as slow as i can

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Cathy Wilde
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Oooh, ooh that's my fave, right there -- but I left it out because of the lack of flute. There is some fun whistling however .... :-)

Another nice one if you like fiddles and accordions is Diarmuid O Brien's new "Cairde Cairdin." Wonderful.
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
Dana
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Dana »

Thanks for the suggestions, all! :) Now to go listen...

Dana
cocusflute

Post by cocusflute »

Bump.

This thread, emphasizing the importance of playing slowly, is too good to lt die.

Start every tune within your comfort zone. Only play as fast as the most difficult part can be played. Speed of playing is not a virtue. Playing too fast makes a tune ugly. Relax - speed makes you tense. Tension can ruin the beauty of the tune.
The struggle in Palestine is an American war, waged from Israel, America's most heavily armed foreign base and client state. We don't think of the war in such terms. Its assigned role has been clear: the destruction of Arab culture and nationalism.
Rob Sharer
Location: Either NC, Co. Clare, or Freiburg i.B., depending...

Post by Rob Sharer »

cocusflute wrote:Relax - speed makes you tense.
Yeah, man, I get all wound up every time I watch Molloy play "The Bucks." He really should watch himself. Cheers,

Rob
monkey587
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by monkey587 »

Dana wrote:I want more... Who else plays like this?
You might like Paddy Carty, Roger Sherlock, and Sean Moloney.
William Bajzek
cocusflute

Post by cocusflute »

Yeah, well, Mr. S.A., I'm not talking to Matt Molloy, now am I?
I'm talking to you, bro', so watch it.
Slow down...
The struggle in Palestine is an American war, waged from Israel, America's most heavily armed foreign base and client state. We don't think of the war in such terms. Its assigned role has been clear: the destruction of Arab culture and nationalism.
Rob Sharer

Post by Rob Sharer »

R-R-R-R-R-RRRCH!!! {tires smoke}

Rob
daiv

Post by daiv »

cocusflute wrote:Yeah, well, Mr. S.A., I'm not talking to Matt Molloy, now am I?
I'm talking to you, bro', so watch it.
Slow down...
i would disagree. i think most of the time matt molloy plays too fast. i dont like most of his playing i have heard. however, some of his solos, like bucks and some (not all) of the bothy ones, are fantastic.
Rob Sharer

Post by Rob Sharer »

That's tellin' him, Daiv! Sure, what does James Galway know, anyhow?
daiv

Post by daiv »

Rob Sharer wrote:That's tellin' him, Daiv! Sure, what does James Galway know, anyhow?
haha, he knows how to make a lot more money than i do!
cocusflute

Post by cocusflute »

It's interesting, isn't it?
A player who is in his comfort zone can play a million miles an hour and still play in a relaxed, easy style, conveying an intimacy with the tune.
A player playing slowly, but still out of his comfort zone, will sound rushed and tense.
The point is that it isn't the speed itself that ruins the tune- but the loss of that swing that comes when you're easy and which you lose when you're pushed to play faster than you can.