Do you like this whistling?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.

Do you like this playing?

Yes, I like it.
73%
Neutral -- not too bad, but not a favorite.
16%
No, I don't like it.
11%

Total votes: 80

BoneQuint
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Do you like this whistling?

Post by BoneQuint »

In another thread, this clip was given as an example of good playing that uses tonguing. Someone else posted they didn't like it. What do you think?

Maple Leaf / Man of Aran
Pyroh

Post by Pyroh »

I think it´s damn good. I want to play like that one day :-)

People who dismiss tonguing are mostly people who are charmed by ornaments and throw away the stuff they started on (mostly). Tonguing has its uses certainly!
talasiga
antispam: No

Post by talasiga »

I polled that I didn't like it.
Its not the tonguing I don't like.
That or lack of it is not an issue for me.
Its not that the person is a better whistler than me,
way better. NO. I am not bitter about better players.
Its because it was played too rushed.
Good music can be played as fast as that mind you.
What makes something rushed is when the sounds don't sculpt the gaps, the little silences and pauses that invite our feelings to fill it.

I have heard very fast Irish whistling and yet the player has
sculpted gaps and described the silences in all the busy articulations
and that contrast bumps everything up, heavenward if you know what I mean.

I wouldn't like to know that piece as well as that and have all that technical mastery to end up performing like that. That is not where I want to end up with ITM whistling.

Its not only about mastery - its about mystery.

Perhaps this is all a rationalisation. I know I didn't like it and I know I have heard fast stuff that I like. Just trying to explain why I voted NO.

Thanks for the poll.
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
emtor

Post by emtor »

I voted that I liked it.
You did not use tounging as a replacment of rolls etc, which is why I voted as I did. I hate it when people skip ornamentation and replace it with tounging.
Nice rools, nice rythm and nice tunes, but a little less tounging here and there would perhaps have been something to experiment with.
Guinness

Post by Guinness »

Good. Very good in fact. Yes, this is somewhat fast but not rushed (sorry Talasiga). Where do I get the CD?

Edit: The telltale signs of rushed playing are uneven tempo, improper accenting or lack of pulse, poor placement of breaths, insufficient duration of cadence notes, and poor tone (improper breath regulation).
Last edited by Guinness on Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

I vote rushed. Skilled, but rushed. Where's the fire?
colomon
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

Guinness wrote:Good. Very good in fact. Yes, this is somewhat fast but not rushed (sorry Talasiga). Where do I get the CD?
Sorry, that album has never been released on CD.
Sol's Tunes (new tune 2/2020)
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

I agree with Dale. Could you get that person to record a slowed-down version of that same tune and get us to vote on which we like better?
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
colomon
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

mutepointe wrote:I agree with Dale. Could you get that person to record a slowed-down version of that same tune and get us to vote on which we like better?
That seems quite unlikely, considering that he died in 1990.
Sol's Tunes (new tune 2/2020)
Bothrops

Post by Bothrops »

Stunning playing.
Guinness

Post by Guinness »

mutepointe wrote:I agree with Dale. Could you get that person to record a slowed-down version of that same tune and get us to vote on which we like better?
http://www.filefactory.com/file/5ec01f
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

I submitted "neutral" because I had mixed feelings. On the one hand a virtuosic performance, but somehow not great to listen to for the sake of listening. Probably really fine for dances - good solid tempo that was maintained throughout. Through most of it, though played well at a pace I can't approach, did not really sound rushed (but for a bit at the beginning, but I just woke up). SO, good to dance to but I wouldn't want to sit around and listen to it much.

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
plunk111
Tell us something.: Love playing trumpet and modern flute at church as well as Irish trad flute in a band. Been playing Irish trad and 18th century period music for about 15 years.

Post by plunk111 »

I like the technique (probably because I like using a bit "too much" tonguing myself), but I agree with the other comments as to "rushing". There is really no reason to play so fast unless you're trying to show off. Bottom line - like the technique - don't like the overall speed.

Pat
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

His articulation and musicality are wonderful, but (if I'm to be picky) it does sometimes feel like he's playing at the edge of his abilities. He's still in control but on a few tunes he feels like he's right at the edge. And if you tap out the beat, he does speed up in Maple Leaf a couple of times which adds to the feeling. But being a solo piece the artist is free to work the tempo to suit him.

I have always found this album to be more 'listenable' than, say, 'Tin Whistles' by Potts and Moloney. By that I mean if I'm wanting to be entertained rather than instructed, I put on this one before 'Tin Whistles.' Maybe even before Mary Bergen's two CD's. Maybe not. Probably a toss up depending on mood.
CranberryDog

Post by CranberryDog »

talasiga wrote:I polled that I didn't like it.
Its not the tonguing I don't like.
That or lack of it is not an issue for me.
Its not that the person is a better whistler than me,
way better. NO. I am not bitter about better players.
Its because it was played too rushed.
Its not only about mastery - its about mystery.

Perhaps this is all a rationalisation. I know I didn't like it and I know I have heard fast stuff that I like. Just trying to explain why I voted NO.

Thanks for the poll.
I completely agree. Why the rush? Where is the rhythm? Where is the soul?