plumbers tape to seal reeds

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
billh
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by billh »

Hi Jumper;

This stuff is not very similar to artificial sinew. I've tried the 'sinew' and found it totally unsuitable (IMO).

This thread is also different from other kinds of "waxed thread", insofar as the base material is polyamide and the wax is some sort of sticky synthetic stuff. I am not sure substitution would give the same results.

The material is otherwise known as "lacing twine" or "binding twine", it's used to bind electrical cables (or communications cables? not sure) together in bundles. RS is the only source I know of for the 'real stuff' (and yes, www.rswww.com should take you to your region's distributor).

regards,

Bill
Mike Hulme
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Mike Hulme »

Waxed thread for sewing leather needs to be thick so it seals the holes as it passes through and is drawn tight. The opposite is true for staunching the sides of reeds.
Mike

“Si fractum non sit, noli id refere”

http://www.uilleannpipesuk.org
MHay

Post by MHay »

Does this look like the same thing?

http://www.alliedelec.com/catalog/pf.aspx?FN=489.pdf
billh

Post by billh »

MHay wrote:Does this look like the same thing?

http://www.alliedelec.com/catalog/pf.aspx?FN=489.pdf
Well, there are 18 different twines on that page :-D

You don't want the rubber-coated stuff, or the round cross-section. That narrows it down... most of those twines are also too wide, at nearly 1/10".

The 293-0410 and 293-0415 part numbers might be OK, at about 1.5mm width, though I prefer something a bit smaller still (1.2mm). The second one, 293-0415, is listed as "black", so perhaps this is a source for the black waxed stuff.

But really folks... Sam and I gave you the part number and an international website for the exact material we're using, wasn't that good enough for you ? :-D

Bill
Kevin King

Post by Kevin King »

I've been useing thread for tying oboe and bassoon reeds with is a polyester thread but I'd like to try the waxed polymide thread. Does it make any difference to the sound what thread is used,is anyone useing waxed hemp anymore.
thanks
Kevin
Brazenkane

Post by Brazenkane »

For those in the USA, Tim Britton can supply the white thread. It's great stuff!