Alba Low D Review

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Loren
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

"After all its Often been Loren who gets these things started, I feel that he is always ready to poke fun at everyone maybe its somthing he needs to do, while hiding in the cupboard.
He is not a man of his word, this much has become clear to me.
So come on loren come out, Put up or shut up.(8

Stacey"

Yes, well, hurling a constant stream of insults at me is sure to improve the situation, right? The above post is but one of a half dozen or so I've left unanswered, until now.

So, before we go on, let's all be clear about a few FACTS:

1) I did not ask you to send me a whistle, this was your idea and, since you weren't insulting me at the time, I accepted your offer of a whistle.

2) I did not, at any point, say exactly how long it would take before I would post a review. The postmark on the whistle's shipping tube says October 29th, so by my calculations, I've had the whistle only about 3 weeks, hardly unreasonable I think. Especially considering that, as has been mentioned on the board several times, I'm in the process of packing and moving, something a little more important than reviewing your whistle, Stacey.

You started badgering and insulting me about this within two weeks of when I receieved the whistle. It often takes Dale MONTHS to get around to reviews, so I'm hard pressed to see what your problem is.

3) Your insults have been unprovoked, I have said NOTHING negative about you, or your whistles during the period I've had the review whistle.

4) I wanted to give you and your whistles a fair chance, that's why I accepted your offer in good faith, and that's one reason I was taking my time with the review - we all know first impressions about whistles can be misleading, and I posted a message saying that I wanted to take more time with the whistle.

5) It was always my intention to write an indepth and even handed review, with photos, etc. - much like Jessie did recently - however it's a time consuming process, and I would have expected you to understand. In truth, it probably would have been done and posted by now, if you hadn't been spewing insults and sarcasm my way for the last few weeks, your attacks hardly motivated me to speed up the process.

Well then, since you've shown so little patience with me, and since it's become clear to me, through other interactions around here, that it's not worth the effort to candy coat things or bite my lip at times, I'm not going to waste effort on writing a Politically Correct review of your whistle, I'll just give it to you raw, the same way you've treated me Stacey, so here it is:

Your whistles still suck.

I should think that you, knowing I'd already gotten one Alba that was terribly out of tune and not so well made, would go to the trouble of sending me the best example of your work....and perhaps you did, which is even more frigthening: The whistle you sent has fingerholes that are not drilled strait down the tube - they wander slightly from one side to the other. Also, the end of the mouthpiece is cut off at an angle! Now there's something I haven't seen before.

I must admit that you've reduced the wind requirements on your Low D, to the point where it's playable, if not quite thrifty, and that's a step in the right direction.

Getting back to the tone holes: The sizes are very good - on the small side, however the finishing of the holes is rather rough and the tone hole spacing you've chosen for the right hand is horribly uncomfortable - the 4 and 5 holes are too close together, while the 5 and 6 are MUCH too far apart. Plus the stretch is long... The whistle is playable, but it's one of the least comfortable Low D's I've ever played - This is the sort of whistle, just based on finger spacing alone, that will make first time players belive that the Low D is not doable for them. Honestly, I can't imagine many people finding the right hand configuration comfortable. It would also be nice if the tone holes were actually round, which they are not.

That brings us to sound and playability. The whistle plays fine. The bell note isn't too jumpy, it's good and solid, and the whistle plays pretty easily all the way through the top of the second octave. The down side is that while the breath requirements are moderate in the first octave, the whistle lacks any significant back presssure, so one needs to blow a good bit more air (quantity) through the mouthpiece to play in the second octave, meaning you'll be gasping during passages in the second octave.

The Alba Low D is a VERY breathy sounding whistle - there's a constant "Whoooshing" sound as you play all the notes, and this increases as you go up the scale. Dale described the tone as "Smokey" I believe, I'd call it cloudy and unfocused sounding at best - good for someone who wants a really breathy whistle primarily for slow tunes, not a good choice for someone who wants to play uptempo jigs, reels, and the like. The unfocused and overly breathy sound of this whistle leads to ornaments that just don't "Pop", there's little crispness or snap to cuts and taps, so consequently the notes mostly bleed and blur together at speed, leading to a rather mushy, undefined, and uninspiring rendition of what ever you're trying to play. (I'll leave this space open for you to insult my playing now as I'm sure that's what you'll want to blame this on Wizzy___________________)

By the way, the tuning on the whistle is okay: By that I mean it can certainly be played in tune, but one needs to do a bit of adjusting breath pressure from one not to the next in some cases, as the tuning is not precise. The C# in particular is noticeably flat and requires a concious effort to put up to pitch. The notes, in general, are more suseptible to being under or overblown out of tune, than on many other whistles - not a fatal flaw, just one more thing that keeps this whistle from ranking with the best.

So, overall, I'd say the Alba Low D ranks pretty far down the list of Low D's on the market. If the finger hole spacing were different, it might make a nice alternative to the Dixon Low D for beginners who can't afford a top quality instrument, but the reach on the Alba is just too long and unevenly spaced for the vast majority of beginners, and uncomfortable for almost anyone I'd imagine. In the end, I think this whistle is best suited for large handed players, who like an extremely breathy sound, to play slow tunes on, and who don't require an instrument that's particularly well made.

There Stacey, are you happy now? Those are my honest thoughts, which is exactly what you asked for. I've no doubt you'll hurl more insults my way, and I can't imagine what the point was in sending me the whistle in the first place if all you wanted to do was to pick a fight, I mean usually the whistle maker waits until AFTER the review is written before he or she starts insulting the reviewer, but not you.......

Loren
serpent
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by serpent »

Hey, Loren, Stacey - don't run off - just a second --

DALE!!! Two more for the corner! :smile:

Stace, slow down, take a deeeeeeep breath, grab a cup tea, (or a good long sip of Glenmorangie :smile: ) and respond reasonably. I know you can do it! You go!

Loren, you're a bit closer - here's a nice Guiness for yer! Belly up to th' bar and have another. Crisps? Sure, got them, too. Just don't play any whistles after yer eat 'em.

Let the flames die down before either of you post again. I find both of you funny and smart - prove it for me...

Cheers, blessings on yer both,
Serpent (playing a different role, this time)
Add yourself to the Serpent Newsletter!
Send email to serpent@serpentmusic.com subject "add"
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

Bill, I think your post was un-called for. I think Loren's review was incredibly reasonable, and he had more good things to say than I thought possible. He has EVERY right to be frustrated with Stacey's constant unprovoked attacks of him. It's amazing how you, of all people, can expect people to be machine-like in their dealings with people. I think you post just to see yourself post. You feel the need to interfere in EVERYTHING. Give it a rest sometimes.

~Jessie
serpent

Post by serpent »

Jessie, there is a private message for you.
Regards,
Bill Whedon
serpent

Post by serpent »

And another thing... :smile:

Yep, I do have an opinion on (almost)everything! But I'm not getting on anybody here, or trying to be mean, or anything like that. I didn't say Word One about Loren's review or Stacey's whistles, because I have absolutely no information about either from which to form an opinion.

I jumped in because I think I see another "Mike.r leaves the board" situation brewing, and I like Loren and Stacey too much to want to see it happen.

Peripherally, yes, Jessie, I do like to see my stuff posted - don't you yours? :smile:

Cheers,
Bill Whedon
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

Bill, check your private messages.

When there is a frivolous thread, sometimes I will post something of no consequence, but on important or tender issues, I generally post when I think I have something important to add.

You ask what you did wrong. What you did wrong was imply that Stacey would be angry at Loren's complex and fair review. Rather than letting the review stand on its own, you brought back the conflict IMMEDIATELY. And for what?

If Stacey has any character, she/he (I have heard both) will appreciate the complex review and realize that she/he has been a bit unfair to Loren, taking out on Loren her/his anger toward me, expecting him to save the Alba reputation from my little negative comment about Alba whistles.

~Jessie

Edited for typo.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: JessieK on 2002-11-25 11:19 ]</font>
Zubivka

Post by Zubivka »

On 2002-11-25 10:40, JessieK wrote.
Whatzis ? a Bonnie-and-Clyde number :lol:
serpent

Post by serpent »

Hi, Jessie! You've got another private message, too! :smile: (gettin' sort of like the old "You've Got Mail!" thing, ain't it? :smile: )

Hey, touche' on me jumping in before anything happened. Damn! I just went through this lengthy discussion on chat last night, about the other thing, and want so very much to short-circuit it here, I guess I let my enthusiasm run away! Me! Imagine that! :grin:

Look, I know that both respondents have a certain level of (for want of a better word) irascibility. Given proper circumstances, we all do. What I felt like doing, was tossing fluffy cushions into that thread! :smile: Pillowfights are so much more, well, soothing!

I did read Loren's review, and without having an Alba in hand, and never having heard one, can say nothing other than that it appeared to be thorough and even-handed. From my own perspective, I'm really happy I haven't pissed off my reviewers before the reviews came out! :smile:

And with that, this old blabbermouth will shut the hell up and let whatever happens from here, happen without my interference. I just hope nobody leaves!!! I get tired of slammin' doors!! :grin:

Love yer all,
Serpent
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

On 2002-11-25 09:20, Loren wrote:
Yes, well, hurling a constant stream of insults at me is sure to improve the situation, right? The above post is but one of a half dozen or so I've left unanswered, until now.

Oh, grow up, Loren. I mean, thanks for the review: that is interesting and great reading. But do you really think the entire board needs to see "top-poster around-longer-than-anyone played-more-whistles-than-anyone seen-it-all saved-people-lots-of-money" Loren take it out on semi-internet-illiterate Stacy from rural Scotland?

I think it would be good if you could just edit out the first half of you post, so that people will be able to search for and read your valuable review without the embarrasing glimpse at hurt feelings and this "gotta get even". I'll take this post out, too, because I would like the thread to be about what the title says it is about.

Thanks,
/Bloomfield
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

On 2002-11-25 11:43, Bloomfield wrote:
Oh, grow up, Loren. I mean, thanks for the review: that is interesting and great reading. But do you really think the entire board needs to see...Loren take it out on semi-internet-illiterate Stacy from rural Scotland?
Have you missed Stacey's unwarranted attacks? Is being internet (or otherwise) illiterate an excuse for being outright mean and rude for no reason whatsoever and displacing one's anger to another (undeserving) person? Do you like to be attacked, Bloomfield? It's amazing how so many people know just what should be done when they are not the ones involved. Yes, I think Loren has every right to call Stacey on her/his behavior.

~Jessie
Tony
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

At some point... all this unnecessary 'stuff' will blow over.

Hopefully, the FACTS will remain that Loren reviewed a new Alba whistle.
Though it's an improved version to one he tried before, he feels there are several weak points to the design and manufacture with regard to back pressure, wind requirements, breathiness of sound, tone hole placement (stretch, size, roundness and finishing of holes) and overall lack of tonal purity.

There you have it! no lashing, bashing, insults or attacks.
Azalin

Post by Azalin »

Well, I personally think that personnal attacks are okay, heck, it can sometimes be fun, but to mix it with a whistle review??? Never. I think that Loren's frustrations should have been in another thread, and the review should have been in this one. Even if it's an objective review, it just doesnt feel like it, and it just makes it harder to trust the review.

As I said before, this review buisness is somewhat out of control. Reviewing a whistle is a big thing in here, as many newbies will read it. We should just be very careful and mature enough to handle them.
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

Interesting point, Az. I think, though, that people can weed out the frustration and take the review at face value. Loren said enough positive stuff that it does seem objective.

~J
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

hi y'all, am still at work, thought I'd look in here, say hi, then work again, so there: hi.
:smile:
Oh, yeah, that was a totally OT post.
:smile:
mvhplank
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by mvhplank »

On 2002-11-25 12:58, JessieK wrote:
Interesting point, Az. I think, though, that people can weed out the frustration and take the review at face value. Loren said enough positive stuff that it does seem objective.

~J
Huh? Was that when he said "Your whistles still suck"? That didn't read like an objective, balanced review to me.

Jessie, you did a better job on the Serpent whistle review.

M

[edited to get the quote right]

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: mvhplank on 2002-11-25 14:03 ]</font>