To cut or to tongue?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
BlackFire_
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

To cut or to tongue?

Post by BlackFire_ »

I'm having trouble deciding in certain situations whether to cut or to tongue, mainly in Blackthorn Stick's second part, there's something like edd gdd|edd gdd,

and in the Kesh, first part, the same thing, edd gdd, do I cut between the d's or tongue?

Tonguing is way easier and cutting sounds bad unless its really really tight, but I don't want to do it the wrong way and have to relearn it later.

What should I do?
DCrom
antispam: No

Post by DCrom »

Cut 'em, I think. It's mostly a matter of practice.

I used to have the same problem, but - though I'm still a so/so player - I now find that cuts are usually easier, not harder, than tonguing.

What might help is NOT trying to cut the e-d-d g-d-d sequences with your "d" finger (R3, if you play right handed). Doing e-d (cut e) d might be harder for you to do with good rhythm at first. Instead, try cutting with L3 or R1.

My two cents -
StevieJ
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Old hand, active in the early 2000s. Less active in recent years but still lurking from time to time.

Re: To cut or to tongue?

Post by StevieJ »

BlackFire_ wrote:What should I do?
Either is fine. Depends which sound you like best. Taps can be useful too although obviously not to separate ds.

Whatever you decide, you have to get the rhythm right. This page may help: http://www.rogermillington.com/siamsa/b ... jigsI.html
Petey Whistle

Post by Petey Whistle »

There are many possibilities. You can cut, cran, triplet, omit a note, hold a note longer, etc.. Whatever technique, practice is the key!

For the Blackthorn stick I tend to either cram a cran into the dd bit you are reffering to, or I simply combine the dd into a single d (with longer time duration).

For the Kesh I typically combine the dd in a single d (of longer time duration). Sometimes I tongue a dd.
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

I'm going through this now, switching from the flute, on which I almost never tongued, to the low whistle.
On the high whistle I tongue a lot, on the flute hardly ever...which is best for low whistle? I'm ending up with a hybrid approach, a style halfway between my flute playing and my high whistle playing.
Anyhow so if you're playing high whistle I would try both and go with whichever sounds best to you.
On flute or low whistle I would use cuts as a matter of course, tonguing less often.
Now your question about seperating middle D's, it's funny that many of the "old school" fluteplayers I've heard, who rarely or ever tongue, also do not cut middle D. They would use a "breath push" to seperate those D's. Listen to some of the old guys and you'll hear it.
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

Either is fine. Just don't cut your tongue.
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
PallasAthena

Post by PallasAthena »

I don't toung at all in The Blackthorn Stick except at the start of phrases. I find using cuts rather than tounging on the repetitive notes makes them feel less repetative.
Carey
Location: In the dog house. Gone playing music too much recently.

Post by Carey »

BlackFire_ wrote:I'm having trouble deciding in certain situations whether to cut or to tongue, mainly in Blackthorn Stick's second part, there's something like edd gdd|edd gdd,

and in the Kesh, first part, the same thing, edd gdd, do I cut between the d's or tongue?

Tonguing is way easier and cutting sounds bad unless its really really tight, but I don't want to do it the wrong way and have to relearn it later.

What should I do?
If you find there are options like that, practice them both, or them all if you include rolls, taps etc. Whatever you think works, practice it. Then, when you are playing, use one technique for the first time thru, and another for the second, and so forth. Or back to the first, whatever you wish. It's this sort of playing with the tune that makes it interesting. It is NOT doing this sort of playing with the tune that makes it boring, and leads to only two times and on to the next tune in many sessions.

Between my fiddler buddy and I, we like to mix it up for each time through and it makes three or four or five reps fun to play and fun to listen to. Ryan Duns is a great example of using variations to add interest to a tune. Have a listen to some of his stuff on YouTube to see what I'm talking about and it's even done with The Kesh.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnUy349nuqA

Enjoy!

Carey
When there's a huge spill of solar energy, it's just called a nice day.

http://www.parkswhistles.com
Bothrops

Post by Bothrops »

crookedtune wrote:Either is fine. Just don't cut your tongue.
+1 :lol:
Cron-Z
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Cron-Z »

Bothrops wrote:
crookedtune wrote:Either is fine. Just don't cut your tongue.
+1 :lol:
You beat me to it :P ...
+1 anyway!
StevieJ
Tell us something.: Old hand, active in the early 2000s. Less active in recent years but still lurking from time to time.

Post by StevieJ »

Carey wrote:If you find there are options like that, practice them both, or them all if you include rolls, taps etc. Whatever you think works, practice it. Then, when you are playing, use one technique for the first time thru, and another for the second, and so forth. Or back to the first, whatever you wish. It's this sort of playing with the tune that makes it interesting. It is NOT doing this sort of playing with the tune that makes it boring, and leads to only two times and on to the next tune in many sessions.
This advice sounds very reasonable until you consider the question that was asked - i.e. what to do between two high ds in phrases such as edd gdd|edd gdd

To suggest that varying your treatment of these figures as you go through the tune is - with respect - daft. It will lead to a real dog's breakfast, no style at all, and far from sustaining the interest of the listener who knows this music, it will instantly cause him or her to write you off as someone who hasn't a clue.
Petey Whistle wrote:There are many possibilities. You can cut, cran, triplet, omit a note, hold a note longer, etc.. Whatever technique, practice is the key!

For the Blackthorn stick I tend to either cram a cran into the dd bit you are reffering to, or I simply combine the dd into a single d (with longer time duration).

For the Kesh I typically combine the dd in a single d (of longer time duration).
Here is a another selection of suggestions that are not appropriate in the context of the question Blackfire asked. In particular, playing a single long d in place of the two ds is a very effective way to put concrete slippers on the tune.

Sorry Blackfire but you really ought to disregard advice like this.
straycat82

Post by straycat82 »

Time spent practicing cutting is never wasted time. You can only get better/quicker/tighter. I personally prefer the sound of cutting repetitive double notes versus tonguing (most of the time).

Also, don't just look at your options as "tongue or cut". Sometimes a combo makes for a nice kick. Don't look only at double or triple notes as an opportunity for articulation; listen to the pulse for opportunities to exploit the uniqueness of that particular tune.
Consider this:
Tongue the first D and cut the second. This will give it a nice staccato punch and exaggerate the double jig rhythm.
I hear a lot of this type of sound when I listen to staccato styled pipers such as Liam O'Flynn.
Ceili_whistle_man

Post by Ceili_whistle_man »

Do what you want Blackfire, but stay away from tonguing, I don't care how easy it may be, it sounds s--t.
Tonguing is not the answer, it should be used as a last resort when there is no other way of articulating between the said two D notes.
Whale Oil Beef Hooked!
Whitmores75087

Post by Whitmores75087 »

Funny you should mention Kesh Jig. I've never liked the tune. I tried taking out some notes and stripping it down to the basic themes and it sounded better to me without all that staccato, especially in the closing phrases of Part B. Wanderer does about the best job I've heard, and ironically he ornaments the thing heavily all the way through and doesn't drop any notes, so go figure! I guess the message is, if you can do it well, it sounds good. If not, don't do it.
Short bio: 1952-
NicoMoreno
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Post by NicoMoreno »

Ceili_whistle_man wrote:Do what you want Blackfire, but stay away from tonguing, I don't care how easy it may be, it sounds s--t.
Tonguing is not the answer, it should be used as a last resort when there is no other way of articulating between the said two D notes.
[sarcasm] Yeah, that's obviously true. Tonguing does sound horrible. [/sarcasm]

Maybe you should, you know, actually listen to good irish whistlers?

Here's a start:
Maple Leaf / Man of Aran - lots of tonguing!