Whistles fer sale.....

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Wandering_Whistler

Post by Wandering_Whistler »

Phil:
I'm wondering what the difference is between selling a sindt for $150 and <a href="http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php ... 1">selling an O'Riordan for $250</a>? I note totally different reactions here.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Wandering_Whistler on 2002-12-02 15:40 ]</font>
Azalin
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Azalin »

Wandering,

How much is a O' brand new? I'm just curious. In this situation, I'll agree that this person can sell his/her whistles whatever and it's okay with me. Actually, he/she could be selling the Sindt for 1000$US each as far as I'm concerned. As long as there's someone who's willing to pay that price, and that it's a one time transaction and not a recurring practice, I see anything wrong to it.
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

It is not me. But if I wanted to sell whistles for more than the price offered by the maker, I would put them on eBay and announce the auctions here.

That said, I find the outlandish negative reactions (to the Sindt whistles being offered for sale at a premium) incredibly ridiculous. I think a lot of people here need something to complain about.

J
ChrisLaughlin

Post by ChrisLaughlin »

This is all pretty funny here!
All those of us who were so upset about Lark in the Morning hoarding Sindts to sell at inflated prices couldn't care less about this guy selling his whistles for twice the market value.
Why? Because this guy is a whistle player and, unlike Lark in the Morning, he didn't buy a bunch of Sindts with the express purpose of reselling them at double their original cost. He just bought them, played them for who knows how long, and decided to sell them. I see the process and intent as quite different between the two situations.
Best,
Chris
Wandering_Whistler

On 2002-12-02 15:45, Azalin wrote:
Wandering,

How much is a O' brand new? I'm just curious. In this situation, I'll agree that this person can sell his/her whistles whatever and it's okay with me. Actually, he/she could be selling the Sindt for 1000$US each as far as I'm concerned. As long as there's someone who's willing to pay that price, and that it's a one time transaction and not a recurring practice, I see anything wrong to it.
Don't really know, Az. Dale's old review says $75.00. I know a couple folks on the list who've said that amount's out of date. Loren mentioned paying "twice the cost" for his or somesuch, and that appeared to be the thread where he bought his from Michael Eskin, so I assume that they probably cost in the neighborhood of $150.
Jeferson

Post by Jeferson »

On 2002-12-02 15:40, Wandering_Whistler wrote:
Phil:
I'm wondering what the difference is between selling a sindt for $150 and <a href="http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php ... 1">selling an O'Riordan for $250</a>? I note totally different reactions here.
<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Wandering_Whistler on 2002-12-02 15:40 ]</font>
Greg, although I don't care to comment on the Sindts for sale here, I think that O'Riordans selling at inflated prices are a product of the fact that Pat is likely to shut down production soon. Even if you were to get on his list today, there's a risk that you will never get the whistle. Thus, the premium on O'Riordans is about more than simply cutting down the wait: it's about actually getting one of his whistles. Apples and oranges, I think.

Jef
Wandering_Whistler

On 2002-12-02 18:19, Jeferson wrote:

Greg, although I don't care to comment on the Sindts for sale here, I think that O'Riordans selling at inflated prices are a product of the fact that Pat is likely to shut down production soon. Even if you were to get on his list today, there's a risk that you will never get the whistle. Thus, the premium on O'Riordans is about more than simply cutting down the wait: it's about actually getting one of his whistles. Apples and oranges, I think.
Jef
I disagree. The post I quoted about the O'Riordan's selling was made 15 months ago. Chances are that if someone had gotten on Pat's list then, they could expect a whistle in a few months.

Sure, it can be argued that O'Riordans are rarer than Sindts. They certainly are, and that affects the selling price (Loren sold an O'Riordan himself for $620+ a year later).

Sindts likewise are 'rare' in that you have to wait to get one. If someone has one they want to part with, but consider it worth an inflated price, I got no problem with that. If you don't wanna buy it, don't.
But to speak frankly, I think that people jumping on Mr. Fandango before his whistles had even been posted to the board for half an hour is crap, pure and simple.
I notice nobody sung his praises for offering his Sweet whistles at <b>half</b> the retail price.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Wandering_Whistler on 2002-12-02 20:07 ]</font>
Jeferson

Post by Jeferson »

Maybe I'm wrong, Greg, but what I've been hearing for the last couple of years is that Pat's wait list is around three years and that his age is, well, getting up there.

Like I said, I'm not commenting on the listing of the Sindts other than to say that I think the two scenarios are different. Maybe we disagree then.

Jef
ChrisLaughlin

Post by ChrisLaughlin »

Pat O'Riordan's waiting list is indeed measured in years, and he tells everyone ordering that he can't guarantee they'll ever get their order, because he is planning retirement soon.

There is a very, very good chance that someone placing an order from Pat now would never get their whistles, thus many people are willing to pay whatever it costs them to get one of his instruments.

Best,
Chris
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

Don't you guys see that you are all the same? High price, low price, premium, no premium: It doesn't matter. It is all money $$$. You are all supporting the dehumanizing exploitation of the money-economy! Subjugated in wage slavery and brain-washed in the consumer cult, you are dirt under the soles of the rent-parasites and interest-vampyres.

Support this insanity no longer! Down with money, currency and specie! Liberty and Dignity!
/Bloomfield
Azalin

Post by Azalin »

Ahhhh c'mon, we all know that Generation makes the best whistles! Generation RULEZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!!!!

If anyone wants one of my Generation whistles, I'll sell it for 100$, no waiting list.
Wandering_Whistler

On 2002-12-02 20:10, Jeferson wrote:
Maybe we disagree then.
Last I heard, it was two years, but I'd accept three. I'm not really in the O'Riordan loop. :wink:

I can accept the fact that we disagree about the sindt/o'riordan thing, and I didn't really mean to sound like I was jumping on you. I wasn't. I was just ticked at the situation, and writing vehemently. It just steams me every time some fairly innocent fella gets blindsided here by someone else's agenda when all they want to do is sell some whistles to a willing buyer.
ChrisLaughlin

Post by ChrisLaughlin »

Bloomfield... you are, by far, the funniest guy around (though Az is funnier looking). We should get together sometime soon and play some tunes before I head off to Mexico.
Best,
Chris
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Jaysus Phil,

I honestly don't have a clue what's gotten into you....Like WW mentioned: You had no problem at all with Michael Eskin, when I paid $250 for that O'Riordan C, which is approximately 2 times what it originally cost.

I really can't imagine what all this nonesense is that your spewing about "Right, Moral, blah, blah, blah..." you've even taken oblique shots at me for selling whistles in recent months, and I thought we were pals.

I don't see where anyone get's hurt here, so what's your problem? If someone asks too much for a whistle, people can simply laugh and and "Ha! He'll NEVER get that much!!" and perhaps they'll be correct, perhaps not, but no is having their arm twisted. And, unlike a shop where someone might wander off the street and buy a $150 Sindt without having any idea what the whistle would cost purchased direct , everyone here pretty much knows the score.

Why on earth should it bother you what price an individual ASKS for any of his or her private property? What business is it of yours?

Man, this message board gets stranger and stranger all the time.....

Loren
Bran

Post by Bran »

On 2002-12-02 13:46, Cees wrote:
Hey, Bran, where'd you come up with your username? I'm interested because my husband and I named our son that (he just turned two yesterday). It's a great name!

:smile:
This just shows you that great minds think alike.

Bran