years of playing guitar I can let the mind wander, when playing whistle, no way!!
All things come with time (and lotsa practise),
Cheers,
Ian
dehavik

Post by dehavik »

Plastiman, Carey, and all,

Devondancer's spot on when she lauds the encouragement here--thanks for the hints and support. When I first started playing in front of my husband and kids, I had to play with my eyes closed. If I could block out the distractions, I was fine. Just last week, practicing for our set tonight, I could open my eyes and watch the kids dance or watch my husband's fingering on the guitar and not mess up. Still, tonight, I'll probably play "blind"--forget how it looks to anyone. I'm going to focus on keeping up a good rythym and hitting all the notes and if I can do that, I'm in the clear. When I'm nervous, I forget to breathe. That's my big hurdle now. Glad to hear others' troubles shared. I might have some of my own stories tomorrow!
Plastiman

Playing in public

Post by Plastiman »

Mate, I still play with my eyes closed at least 50% of the time. Us blokes aren't good at doing several things at once, so having each hand operating independently from the other, while the brain is also remembering lyrics and singing is a bit of a strain on the ol' processing capacity.
There is no shame in playing eyes closed, in fact it adds to your aura as a performer. People think "Ooooh look, he/she's really getting into what they're doing."
Well maybe that was a little tongue in cheek, but what the heck, we're there to have fun, not prove a point,
Cheers,
Ian