When did Molloy switch from Rudall to Pratten?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Akiba
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am an Irish flute player and whistler. I have been a member since 2007? This has been one of the most informative sites on Irish flute I have found.

When did Molloy switch from Rudall to Pratten?

Post by Akiba »

Just listening to Matt Molloy's "Heathery Breeze" yet again, really listening to his tone, phrasing, intonation. I've misplaced the cover to the CD, but think he is playing a Rudall on the tracks he plays on D flute, e.g. tracks 1 and 12, as well as the waltz/aire in A(track #8?). Then, I listened to his Miss Monaghan reel on "Music at Matt Molloy's" track #9. I believe I've read that Molloy switched to a Boosey Pratten and is now playing an Olwell Pratten. Did Molloy already switch to his Boosey on the "Music at Matt Molloy" tracks, or is he still playing his Rudall? Can anyone give me a specific timeline when Molloy switched and his reason for doing so?

Thanks.
smoro
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by smoro »

I think he swithed to the Bossey Pratten flute as he left the Bothy Band and joined Planxty more or less. In "Music at Matt Molloy´s" he is playing the Bossey for sure.
Regards,
S.
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

I think on one of the Bothy Band album covers Matt can be seen holding a Rudall&Rose. His Pratten was in E flat and he seemed to prefer playing it over the D R&R.
kenr

Post by kenr »

Sorry lads but there is way too much ignorant guessing going on here.
The Eb he used on the black album was not a Pratten. Yes he is holding the R&R on the second Bothy Band LP. and yes he is holding the Pratten on the cover of The Stony Steps. He probably started using that flute as his main instrument around 1983/4. That info from Paul Davis from a conversation I probably had with him in 1985 or 86.

I think there used to be an interview with Molloy somewhere on the net that might give a bit more info.

Ken
Gostrangely

Post by Gostrangely »

Akiba
Tell us something.: I am an Irish flute player and whistler. I have been a member since 2007? This has been one of the most informative sites on Irish flute I have found.

Post by Akiba »

"I borrowed a Rudall and Rose -- I was presented with a Rudall and Rose to see what I thought of it. It was a beauty. A friend of mine gave it to me. I did all of the Bothy Band work with a Rudall and Rose." "What I play [at the time of this interview] is a Boosey...I keep going back to it. I'm playing it for the last 25 years now." Matt Molloy, 26 September 1997.

Yep--it's from the interview. I read it awhile ago and was too dog tired to remember and go back. Thanks for redirecting me.
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

kenr wrote:Sorry lads but there is way too much ignorant guessing going on here.
The Eb he used on the black album was not a Pratten.
Who made that E flat? It sure looks like a Pratten, in photos I've seen of it. But of course other makers made that style as well.
For decades I played a flute made c1860 by Koehler & Son, London, which is a dead-ringer for a Pratten. The bore, fingerhole spacing, and key style is identical.
I used to own a c1880 Boosey Pratten E flat that looked just like Molloy's.
Rob Sharer
Location: Either NC, Co. Clare, or Freiburg i.B., depending...

Post by Rob Sharer »

Just to add to the ignorant guessing, seems to me like most of the little Eb band flutes I've seen "in the wild" were stamped Hawkes & Son. That doesn't mean that Matt's was one of those, but there are a bunch of those out there so the odds may be very good. Cheers,

Rob
kenr

Post by kenr »

I have no idea who made that flute but I think you and I must be looking at different flutes. I've never seen anything by Boosey that looks like the flute on the black album. The rings and key pattern are totally different. I'm using Pratten as referring to the Pratten Perfected model made by Boosey not the generic description that modern makers have started to adopt for anything with bigger holes.

The keys on the flute on the black album don't looks like the Hawkes pattern either. although there are a lot of Hawkes Eb flutes around.
Ken
RudallRose

Post by RudallRose »

The Eb flute on the "black" album (funny we call it that....seeing as Seamus Tansey's recording was really the first "black album."...
anyway.....the flute he used had a banded head piece that appears on the original cover (i have one of them with the vinyl inside), then was airbrushed out because it didn't look like a traditional flute.....

now the latest CD versions (i saw one at Virgin yesterday) has the original banded flute photo back again.

Amusing.

I've tried for some time to figure out which maker it is by the shapes of the keys and cannot. It may just be a nice-playing german variety that he had around seeing as his father/granddad played, too.

it's possible.

apparently he hadn't planned on doing the recording in Eb at all, but Donal Lunny's zook was tuned there, so that's what it was.

the YouTube clip of the Bucks (great clip) at:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHcDY76a_eY

you can see the banding at the 1:45 mark.

ps....at the 1:40 mark you get a great look at the foot keys and they speak "German" flute to me.
Aanvil

Post by Aanvil »

Sorry Dave, but that just can't be German flute.

Everyone knows you can't make German flute sound like that.

;)

I had a chance to play a Boosey Eb a few times a while back... Like a little Pratten but in rocket form.

I still have dreams about it.

:D
Aanvil

-------------------------------------------------

I am not an expert
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

Aanvil wrote:Sorry Dave, but that just can't be German flute.

Everyone knows you can't make German flute sound like that.

;)

I had a chance to play a Boosey Eb a few times a while back... Like a little Pratten but in rocket form.

I still have dreams about it.

:D
Yes I miss it to...
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
pancelticpiper

Post by pancelticpiper »

kenr you're right, the flute Molloy is playing on the Bucks video doesn't look anything like the Boosey E flat I used to have.
Blackwood

Post by Blackwood »

apparently he hadn't planned on doing the recording in Eb at all, but Donal Lunny's zook was tuned there, so that's what it was.
Dave, i don't think Donal's Zouk has anything to do with this, look at the video and you can see him using a capo to get to Eb...
Rob Sharer
Location: Either NC, Co. Clare, or Freiburg i.B., depending...

Post by Rob Sharer »

Blackwood wrote:Dave, i don't think Donal's Zouk has anything to do with this, look at the video and you can see him using a capo to get to Eb...
...not to mention that there's a very different account from the aul' horse's mouth in the interview referenced above. Cheers,

Rob