Classy move from Eric Idle

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
s1m0n
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Classy move from Eric Idle

Post by s1m0n »

My opinion was fairly high to begin with, but I still think this was a classy move.

NEW YORK — Britney Spears is out, Posh Spice is in _ as a lyric for the Lady in the Lake in the Broadway musical "Monty Python's Spamalot." Asked why the lyric was changed in the song "Diva's Lament," "Spamalot" author Eric Idle said Tuesday in an e-mail:

"Because we don't laugh at sad people. Mike Nichols (the show's director) requested it and he's right. We changed the lyrics in London, on tour, on Broadway and in Las Vegas. We think that it's now too sad. Britney Spears is being tortured to death and we don't want to be on that side."
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
anniemcu
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

:thumbsup: Good move!
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
Denny

Post by Denny »

ya, 'tis
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

I think this was a good ethical choice.
Reasonable person
Walden
dwinterfield
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by dwinterfield »

Good for him and hopefully it will get better for her.
buddhu

Post by buddhu »

:thumbsup:
And whether the blood be highland, lowland or no.
And whether the skin be black or white as the snow.
Of kith and of kin we are one, be it right, be it wrong.
As long as our hearts beat true to the lilt of a song.
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Yep, he chose wisely.

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

More mensches like those, we could use.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

The Python guys have usally been of that mind, not to pick on those who couldn't stand up for themselves.

Proud to be a Python fan :)
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
Ronbo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Ronbo »

Tyler wrote:The Python guys have usally been of that mind, not to pick on those who couldn't stand up for themselves.

Proud to be a Python fan :)
I still wish that those who are left could get back together for some new work. It would be tough to beat the original insanity, but they could probably do it.
wgority

Post by wgority »

Ronbo wrote:I still wish that those who are left could get back together for some new work. It would be tough to beat the original insanity, but they could probably do it.
I'd actually prefer they not reunite. Much as I love Python and have followed and enjoyed much of what its constituent members have done in the years since their separation, to have them together without Graham Chapman (R.I.P.) is far too great an omission to allow it to be the same.

They were awarded something or aonther a few years ago at the Denver Comedy Festival (I think I recealled that right), and hearing them reminisce was wonderful. If they kept it in that vein, it might be worth seeing and hearing. On the upside - at that event, they did have GC represented by a funerary urn with his photo on it.

If you've not already done so, I always suggest people check out John Cleese's eulogy for Graham Chapman. It's a masterpiece of comedy. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkxCHybM6Ek
Pipers Gathering--More Fun, More Music
August 1-4, 2008 in Killington, VT
http://www.pipersgathering.org
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

wgority wrote: If you've not already done so, I always suggest people check out John Cleese's eulogy for Graham Chapman. It's a masterpiece of comedy. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkxCHybM6Ek
I'll have to watch it when I'm not at work.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
djm

Post by djm »

There's a 2-DVD set called Monty Python Live. It includes a tv interview with the group post-Chapman. Chapman is present, however, as a funerary urn set on the coffee table. It is inevitable that half way through the interview, someone suffers a brief leg spasm, kicks the urn flying, and Chapman's ashes are sent up in a cloud all over the set, with the Pythons miming great upset and regret at this most unfortunate incident.

Classic stuff.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

s1m0n wrote:
wgority wrote: If you've not already done so, I always suggest people check out John Cleese's eulogy for Graham Chapman. It's a masterpiece of comedy. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkxCHybM6Ek
I'll have to watch it when I'm not at work.
Absolutely priceless!!! I would have expected nothing less of Cleese :lol:
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown