Calum Stewart - Scotland

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
bogtrumpet
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Calum Stewart - Scotland

Post by bogtrumpet »

Calum Stewart has just released a flute CD. It's so nice to hear the wooden/simple system flute playing Scotish Music. It's especially well recorded and played on his Holmes McNaughton flute. I think you can preview tracks on his website also see;

www.holmesmcnaughton.com
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Computer idiocy at work. Sorry!
Last edited by jim stone on Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
brotherwind

Post by brotherwind »

jim stone wrote:https://mail2.uno.edu/exchange/jxspl/In ... G?attach=1

https://mail2.uno.edu/exchange/jxspl/In ... G?attach=1

Don't know if these will work. Pictures of Calum S's flute
sent me by Norman Holmes, the maker.
The links do not work, as one is required to login. They are in your email-box, Jim.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Well, the flute is a lovely looking Rudall 8 key, blackwood,
silver, much like an old Rudall.

The link worked when I put it up, you see. I clicked on it
from here. I guess I was still logged into my
e mail account. I long for the old days at Hogwarts,
when we sent pictures by owls.
Jayhawk
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

Those are truly beautiful looking flutes...

Why isn't there an emoticon for drool?

Eric
Gostrangely

Post by Gostrangely »

D you have a link for the CD, I'm having no luck with google.
Denny

Post by Denny »

there was a link on his myspace page
http://www.calumstewart.com/
LorenzoFlute

Post by LorenzoFlute »

gostrangely you can hear sound samples on the jim's link...
i'm really amazed by the tune called tullochgorum, it sounds really scottish and hell that guy can REALLY play the flute! it's interesting how he mostly uses blow ornamentations instead of fingers ornamentations (hmm bad english?)... didn't like much the piano accompaniment on the other tunes, i usually prefer the flute-harp combo for slow pieces...
flutey1
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by flutey1 »

I can't find the cd being sold anywhere :( his website just has a picture of the cover... maybe it was just being sold at celtic connections this month and has yet to make it online... sad to have to wait more. his playing's fantastic.
kenny
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by kenny »

Calum was playing in Glasgow on Saturday, and I just missed him by a day. I think the CD was only released on the Saturday and I'll be looking out for it this weekend. I'm really looking forward to hearing it. The first ever solo wooden flute recording by a Scotsman playing Scottish traditional music, unless I'm very much mistaken.
If anyone else is around , I'm going down to see "Cran" with Desi Wilkinson on Friday night. Jean-Michel Veillon's in town , too. If that pair get the flutes out together..........
I'll probably be in the "Babbity Bowster's" session on Saturday afternoon if anyone wants a beer.
"There's fast music and there's lively music. People don't always know the difference"
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

kenny wrote:I'm going down to see "Cran" with Desi Wilkinson on Friday night. Jean-Michel Veillon's in town , too. If that pair get the flutes out together..........
I'll probably be in the "Babbity Bowster's" session on Saturday afternoon if anyone wants a beer.

Gnash, grunge, teeth-grind, curse, whinge, envy-envy-envy! Ha! I had to exercise great self control and NOT go down to Cardigan a couple of weeks back when Ceri Rhys Matthews was doing a thing with Desi (and tried to inveigle me to go with promises of a session afterwards with assorted people I'd love to have seen/played with......) - I was sorely tempted but had to work, plus it was too far and just didn't chime with other commitments and lack of finance. Now you tell us Desi and J-M V are going to be rubbing shoulders........ Why can't they do it somewhere in reach (for me) like Liverpuddle or Manckychester?

:( :cry: :x :sniffle: :swear:

Have a great time, Kenny! Jammy b******.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
Chris The Wakes

Post by Chris The Wakes »

kenny wrote:I'll probably be in the "Babbity Bowster's" session on Saturday afternoon if anyone wants a beer.
Al be there mate! Phil Hardy is coming along to the session as well! Cant stay for long as i have a gig later on and need to help shift the p.a.....but al be there for a light ale or 2!

Giging on friday night so wont make the cran gig but will be going to the festival club later on for some fun!!! :D
Mal

Calum Stewart

Post by Mal »

WOW!!

Tullochgorm blew me away. This is the tune that traditionally is played by a piper to accompany the Sword Dance, but Calum Stewart takes it to heights, and at a speed, that I never could have imagined.That he does it on a flute is IMHO, nothing short of incredible.

Alba gu bragh!
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Wow! I just made time to listen to Tullochgorum. Phew! What a player - all that high-grade double and triple tonguing etc. - incidentally made to sound utterly right in this music (mind you, Scots music has a very different feel and performing traditon than Irish - in both fiddle and pipes fields). What a great piece to play to any doubtful Boehm/Classical players who query the validity of playing the instruments we chose.

Does anyone know what flute Calum is playing? Can't see clearly from the pics on his mySpace page, but I think it's a Rudall style. has a great sound in his hands, whatever it is.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads