A Deterrent To Home Invasions

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Cork
antispam: No

Post by Cork »

When it comes to firearms, strange things can happen.

For instance, maybe you've heard of hunting "accidents", where somebody gets shot because a hunter mistook them for the game they were looking for. Yeah, unfortunately that sort of thing does happen, year after year. Just how a hunter could mistake a human for, say, a deer is something of a mystery, but it happens often enough that it simply must be considered a reality.

On the same line of thought, could a family member somehow be mistaken for a burglar?

You can see where this is going. That is, in a moment calling for a split second decision, could there be room to make a disastrous mistake?

Yeah, it seems that those kinds of mistakes happen, too.
peeplj
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by peeplj »

Cork wrote:When it comes to firearms, strange things can happen.

For instance, maybe you've heard of hunting "accidents", where somebody gets shot because a hunter mistook them for the game they were looking for. Yeah, unfortunately that sort of thing does happen, year after year. Just how a hunter could mistake a human for, say, a deer is something of a mystery, but it happens often enough that it simply must be considered a reality.

On the same line of thought, could a family member somehow be mistaken for a burglar?

You can see where this is going. That is, in a moment calling for a split second decision, could there be room to make a disastrous mistake?

This is very true.

It is why is it vitally important that, if you are going to have a gun, you take training classes from a professional instructor, and practice with the weapon frequently, so that the rules of safety, and the safe handling and firing of the gun become something automatic, that you do without having to think about it.

Many of the tragic mistakes you are referring to happen when someone is freaked out and is paying more attention to the gun in their hand than they are to what they are pointing it at.

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

Cork wrote:When it comes to firearms, strange things can happen.

Yup, my husband was once the noise that prompted his dad to be aiming a gun at what turned out to be a small child. Luckily it didn't turn out to be anything more than a constipation curing moment, but it could have been the ultimate disaster.
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
missy

Post by missy »

Dachshund - remember they live a LONG time. We had one that lived 18 years, which was 17 too many. Hildie was deaf, almost blind, and had no teeth by the time she died. But she still barked! and barked and barked and barked.......

Gun accidents - there are very few gun "accidents". There are quite a lot of people not using guns correctly.

I'd repeat the "rules" but someone on here had a fit the last time when I brought them up again, saying I had already made my point.
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
dwest

Post by dwest »

:boggle:
Last edited by dwest on Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jack

Post by Jack »

Cork wrote:For instance, maybe you've heard of hunting "accidents", where somebody gets shot because a hunter mistook them for the game they were looking for. Yeah, unfortunately that sort of thing does happen, year after year. Just how a hunter could mistake a human for, say, a deer is something of a mystery, but it happens often enough that it simply must be considered a reality.
Camoflauge.
dwest

Post by dwest »

Last edited by dwest on Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
doogieman

Post by doogieman »

I feel safe with a High G Susato to use as my defence.
2 Blessed 2B Stressed
Jayhawk
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

FWIW - I was just thinking of one thing - a gun is in no way whatsoever a deterent to a home invasion...it's a responsive tool to an event that is already happening.

Good outside motion lights, barking dogs and things like that are a deterent.

Personally, I think you're more likely to keep you and your family safe by detering burglars rather than having to respond to them when they're already in your house.

Eric
Doug_Tipple
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

doogieman wrote:I feel safe with a High G Susato to use as my defence.
Speaking from experience, the high G Susato whistle does not have as much knock-out power as a low D pvc flute. No Sir, there is no way that I would go after an intruder with a plastic Susato whistle.
buddhu

Post by buddhu »

We're not supposed to offer medical or psychiatric advice here.

Strikes me that advice on the safest way to react to a possibly armed invader is similarly best disseminated by professionals - in this case law enforcement professionals who know your neighbourhood.

The only suggestion I am 100% happy with here is the armed dog one. Terriers with Uzis - that'll show da suckers.
And whether the blood be highland, lowland or no.
And whether the skin be black or white as the snow.
Of kith and of kin we are one, be it right, be it wrong.
As long as our hearts beat true to the lilt of a song.
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

buddhu wrote:We're not supposed to offer medical or psychiatric advice here.

Strikes me that advice on the safest way to react to a possibly armed invader is similarly best disseminated by professionals - in this case law enforcement professionals who know your neighbourhood.
This is a good point, and back to your original post, if your local law enforcement officers are strongly recommending that your wife consider owning a gun, they may well have good reasons to make that recommendation.

Just please be sure that if you do purchase a firearm, that you both seek training from a competent professional in its safe handling and use. The same law enforcement officers may well be able to recommend someone to you to help with this.

Good luck and best wishes always, no matter what you decide.

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
dwest

Post by dwest »

Last edited by dwest on Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
buddhu

Post by buddhu »

dwest wrote:
buddhu wrote: The only suggestion I am 100% happy with here is the armed dog one. Terriers with Uzis - that'll show da suckers.
I think this is irresponsible. Terriers want to "kill them all" and Uzis don't have enough knock down power. :D
Be practical, man. No way can a Jack Russell wield a piece much larger than a mini-Uzi or one of the Ingrams... a Mac-10 or 11. They don't have the body mass to cope with the recoil from a Desert Eagle and an assault rifle is way to long - they'd tip over.
And whether the blood be highland, lowland or no.
And whether the skin be black or white as the snow.
Of kith and of kin we are one, be it right, be it wrong.
As long as our hearts beat true to the lilt of a song.
Ronbo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Ronbo »

My terrier is just the point man. The Rottweiler is the one packing the shotgun.