What brand of whistle is this?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
emtor

What brand of whistle is this?

Post by emtor »

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=av2bKHgY ... KHgYurU</a>

-Looks like a Feadóg but I'm not sure . . . any ideas?
Steamwalker
antispam: No

Post by Steamwalker »

Looks like a Vargas whistle.
emtor

Post by emtor »

I'm very sure I haven't made any whistle for Breda Smyth which is the performer in the video, although is both looks and sounds like one of mine.
The fipple looks very glossy, and it also appears to be of the current Feadóg-design, but to my knowledge these fipples come in green,-not black.
-Are the current fipples also available in black too?
preacher
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am in my 70s and played music since fourth grade. Paid gigs include everything starting with church solos in 4th grade, nightclubs starting 9th grade, and worship ministry. Had a 29 year career teaching high school music both choral and instrumental. I've played several instruments starting with trumpet as my main ax. I added flute, sax and keys after college. Early 2000s whistles were added to my arsenal. I'm back to playing again after a 5 year hiatus.

Post by preacher »

This looks a bit like a brass Humphrey I have. Mine is in B but the fipple looks pretty close. Anyone else with a Humphrey out there?
Steamwalker

Post by Steamwalker »

Humphrey would've been my second guess, or Reyburn or Dixon trad but the mouthpiece looks different than those. It really looks like a Clare whistle, although I haven't seen a brass one with the black mouthpiece.
Boody
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Boody »

emtor wrote: The fipple looks very glossy, and it also appears to be of the current Feadóg-design, but to my knowledge these fipples come in green,-not black.
-Are the current fipples also available in black too?
I looked at the Feadog website, and it appears that they are selling feadogs in a couple of tube colors, and it looks like the fipple on the black one and maybe some of the others is black.
Heres a picture of the black one
http://www.muzmag.ru/images/wfdgnickel.jpg
so it could be the fipple of a black one on a different tube.
Steamwalker

Post by Steamwalker »

I'll have to look at the mouthpiece in the video again but Generation, Feadog and Clare all make black mouthpieces, so the whistle in the video could be a frankenstein whistle.
pipersgrip

Post by pipersgrip »

Oak? great playing
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

Looks like the Feadog head that comes with the nickel body - standard and "Pro".

The body is brass - probably also feadog - but could be anything. The clarity of the G indicates that the head is either worked-on, or is a particularly good "off-the-shelf" head.

Brilliant playing, of course.
All the best!

mitch
http://www.ozwhistles.com
boomerang

Post by boomerang »

Good is not the word.
She is awesome,
WOW
David
Never argue with an idiot, they will bring you down to their level then beat you with experience!!
emtor

Post by emtor »

What strikes me the most is the glossy appearance of the fipple. I only have experience with the green Feadòg fipples, and they're not this glossy.
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

emtor wrote:What strikes me the most is the glossy appearance of the fipple. I only have experience with the green Feadòg fipples, and they're not this glossy.
So ... how glossy are yours? ;)
All the best!

mitch
http://www.ozwhistles.com
Aanvil

Post by Aanvil »

Mitch wrote:
emtor wrote:What strikes me the most is the glossy appearance of the fipple. I only have experience with the green Feadòg fipples, and they're not this glossy.
So ... how glossy are yours? ;)

Personally I try to get my fipple glossed as often as possible.
Aanvil

-------------------------------------------------

I am not an expert
pao

she's using an acorn whistle

Post by pao »

Breda Smyth, on the video, is using a natural brass <a href="http://photos.friendster.com/photos/80/ ... "><b>ACORN whistle</b></a> that is semi tarnished and the label sticker removed.
Acorns have the same mouthpiece used in oaks so if you see that familiar gloss, that would be it. :D
落とされた天使
Steamwalker

Post by Steamwalker »

I was more attracted to the glossiness of her pants.