Do you like this whistling?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.

Do you like this playing?

Yes, I like it.
73%
Neutral -- not too bad, but not a favorite.
16%
No, I don't like it.
11%

Total votes: 80

Guinness

Post by Guinness »

CranberryDog wrote:I completely agree. Why the rush? Where is the rhythm? Where is the soul?
True, at least about the soul part. It does seem to be missing a Ray Charles like quality.
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

Dale wrote:I vote rushed. Skilled, but rushed. Where's the fire?
All things considered maybe the fire was within. It was also 1978/79 and the player a teenager with a distinct and justified feeling time was limited. Just a wild guess these things may have contributed to what you hear.

I personally don't feel the track is overly rushed and while playing on this track is fast, part of the speed may have been caused by the tape recorder I played back the tape on (check the pitch and you'll know by how much).

[edited to make more sense by inserting word that was omitted first time around ]
Last edited by Cayden on Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tucson Whistler
antispam: No

Post by Tucson Whistler »

I liked it. It was fast, but I still thought it sounded good. It's not something I'd relax to, but it is something I'd like to practice with. Granted, I still consider myself somewhat a beginner, but I don't think tonguing is horrible. I do think it's okay to tongue some (I've heard players tongue a lot and sound awesome). I'm sure I still tongue too much (I've been practicing my ornamentation). But, when I play badly, I don't think it's the tonguing that sounds bad sound, it's the lack of rhythm, the lack of confidence, and the lack of practice.

I would also like to point out that I'm not talking about tonguing every single note or tonguing really hard and making everything staccato.
"Life is far too important to be taken seriously"
~Oscar Wilde
Pat Cannady
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Pat Cannady »

I thought it was brilliant whistle playing. Your man sounds like a force of nature.
lalit
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by lalit »

The first tuned sounded rushed to me once it got going. I had to stop the track. It was raising my heart rate. I voted that I didn't like it.

Then I read everyone's comments. I went back and listened to the second tune. I liked it. The first tune still had the same rushed feeling to me.

Knowing that the player was a teenager when the recording was made explains something.
kenny

Post by kenny »

A bit unfair, don't you think, to judge a musician on the basis of one single track ? Probably best that I say no more about this.
"There's fast music and there's lively music. People don't always know the difference"
crookedtune
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by crookedtune »

Well, I have to say I love everything about it --- the speed, the expressiveness, the angst, fear and anger, the imperfections, the pushing the limits of ability... I personally feel it to be brimming over with soul. As a bit of solo whistle playing I think it's brilliant.

Once again, it's all subjective. I'd bring hellfire down on myself if I named a few prominent whistle players I don't really care for! :lol:
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

crookedtune wrote:Well, I have to say I love everything about it --- the speed, the expressiveness, the angst, fear and anger, the imperfections, the pushing the limits of ability... I personally feel it to be brimming over with soul. As a bit of solo whistle playing I think it's brilliant.

Once again, it's all subjective. I'd bring hellfire down on myself if I named a few prominent whistle players I don't really care for! :lol:
I think we can all name a few 'names' that don't speak to us. I sure can.

This is not one of them, Donncha's recording, even if it's very much of it's time, is one of the highlights, one of the great classic recordings of whistle music.
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

I loved it.

I find no need to criticize it, not because there is no point where it could be criticized, but because I don't feel the need to pick at it. It is one person's version at one point in time, and it was very enjoyable. The player is obviously skilled and no newcomer to the instrument.

(Yes, I do know who it was)

Would I play it the same way. LOL! I would love to be so capable. :lol:
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
pipersgrip
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by pipersgrip »

I thought it was awesome, but I really like fast music too, I also really love music slow and full of soul. My two favorite guitarists are Stevie Ray Vaughan and Yngwie Malmsteen, those are an example what I like, I like extreme music playing.
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

Interesting enough I uploaded a slow air by the same player (from a 1975 home recording) and linked it to a thread a few weeks ago. After two weeks it had 8 downloads all done during the first week, I took it down then.

What does that tell us?
BoneQuint

Post by BoneQuint »

Peter Laban wrote:Interesting enough I uploaded a slow air by the same player (from a 1975 home recording) and linked it to a thread a few weeks ago. After two weeks it had 8 downloads all done during the first week, I took it down then.

What does that tell us?
Tells me I'm glad I saved it.
Jon-M

Post by Jon-M »

This is one of those silly discussions, like when someone claims that Mary Bergin "overornaments" or "plays too fast" except that the virtuosic Donncha O'Briain is--for reasons many of you know--even more immune to these proclamations of personal taste than Bergin is.
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

I voted neutral. Tounging or lack of is not a factor to me provided the tune flows. I do agree that it lacked something in expression- much to mechanical sounding to suit me. But no doubt that it does show great technical ability.
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
lyrick

Post by lyrick »

I love it. Every six months or so I come across a whistle recording that I find mesmerizing, and I spend weeks trying to learn the tunes and internalize the rhythms. For the last few weeks it’s been this recording, along with another version of the same tunes by him.

If you think it’s missing something, try slowing it down with Audacity or Amazing Slowdowner, which I’ve done in order to learn it. I was amazed to hear how much swing he has in his playing (it’s almost hornpipey in spots), and how perfect his rhythm is. It’s just too fast for most people’s ears to hear it when he plays it at that speed.

It shows how good he is, in my opinion, that he can play at that speed and still have swing and great rhythm. I enjoy it more a little slower. And maybe some of us just need to develop our listening skills.

If someone hadn’t mentioned this as a supposed example of lots of tounging, I wouldn’t have even thought about it. It’s just awesome playing, that’s all I hear. I also like Micho Russell, who tongues a lot. I like Willie Clancy’s playing, who has a very legato style. Brian Finnegan’s playing does nothing for me, but not because he tongues a lot, he just doesn’t get me into an internal groove like these other players. Go figure.

Maybe the music is more about the rhythm and phrasing and some intangible groove (and personal taste) and not whether someone tongues or not.
Love...Serve...Remember