Posting clips

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Jayhawk
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

I agree with you that the mic is really important...as you'll hear on this slow aire which I just recorded on my 10 year old freebie mic that came with my prior computer (don't know the name of the aire BTW - any help would be appreciated):

http://www.box.net/shared/1p7e71x8gc

I also, for the life of me, I cannot figure out how to get my files to open in the open box player. Any ideas?

Eric
Last edited by Jayhawk on Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rob Sharer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1
Location: Either NC, Co. Clare, or Freiburg i.B., depending...

Post by Rob Sharer »

That's a lovely air you're playing...I'm pretty sure I've heard a song sung to that air, but I can't name it.

I did notice a difference in how your file loads. When I clicked your link, I got the old Open/Save/Cancel prompt, and when I clicked Open, the file opened in the WMP rather than the box player. My one opens in the box player, yet I can't tell by comparing your link to mine just what the difference might be. Any sachems out there care to elucidate? Cheers,

Rob
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

Rob - that's what's driving me nuts...why won't miles files open in the box player?

So anyone else out there...any ideas?

Eric
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Not sure this will help - and there's assorted advice back up-thread if you scan for it - seem to recall this problem may be induced by the file extensions being in upper case - "MP3". Convert them to "mp3" before uploading and see what happens. If they are already in lower case, dunno..........
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
JeffS

Post by JeffS »

Michael -
Regarding the first few bars of Limestone Rock, I'm playing

dc|BG ~G AGGA|DG~G A2dc|

I try to cut the first A note and either hold the second A or do a short roll on it.

Jeff
"Where I came from, to get enough to eat was an achievement. To get enough to get drunk was a victory" (Brendan Behan)
mahanpots

Post by mahanpots »

JeffS,
It's not in my nature to get into critiquing a fellow flute player who's got some experience, but I feel I have to say that I think you're trying to put too much ornamentation in that section of Tit for Tat/Limestone Rock. To me, it sounds a bit jumbled. Maybe it's something to look at...

Sincerely,

Michael
Olwell Pratten.
Paddy Cronin's Jig
Limestone Rock, Silver Spear
Blasting, billowing, bursting forth with the power of 10 billion butterfly sneezes
Jayhawk

Post by Jayhawk »

Jem - I looked over that thread before, and the file is named correctly. I emailed the box.net folks, and they couldn't figure it out, either.

Am I the only person using Audacity to record their clips? Anyone else using Audacity have similar problems?

The box.net support folks told me that maybe the file wasn't really and MP3...but it is an MP3 file and the properties are the same as the MP3s I move over to my wifes MP3 player and my phone (which also only accepts MP3 files).

Oh well - it's safe to play in Windows Media Player...I promise.

Eric
Rob Sharer
Location: Either NC, Co. Clare, or Freiburg i.B., depending...

Post by Rob Sharer »

Aha! My copy of Audacity claims it can't legally create mp3 files, since mp3 is a proprietary format. When I tried loading an Audacity .wav file to Box, it acted just like yours does, i.e. went straight to WMP. I'm going to guess your mp3 is really a .wav in disguise. Cheers,

Rob
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Rama, thanks for the kind words. I love the sound of your Bflat clips -- makes me miss my Burns Bflat, although I don't miss the tendinitis that came with the low flute.
mahanpots wrote: Chas,
That sounds like it's a sweet tune, one worth learning. I found Gary's cd online and that tune was available for a listen. I'm not real familiar with mazurkas, but I had trouble with your rhythm in a few places. Thanks for sharing it.
Thanks, Michael, I know what you mean. I just can't seem to adjust to accidentals and alternate keys playing Irish music. I don't have (much of) a problem in other types of music. I wonder if it's that I learned on a keyless playing Irish music and it's more ingrained. The second tune of that set (which I didn't record) is in A -- I sound downright herky-jerky playing it. ;) I'm not gonna give up, though.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
rama
Tell us something.: flute itm flute, interested in the flute forum for discussions and the instrument exchange forum to buy and sell flutes

Post by rama »

mahanpots wrote: Rama,
I really enjoyed the Dunphy's clip. There are some variations in there I could learn if I took the time. How long have you been playing the Bb?

[

i like your version i hear some nice ways to play vary some parts. i think that's a good thing here - listening to different versions etc. it's been helping me.
i've had the bflat flute bout 4 years now. don't play it all the time. strangely, mostly play it in the wintertime, as i tend to hibernate and feel a little like bflatty...

keep posting tunes! it's like a refinement in playing happens...
Jayhawk

Post by Jayhawk »

Thanks Rob! Now, does anyone have any idea what I can use to switch what I record in Audacity into an MP3 (preferably free - I'm off to be robbed by the fine folks at Disney for a week and the brakes just went out on the car)?

Eric
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Jayhawk wrote:Thanks Rob! Now, does anyone have any idea what I can use to switch what I record in Audacity into an MP3 (preferably free - I'm off to be robbed by the fine folks at Disney for a week and the brakes just went out on the car)?

Eric
Acez All Audio Converter is functional freeware - available from download.com - I've used it satisfactorily.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

On the Mac you use lamelib to export MP3's from Audacity. In a pulldown menu there's an option to export MP3. That's not grayed out, but if you select it it tells you that lamelib is what you need. The PC version may tell you what you need, but if it doesn't have an "export mp3" option, you might need to export a WAV and then use an MP3 encoder, many of which are available at download.com and presumably other places.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
ImNotIrish

Post by ImNotIrish »

According to Rama, I should post another clip.
I have been having some trouble with reels, so here's one I happen to really like. It's called The Torrid Romance. I usually follow this with Boil the Breakfast Early.
Comments appreciated,but not required. Nuff said.
Arbo

http://www.box.net/shared/oaeiz6q048
The Torrid Romance
Jayhawk

Post by Jayhawk »

Does this work?

http://www.box.net/shared/84nrcpvk0s

I've now downloaded and deleted about 6 different converter programs...and only this one appears to work converting audacity files.

If anyone else needs it, it's the Free CD Music Converter by poikosoft. I found it on Cnet.

Eric