Words that don't mean anything...

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
emmline
antispam: No

Post by emmline »

hyldemoer wrote:BTW, words that don't mean anything? What about prices that really don't mean a thing.
Excuse me, when I see a price for a house cleverly (?) listed as $399,000.00 my mind interprets the price as $400,000.00. I can't believe realitors think I'm the exception to the rule and the rest of America is so stupid not to see through them.
But see, then they can put up a big sign that says "Crowne Pointe, exclusive executive townhomes, from the 300's."
(with new and improved financing available to qualified buyers. See a sales counselor for details.)
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: words that dont mean..

Post by mutepointe »

trill wrote:One of my favorites is the Anglican "e".

For example:

A home in the Crown Point subdivision = $100k.

A home in the Crowne Pointe subdivision = $120k.

(as explained by a real-estate professional)

trill
Hey Hey Hey, moderator please. I am being made fun of.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
emmline

Post by emmline »

mutepointe wrote:

For example:

trill
That's ok mute. We'll pronounce it mutpoint if you want us to.
For what it's worth, I live in "Olde Severna Park."(and someone dreamed that up in the 40's.)
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

emmline wrote:
mutepointe wrote:

For example:

trill
That's ok mute. We'll pronounce it mutpoint if you want us to.
For what it's worth, I live in "Olde Severna Park."(and someone dreamed that up in the 40's.)
Truth be told, Mute, what with that E at the end of yer moniker, it looks sort of French, and I always want to pronounce it "mewt-pwahnt". Don't blame me.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

My name has the ability to annoy all kinds of folks. Another one of my real-life super powers.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

Ronbo wrote:
Redwolf wrote:One of my favorites is "wheat bread." They're trying to give the impression that the bread is made of unrefined whole wheat flour (which it's not, unless the word "whole" is in the title...your typical "wheat" bread is simply white bread with some caramel coloring added to make it look healthy), but it must work...apparently because a lot of buyers don't stop to think that every single loaf of bread on that supermarket shelf, be it white, brown, pumpernickel, etc., is made of wheat!

Redwolf
Just like the people who buy Sugar in the Raw. It ain't nothin but plain sugar with some of the molasses put back in it, in extremely tiny amounts.
Yup-- take the molasses out, then put it back and charge you more for it when they could simply have left it there in the first place.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

brewerpaul wrote:
Ronbo wrote:
Redwolf wrote:One of my favorites is "wheat bread." They're trying to give the impression that the bread is made of unrefined whole wheat flour (which it's not, unless the word "whole" is in the title...your typical "wheat" bread is simply white bread with some caramel coloring added to make it look healthy), but it must work...apparently because a lot of buyers don't stop to think that every single loaf of bread on that supermarket shelf, be it white, brown, pumpernickel, etc., is made of wheat!

Redwolf
Just like the people who buy Sugar in the Raw. It ain't nothin but plain sugar with some of the molasses put back in it, in extremely tiny amounts.
Yup-- take the molasses out, then put it back and charge you more for it when they could simply have left it there in the first place.
I beg to differ. Sugar In The Raw is turbinado sugar, and turbinado sugar is only somewhat refined, so what molasses is there is what remains, not what is added. In the case of brown sugar, that can either be unrefined, or refined with molasses added. Ya pays yer money and ya takes yer chances.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

hyldemoer wrote:BTW, words that don't mean anything? What about prices that really don't mean a thing.
Excuse me, when I see a price for a house cleverly (?) listed as $399,000.00 my mind interprets the price as $400,000.00. I can't believe realitors think I'm the exception to the rule and the rest of America is so stupid not to see through them.

You'll be glad to know you can buy a new Suzuki in my town, Birmingham, Alabama, for

$0 DOWN! $99 A MONTH!!

What could possibly go wrong with a deal like that?

Let's freeze the frame and look at the fine print of the TV ad.

"Payments 1-3 $99. Payments 4-60 $399."

I also like the $99/month ads where the fine print says:

"$6,999 due at signing."
Charlene

Post by Charlene »

In the 1980's when the Bell system was broken up, the phone company was regulated by the "Modified Final Judgement."

I heard the phrase so many times at work I didn't even think about it, until I started talking about the "MFJ" at home and my husband said, "Now, wait a minute. If something is FINAL, how can it be MODIFIED?"

And how about all the funeral announcements that say "passed on" "entered into peace" "went home to be with the lord" - there's one in today's paper that says "crossed the river." They're dead folks.
D-E-A-D. Period. (Although I do kind of like Rush Limbaugh's phrase "assumed room temperature.")

Prices are silly. $3.99 really means $4. My husband goes ballistic on the gas prices - $3.09.9 - it's really $3.10, why not SAY it?
Charlene
SteveShaw
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

Supermarket products that are "specially selected." What's the opposite of that? Fell randomly out of a passing spaceship into the packs on the shelf?

If you have a cup of tea in the café on a Britanny Ferries ship you get a nasty little teabag with a long string and a cardboard tag that says on it "genuine leaf tea." Well, I suppose you could make false tea from rabbit droppings...

And if you ever use the word "albeit," I f*rt in your general direction. Or alright, irregardless or "a phenomena." Grr! Were not doing apostrophe's in this thread by any chance, are we?
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
pipersgrip

Post by pipersgrip »

I hate when people ask a question like: "Did you not break the vase"? I am like, yes, I mean no, hold on, I mean yes, I dont know.
CHasR

Post by CHasR »

Words that dont mean anything:

howzabout:

"Do not fold, bend, spindle or mutilate"

"Priority Mail"

"Yield"

"No Turn On Red"

"Speed Limit: 65"

"Employees Must Wash Hands Before Leaving Restroom"
Sandy McLeod

Post by Sandy McLeod »

For example:

trill
I live in Huntington Harbour. Its a man made harbor, on a flood plain, in southern California.

(I must like it though as I am an original owner of a townhome I bought in 1976.) :wink:

Sandy
Leap into the boundless and make it your home.
Zhuang-zi
Ronbo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Ronbo »

Nanohedron wrote:
brewerpaul wrote:
Ronbo wrote: Just like the people who buy Sugar in the Raw. It ain't nothin but plain sugar with some of the molasses put back in it, in extremely tiny amounts.
I beg to differ. Sugar In The Raw is turbinado sugar, and turbinado sugar is only somewhat refined, so what molasses is there is what remains, not what is added. In the case of brown sugar, that can either be unrefined, or refined with molasses added. Ya pays yer money and ya takes yer chances.
Nano, ever been inside a sugar mill? Tubinado is another one of them there meaningless words. Sugar is sugar is sugar, and your body can't tell one from another.
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

Nano-- I had forgotten about turbinado...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turbinado
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!