How do i revive after work???

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Il Friscaletto
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

How do i revive after work???

Post by Il Friscaletto »

I try to practice every night, but there are some nights I get home from work and I just feel completely drained. I have a long commute (at least an hour) and this seems to be what's taking it out of me.

Anyone have any suggestions for getting oneself in the practicing mood, for those days when you just don't feel motivated? I would like to stay away from the caffeine solution.
crookedtune
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by crookedtune »

I haven't always got the energy or discipline, but when I do, I stop by our local gym on my way home, and do a brief 20-30 minute light workout. That usually energizes me for the evening, but of course it also cuts into my practice time. Work is a really inconvenient aspect of my life. :sniffle:
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
Cathy Wilde
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Alas, not having work is darned inconvenient, too. <sigh>
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
BenS

Post by BenS »

Not a substitute for dedicated practice sessions, but I like to bring my flute with me when I go places, if possible. I can sneak in a couple of tunes between activities, even in my car when I get to work, or before leaving work. I find it a reviving little break.

Good luck,
Ben
Ctrl Alt Del

Post by Ctrl Alt Del »

I also have a long commute I was experiencing the same issues of being too tired to practice when I get home, and also not wanting to take too much quality time from the family.

I'm fortunate to have a little park only 5 minutes from work so I've started heading down there 2-3 days each week at lunch time and doing some playing/practice (It's summer in Australia!) As I'm only a newbie to ITM it took a bit of 'courage' for me to start to do it. The first couple of times I drove my car down there and played in my car. But now I find a shady tree, sit down, and just let the world pass me by for a while.

I still try to practice at home on the other days, but this augments my practicing and has the added bonus of making the afternoon just a little more pleasant! :)
I find that I need rebooting every now and then!
AnthonyBeers

Post by AnthonyBeers »

going for a brisk walk usually perks me up, actually doing anything rather than the nothing that I think I want to do tends to snap me out of a funk.

cheers
Estamos Juntos
Aanvil

Re: How do i revive after work???

Post by Aanvil »

Il Friscaletto wrote:I try to practice every night, but there are some nights I get home from work and I just feel completely drained. I have a long commute (at least an hour) and this seems to be what's taking it out of me.

Anyone have any suggestions for getting oneself in the practicing mood, for those days when you just don't feel motivated? I would like to stay away from the caffeine solution.

How about taking the train and busking on it. :)
Aanvil

-------------------------------------------------

I am not an expert
Cubitt

Post by Cubitt »

I find when I'm tired, I make mistakes that don't necessarily seem to stem from fatigue. From experience, however, I know that's what it is.

If you play when your energy is low, do so standing up. I like to play in the kitchen, where I position myself in a counter corner. It's close to sitting down, but I am more alert and play better.
"In times of trial, swearing often provides a solace denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain
norcalbob

Post by norcalbob »

Last night I was fairly well spent after two very full and intense days at work. One of the things I will do on days like that is just allow myself to dabble with the flute without any particular routine, schedule or goal; I just pick it up and play scales, long tones, or short, easy tunes, or practice cuts etc without much concentration - almost unconscious playing. So last night, while I was engaging in the brain dead activity of watching Simon unmercifully crucify some poor, pretty young women with stage fright on American Idol, I would play my flute in between songs and during commercials. I feel like any time I spend playing my flute, whether I'm tired and unfocused or not, has a positive, cumulative effect, and it maintains my commitment play at least a little bit everyday.
Last edited by norcalbob on Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bob

Come to the edge/ It's too high/ Come to the edge/ We might fall/ Come to the edge/ And we came/ And he pushed/ And we flew!
Guillaume Apollinaire
sbfluter

Post by sbfluter »

What do you do in the evening when you feel completely drained? If it is watch TV, I'm afraid that probably doesn't help un-drain you much.
~ Diane
Flutes: Tipple D and E flutes and a Casey Burns Boxwood Rudall D flute
Whistles: Jerry Freeman Tweaked D Blackbird
norcalbob

Post by norcalbob »

sbfluter wrote:What do you do in the evening when you feel completely drained? If it is watch TV, I'm afraid that probably doesn't help un-drain you much.
Sometimes mindless and brain dead fills the bill for me....
Bob

Come to the edge/ It's too high/ Come to the edge/ We might fall/ Come to the edge/ And we came/ And he pushed/ And we flew!
Guillaume Apollinaire
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

If you're driving that much, play while you're pumping gas. I do, it takes my mind off the prices.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Guinness

Post by Guinness »

Treat the practice as play time.
Aanvil

Post by Aanvil »

Guinness wrote:Treat the practice as play time.
Its not?

:)
Aanvil

-------------------------------------------------

I am not an expert
Guinness

Post by Guinness »

Aanvil wrote:
Guinness wrote:Treat the practice as play time.
Its not?

:)
Not for some people. :(