Any Mentors Willing To Help?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
bowjest
antispam: No

Any Mentors Willing To Help?

Post by bowjest »

I hope this isn't too general of a request, but as I'm a beginner, I'd like to build good habits and technique from the start and not have to unlearn things later.

To that end, I've set myself a few tunes to learn and would appreciate feedback from more experienced and knowledgeable players on how to realize them.

The tune I'm currently working on it called Morrison's Jig and I got it here:

http://irishflute.podbean.com/

If anyone would be willing to listen to a few tunes and then entertain a few questions (it would just be a few questions as I've got a good ear and am a confident beginner) it would be a great help.

Thanks in advance.
mahanpots
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mahanpots »

What did you have in mind
Bowjest? Can you post a clip? Or did you have something else in mind?

Sincerely,

Michael
Olwell Pratten.
Paddy Cronin's Jig
Limestone Rock, Silver Spear
Blasting, billowing, bursting forth with the power of 10 billion butterfly sneezes
jemtheflute
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by jemtheflute »

Hi Bowjest. I think that what you are requesting/suggesting is pretty much served on this particular forum by the "Posting Clips" Sticky thread - check it out if you haven't done so. Of course, it can be a bit "blind leading the blind" at times. There's no guarantee your auditors and commentators will be significantly more advanced than you, though that is not to say they/we cannot make insightful analyses and suggestions based on our own struggles! It can also be a bit heavy going at times! All in all, I think those of us who participate there find it useful and constructive. Who is active there varies over time. I do think that is where you should go.

I do not think you will get much response if your request is effectively for online tuition as such - the more advanced forum participants either don't want to do that kind of thing (online or in the flesh) or they quite rightly expect to be paid for it - viz Harry Bradley's online tuition scheme. [I teach "in the flesh" and charge M.U. rates (£25.40 per hour)! I'm too far away from you, though.] I participate and contribute here partly for fun/interest, partly for self-improvement, including on the clips thread - and constantly learn both from what others contribute and from having to put my own knowledge, thoughts and experiences into coherent form to present to others.

I also think you will (especially if you are as confident as you say) perhaps serve yourself best by getting some face to face tuition if you can locally and also by getting out to your local sessions - there are certainly some in Bristol if not closer to you. Use online search facilities (like The Session) to try to find out what goes on in your area if you don't already know. Folk Clubs may also be handy - networking connections, and doing "floor spots" is a good way to build your performance skills and give yourself specific targets to aim for.

Another good way of both getting feedback and giving impetus to your learning is to find regular collaborators on other instruments (if you can) to practise with, maybe work towards being a band. Getting up arrangements for those folk club floor spots is a great way to grow. If some of them are a bit more musically advanced than you but willing to tolerate your best efforts, that will draw you onward. I was lucky to have such an experience/context in my early years in folk music.

BTW, is your screen-name/handle arch(ery) humour?
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
scheky

Post by scheky »

I'm thinking along the lines of Beau Jest, a comedic play. I think Marty Feldman in "The Last Remake of Beau Jest" did a wonderful performance.
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

scheky wrote:I'm thinking along the lines of Beau Jest, a comedic play. I think Marty Feldman in "The Last Remake of Beau Jest" did a wonderful performance.
Yeah, obviously! It's a reference to the Beau Geste French Foreign Legion stories/films of which the Marty Feldman (those eyes!) one was a spoof..... Didn't need commenting on - it was the punning (is it?) spelling I was wondering about, with my own semi-pun tagged in.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
bowjest

Post by bowjest »

Thanks for your input, guys. I appreciate it.

Mahanpots, my idea was really just for a "mentor" to listen to a couple of tunes that I'm trying to learn and then hopefully confirm my playing of it.

Or more to the point, something like "the beginning of measure 3 sounds like a cran (or whatever), is that right"?

That sort of thing.

I think a clip with feedback from various and sundry wouldn't help me at this stage as I wouldn't have a consistent voice to trust. And there would probably be no end of squabbling over any advice given.

Jem, I fully appreciate what you're saying. I used to teach bass (I'm a double bass and electric player by "trade"), so I know that teachers need to make a living. But I was looking more for a nudge in the right direction rather than lessons as such.

My experience from fiddle lessons (and my own teaching) tends to be more a case of what the teacher feels you "absolutely need to learn to succeed" than what I want to learn and develop because of my experience in music.

I hope that doesn't sound arrogant. It's not meant to be. It's just that I'm 41 and have been playing music on some contraption or other since I was about 8, so have a good ear and know where I want to go with my playing in a lot of respects, so formal lessons wouldn't suit me at the moment (maybe later when I'm really trying to tweak nuance and style).

And it's a fiddle reference that I derive my handle from (and a love of the movie Beau Geste).

:D

Any takers?

Thanks!
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

If you also play whistle, you could try posting whistle clips on WhistleThis.com. The raison d'être there is similar to what you describe - getting feedback, asking questions about technique, etc. With the caveat that Jem mentioned of mixed expertise among the commentators. You're limited to the "official" tunes, but they may overlap with the ones you are learning anyway. For example, Morrison's Jig is one of them. Cheers!
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Thanks for the clarification, Bowjest (on handle and musical matters) - I get where you are coming from better now and had obviously made some wrong assumptions (story of my life!). Fair enough. I still think the Clips Sticky would be as good a place as any to post your queries with relevant sound samples - you could always make it clear in your post text exactly what you are asking for advice upon and that you're not seeking general critiques. Your alternative here on C&F would be to start a new thread with each specific query, just as many folk in fact do - just with your clip as part of your request. You may get a better response that way as I think quite a lot of members pointedly ignore the Clips Sticky (because of its former associations), although some sort of consideration is virtually guaranteed there. I still think that asking for specific "mentoring" is going a bit far towards formal teaching. Just stick 'em up and see what you get - I'll almost certainly chip in (if you can bear that), but keep it casual.
Last edited by jemtheflute on Sat Feb 02, 2008 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Eldarion

Post by Eldarion »

I don't think your post asking for a mentor is a very effective way of doing things firstly because it is difficult to gauge the competency of another person on the internet, especially when you've not met the person or heard his/her playing. How are you going to tell if the person offering is that consistant voice you're looking for and not one of the "various and sundry"?

Secondly people who are competent enough to mentor others would seldom nominate themselves. One of the reasons may be that some people perceive it as being an immodest thing to do. Another more important reason is that volunteering oneself to mentor a total stranger is a thankless job, moreso with the range of "characters" you find on the internet. In that light, why would you imagine that they would be the ones approaching you, trying to prove that they're worth their salt, just because you asked on an internet forum?

What you should be doing is make up your mind on whose advice you want. You can do that by screening through peoples' posts, checking out clips of their playing, using a divining rod, whatever. Then you approach the person privately, and politely, ask if he/she could spare some time to give some feedback on your playing. Then let them decide if they want to bother with you.
Last edited by Eldarion on Apr 23, 2012 18:14; edited 100 times in total
mahanpots

Post by mahanpots »

Bowjest, et. al.,

you mentioned
I think a clip with feedback from various and sundry wouldn't help me at this stage as I wouldn't have a consistent voice to trust. And there would probably be no end of squabbling over any advice given.
You can always click on the advice-giver's profile (at the bottom of the post) and then click on "Find all posts by _______". Then you can check out their credentials, attitudes, etc. You might even find where they posted a clip (sometimes people have a clip at the end of each post, which you can set up in your "Profile.")

I think if everyone posted a clip and put at the end of their posts... I can't remember what you call that... it would be great. I also think, this is a great way of sharing music, not just talent.

Michael
Olwell Pratten.
Paddy Cronin's Jig
Blasting, billowing, bursting forth with the power of 10 billion butterfly sneezes
Denny

Post by Denny »

signature line
mahanpots

Post by mahanpots »

Signature line, yes. Thanks Denny.
Olwell Pratten.
Paddy Cronin's Jig
Denny

Post by Denny »

....always good with the easy ones :D
johnkerr

Post by johnkerr »

Denny wrote:signature line
Yes, signature line. As in What?!? Him again? And has he no other tunes but those?

But I guess it's at least a first small step down the road toward When's the CD coming out, lad?, isn't it? For most of us, myself included, it's likely a very small step down an extremely long road toward a destination that will never be reached (to the dismay of skeet shooters worldwide), but it's a good step to be taking I think if you're one to prattle on here about flute playing, as I often do.
bowjest

Post by bowjest »

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to give me your comments.

I'll give recording me playing at least part of a tune and see what feedback I get from you all.

Once I get a couple of tunes under my belt I want to go to a few sessions and see what happens.

Hopefully have something up soon. I just seem to completely lose it if anyone is listening to me, so reckon recording anything would pretty much be the same. :D

Thanks again.

Will