Important international law question

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
jsluder
antispam: No

Post by jsluder »

Dominic Allan wrote:Do knives and spoons need to be kept appart?
The important thing is to keep the spoons separated from the dishes.
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
dwest

Post by dwest »

:boggle:
Last edited by dwest on Thu Mar 13, 2008 5:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Charlene

Post by Charlene »

I.D.10-t wrote:
Charlene wrote:I must be REALLY deviant! :lol:
Perhaps, which way does your toilet paper roll? Overhand or underhand?
over.
Charlene
Charlene

Post by Charlene »

jsluder wrote:
Dominic Allan wrote:Do knives and spoons need to be kept appart?
The important thing is to keep the spoons separated from the dishes.
Well, of course. We wouldn't want them to run away.
Charlene
Dominic Allan
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Dominic Allan »

dwest wrote:Knifes, forks and spoons are stored in the dishwasher. Come out of the dishwasher for use. Sit in the sink after use. Go back in the dishwasher before being used again. Sharp knives get hand washed very carefully and put in their own drawer carefully separated from each other. This is the path to world peace
This is what I would do left to my own devices.
sbfluter

Post by sbfluter »

All cutlery lives in the dish drainer. Unless it's being used or dirty. Forget the dishwasher. It really is easier just to wash dishes by hand.

And the TP is hung overhand. Either that or it's just sitting there because it's too darn big to fit on the roller.
~ Diane
Flutes: Tipple D and E flutes and a Casey Burns Boxwood Rudall D flute
Whistles: Jerry Freeman Tweaked D Blackbird
chrisoff
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by chrisoff »

sbfluter wrote: And the TP is hung overhand.
Except by my mum, god knows what she's playing at.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

I.D.10-t wrote:
Charlene wrote:I must be REALLY deviant! :lol:
Perhaps, which way does your toilet paper roll? Overhand or underhand?
I'm usually in too much of a hurry to care about public opinion on the matter, myself.

Hmm. This question about the storage and ordering of one's dining flatware is just plain fascinating as all get-out. And it's even more fascinating to to witness how people will without a thought - nay, eagerly - expose the personal and delicate details of their private lives in matters cutlerial. It's almost like sorting someone else's laundered underwear to watch it.

So, okay. My tray has five compartments: three shorter ones on the left with a long one rightmost, and a transverse-oriented bitty compartment above the short three. From left - my left - to right, 1) knives (nothing sharp), 2) spoons, 3) forks, and 4) the big guns - like chef's knives - that have seen better days but somehow I can't bear to part with. All the dining flatware come in three types, two of which are differing "bistro" styles, and the familiar plain flat metal handles which hurt my hands, so I don't use those. The bitty compartment has antiques in it like can/bottle openers, a steadily depopulating handful of corn-on-the-cob handle-prong-thingies, and an absinthe spoon (arguably the crown of French civilisation).

So, knife-spoon-fork, and to the devil with international niceties. It just sort of happened that way and so be it. The EU ain't gonna get its cultural tentacles into MY drawers.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

chrisoff wrote:
sbfluter wrote: And the TP is hung overhand.
Except by my mum, god knows what she's playing at.
I remember hearing an argument about this where the (male) consensus was that overhand was (much) more convenient and the only reason for having it underhand was some sort of prurience of a sexual nature. The argument went back and forth for a while until somebody said "Wait a minute. Do you use kitchen roll in your kitchen?"
"Yes, of course!"
"And how is it hung?"
<Embarassed silence.>
So the toilet paper was hung overhand from then on, and no argument.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
djm

Post by djm »

Nano wrote:My tray has five compartments: three shorter ones on the left with a long one rightmost, and a transverse-oriented bitty compartment above the short three. From left - my left - to right, 1) knives (nothing sharp), 2) spoons, 3) forks, and 4) the big guns - like chef's knives
OMG! :o You've got the tray sitting backwards in the drawer. No wonder the rest of your life is in disarray!

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

djm wrote:
Nano wrote:My tray has five compartments: three shorter ones on the left with a long one rightmost, and a transverse-oriented bitty compartment above the short three. From left - my left - to right, 1) knives (nothing sharp), 2) spoons, 3) forks, and 4) the big guns - like chef's knives
OMG! :o You've got the tray sitting backwards in the drawer. No wonder the rest of your life is in disarray!

djm
It's not wrong. I simply have a different...um...orientation. So fork you. :wink:
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
dwest

Post by dwest »

:boggle:
Last edited by dwest on Thu Mar 13, 2008 5:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

dwest wrote:First of all hand washing dishes is just icky! And I'd rather spend my time dissecting owl pellets or mucking about looking for salamanders in stagnant ephemeral ponds. Plus my dishwasher uses less water. :P
Some of us haven't the privilege of a choice in the matter. :really:

And anyway, I rinse dishes off when I'm done with 'em. How sensible, no? That way you can stack 'em up in the sink and they won't get all crusted and funkalicious and moldy and smelly while you're waiting to decide when to finally wash 'em. Which relaxed practice, I suggest, uses less water than a dishwashing machine. :thumbsup:

Well, okay, if you use the dishwasher on a daily basis. :wink:
djm

Post by djm »

Nano wrote:So fork you.
I expect nothing less from someone in your confused state.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

djm wrote:

djm

That's the answer! International Law can take a flying leap.

this site offers some options in silverware storage:

http://www.stacksandstacks.com/kitchen/ ... rganizers/
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm