And now a confession about mathematics.

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Dale
The Landlord
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

And now a confession about mathematics.

Post by Dale »

I wish I knew more about mathematics. I mean, I'm not feeling a need to sit around doing algebra, but I'd really like to understand at least conceptually what people do in higher mathematics. I think I understand that there's something deeply mysterious about the fact there are mathematical systems that describe the physical world, but I don't really even understand that.

There's a book called "A Tour of the Calculus" that tries to explain calculus with a minimum of formulae, and I've been able to read the first half three times! Then I hit a wall and it's beyond either my powers of concentration, or intelligence, or, very likely, both.

That is all.
BillChin

Post by BillChin »

MIT has open audio and video for some of their courses. Here is a list of their most popular ones:

http://ocw.mit.edu/OcwWeb/web/courses/visits/index.htm

Many of the math courses will likely make a person's head hurt if introductory calculus is beyond their ken. It is MIT after all, and many of the courses require Calc I and II, many times Calc I thru IV as prerequisites.

In my opinion, math, like physics is overrated as far as interestingness. The nitty-gritty of solving complex equations, constructing proofs is difficult work, and a person has to really have a talent and want to do it, and get their hands dirty so to speak. The "math gene" seems rare, and for that reason, for most it is not worth the effort.

I was good at math, at least up to Calculus I and II. However, like many students that test well at various levels, for much of it, I learned enough to do well on the tests, but don't really absorb the material (starting on Trig and on up). Those that actually absorb the material and understand it, are like one-in-a-thousand at the advanced levels.
Jack

Post by Jack »

Dale, it probably is over your head. It's over mine, too. For a lot of people, mathematics and especially higher mathematics is simply inaccessible.
emmline
antispam: No

Post by emmline »

I consider myself slightly dysnumeric. I don't know if that's a real word, but it means my numerical abilities are sub-par in the same way a dyslexic isn't quite up to snuff in reading. I can do it, and got through Algebra II and the basic college math requirements, but I perform calculations in a very clunky, most inelegant way. I sort of think of myself as a mechanical adding machine to the good mathematician's electronic calculator brain.

I love how something like an apple can be described as an equation, but I utterly can't comprehend it.
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

If it's any consulation to you, I think many of those math geniuses and other genius don't comprehend the things that we think are easy. Look at how many intelligent people can't and won't play a flute.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

mutepointe wrote:If it's any consulation to you, I think many of those math geniuses and other genius don't comprehend the things that we think are easy. Look at how many intelligent people can't and won't play a flute.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ouch.

Snert.

:wink:

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
Jack

Post by Jack »

Em: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyscalculia

Simone Weil was a Catholic(ish) writer who tackled advanced mathematics in a way I have never understood. Her brother Andre was a famous mathematician.
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

I think calculus the single most beautiful, most useful, most mind-expanding subject in the entire universe. Single-variable calculus is not that complicated. There's a lot of excess baggage that is often taught with it, apparently included to make it seem harder than it is.

Calculus is really just an efficient way to describe how things change. If you know the quantity at different times, you take the derivative. If you know how something is changing, you integrate to find out how much there is.

There's plenty of other, weirder, higher mathematics. I wish it was taught differently in math departments. I had to take physics to learn to use any of it.
Last edited by chas on Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Jack

Post by Jack »

I have a friend who is studying physics and theology. Whenever I hear him speak about either of them, I am usually silent because I find myself simply amazed.
HDSarah

Post by HDSarah »

I always did well in math throughout K-12 schooling, but especially in high school I found it dull. I think that's because I was never challenged -- the poor teachers were trying so desparately to help the floundering that those few of us for whom it was easy weren't pushed. I really enjoyed calculus in college, and ended up taking a lot more math than you'd expect when you hear I majored in philosophy. I didn't develop a real love for math until my senior year as an undergraduate, when I took a non-Euclidean geometry class. Wow! :D Math IS philosophy!

After getting my B.A. in philosophy I went on to an M.S. in mathematics. (Yes, I skipped the bachelor's degree in math.) I think most mathematicians would agree with me when I say that mathematics is all about truth and beauty. "Elegance" is highly valued in mathematics -- we all love an elegant proof. There are elegant solutions at much lower levels, too: I coach a 6th grade MathCounts team, and a few of my 6th grade "mathletes" come up with some lovely solutions to problems. As for truth, well, mathematics allows one to explore deeply the truths that follow from a very simple set of assumptions, and even to change those assumptions and explore how the truths change. Finally, there is the astonishing USEFULNESS of mathematics -- here it seems that we've made up all of these amazing mathematical structures, only to find that they can be used to describe our universe. (Some pure mathematicians shudder at application as somewhat dirty, but I think it's pretty cool. A decade after the M.S. in math, I did an M.S. in civil engineering.)

Dale, I admire you for trying with the calculus book, and I hope you get through it. :) And if you don't, you can console yourself with this thought: Music is mathematics that we experience directly, without all the struggle of processing through the usual brain channels. When you're hearing the beauty of music, you're hearing the beauty of mathematics. And when you're playing a whistle, you can say you're doing applied mathematics. :wink:
ICE JAM: "dam" good music that won't leave you cold. Check out our CD at http://cdbaby.com/cd/icejam
emmline

Post by emmline »

Thanks. I guess I'm not that bad after all.

I bought a book a few years ago with the intent of teaching myself calc.
The lack of fluidity between that subject and my brain caused me to switch to other reading material.

I've read a bunch of books on quantum theory, and I love it conceptually, but I just sort of skim past the multilayered formulae.
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

We've all heard that math is the language of science. I have no problem with that. What kills me is how someone like Einstein comes up with an idea like how time dilates with velocity or recent stuff about 'quantum entanglement.' I mean crazy stuff that doesn't just pop into one's head because it's logical. So you go back and prove the concept with math, but how do you come up with the idea to begin with? I keep meaning to look into this.
Tony
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
falkbeer

Re: And now a confession about mathematics.

Post by falkbeer »

Dale wrote:I wish I knew more about mathematics. I mean, I'm not feeling a need to sit around doing algebra, but I'd really like to understand at least conceptually what people do in higher mathematics. I think I understand that there's something deeply mysterious about the fact there are mathematical systems that describe the physical world, but I don't really even understand that.

There's a book called "A Tour of the Calculus" that tries to explain calculus with a minimum of formulae, and I've been able to read the first half three times! Then I hit a wall and it's beyond either my powers of concentration, or intelligence, or, very likely, both.

That is all.
Math has a lot in common with music, arts, playing chess or learning a language - it´s a skill and you´ll have to practice it every day! One can´t just read a book and then think one understands math. One has to practise it, much in the same way as practicing the violin. When one practices a skill it leads to questions, you can check up the answer in a textbook, or ask an expert, or try very hard to solve the problem yourself. But new questions will always arise!
The very best way to learn math, music, arts, chess or a language is to practice it! A famous writer (can´t remember who) was once asked which is the best way to learn how to write a book? Write a book! was his answer - write, write write! Instead of reading the same book three times I suggest you start with a problem and try solving it. If it doesn´t work read the part pertaining that particular problem in your texbook and then go back to your problem.
The future is bright - let´s buy shades!
http://www.sibeliusmusic.com/cgi-bin/wh ... usclassics
WyoBadger
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: "Tell us something" hits me a bit like someone asking me to tell a joke. I can always think of a hundred of them until someone asks me for one. You know how it is. Right now, I can't think of "something" to tell you. But I have to use at least 100 characters to inform you of that.

Post by WyoBadger »

Cranberry wrote:I have a friend who is studying physics and theology. Whenever I hear him speak about either of them, I am usually silent because I find myself simply amazed.
Well said, Cran. Mrs. Badger is currently occupied in a master's program in math. Trying to teach herself non-Euclidean geometry, that sort of thing. She will get all excited at some discovery and want to explain it to me. I hardly ever understand her explanations, lacking as I do the required background knowledge. But she can love the beauty of it, and I can get brief glimpses of it through her. It's moments like that when I realize how beautiful it is that we're so different.

The situation reverses when I get all excited about the harmonic structure of a Beethoven sonata, say, and try to explain to her why it is so amazing.

The difference is, she's much better at music than I am at math.

:)

Tom
Fall down six times. Stand up seven.