Best piping album - EVER ?

The Wonderful World of ... Other Bagpipes. All the surly with none of the regs!
unregulated

Best piping album - EVER ?

Post by unregulated »

hi all
just getting a chance to listen to Allan MacDonald’s CD Dastirum.
I have to tell you that this is one of the finest CD’s of any genre both the recordings the accompanying booklet and the artwork.
http://www.siubhal.com/

can be bought here with some samples
http://www.musicscotland.com/acatalog/M ... d_107.html

great stuff it is to for anyone who likes piping but not for the faint hearted!.
my daughter and I caught him (and friends) last week as part of Celtic Connections in nearby Glasgow and it was good to see him enjoying the company of other fine musicians on stage.
yours un.
scoutcow
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by scoutcow »

We have loads of bagpipe CD's here (also a lot of LP's) but I bought 3 CD's myself.
Stuart Cassells - Blown Away and both Red Hot Chilli Pipers CD's.
I like all 3, but the last one from RHCP (Bagrock to the masses) is the best one IMO.
I like them because I play bagpipe and whistles in a rockband too.
Björn
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Björn »

The two best solo piping recordings, that I've heard, are Gordon Walker: Pipers of Distinction and Dr. Angus MacDonald: A' Sireadh Spors.
Last edited by Björn on Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
pancelticpiper
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

Highland pipes: A second for Dr Angus MacDonald's A' Sireadh Spors. Dr MacDonald is a native Gaelic speaker and every phrase is dripping with the genuine blas of the pipes.
My second favourite is Alasdair Gilles' CD.
I had the privilege of hearing Gordon Walker last August in Glasgow twice, and Alasidair Gilles and other top players at Todd's Bar. (There's some video on ScotlandonTV of this "Lord of the Todd" event, and you can see me half-dozing on the ground wearing my LA Galaxy shirt.)
Uilleann pipes: Perhaps those two old c1970 Finbar Furey albums. I'm amazed when I meet Irish people who know Finbar as a singer who aren't even aware that he plays the pipes!
Other pipes: I just love Musiques d'Auvergne Cafe Charbons.
And Gaida Orchestra: Bagpipe Music From The Rhodope Mountains.
The Sporting Pitchfork
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by The Sporting Pitchfork »

I think that unregulated is implying that Allan MacDonald's new all-ceòl mór album "Dastirum" is the best piping album ever, and I think he very well might be right. Allan (Dr. Angus's younger brother) has been researching ceòl mór for well over a decade and I think he's really starting to get to a place with it that's much closer to its originally intended musical character than anything you'll ever hear on a competition platform. It's a serious mindblower of an album if you're into drone music.

A' Sireadh Spors is also a very good album, though. I don't think I've ever heard pipes that sound as cleanly articulated (for lack of a better expression) as Dr. Angus does on his pipes here. Pure class.

I heard something a while back that the BBC had done a short documentary about Angus, Allan, and Iain MacDonald, but I never heard whether it was radio or TV, or whether it was archived anywhere online. Does anyone else out there know anything about it?
Ian Lawther
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Re: Best piping album - EVER ?

Post by Ian Lawther »

unregulated wrote:hi all
just getting a chance to listen to Allan MacDonald’s CD Dastirum.
I have to tell you that this is one of the finest CD’s of any genre both the recordings the accompanying booklet and the artwork.
http://www.siubhal.com/

can be bought here with some samples
http://www.musicscotland.com/acatalog/M ... d_107.html
those in the States can also get it at www.bagpipediscs.com (as well as the Gordon Walker PoD and Dr. Angus MacDonald mentioned in this thread).

Ian
singforsam

Post by singforsam »

I must agree Gordon Walker: Pipers of Distinction and Dr. Angus MacDonald: A' Sireadh Spors are really great albums.

-Sam
chanterdan

Post by chanterdan »

Partners n Crime, Jarlath,and Ross,give a listen.Modern piping at its best!
AaronMalcomb

Post by AaronMalcomb »

I had "Partners in Crime" in the stereo for about 2 weeks straight. My only complaint is that it is too short. It was worth the wait though.

I'm another Dr. Angus acolyte. The influence of A' Sireadh Spòrs is still felt in folk bands and pipe bands and there are still ripples of Dr. Angus' time spent in North America.

The Piper & The Maker is another contemporary classic.