Edward Baack Flute

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
The Round Tree
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Edward Baack Flute

Post by The Round Tree »

I would like any information about Edward Baack Flutes. I recently came into possession of a one of his cocus one-keyed baroque flutes (I know it's not Irish, but didn't know where esle to turn) and would like to know more about him and his flutes. I could find very little on line, except Patrick Olwell mention him in a Chiif and Fipple interview. Hopefully, Patrick will read this and can give me more info.
Cheers in advance:)
Terry McGee

Re: Edward Baack Flute

Post by Terry McGee »

The Round Tree wrote:I would like any information about Edward Baack Flutes. I recently came into possession of a one of his cocus one-keyed baroque flutes (I know it's not Irish, but didn't know where esle to turn) and would like to know more about him and his flutes. I could find very little on line, except Patrick Olwell mention him in a Chiif and Fipple interview. Hopefully, Patrick will read this and can give me more info.
Cheers in advance:)
Hi Round Tree. Baack is interesting. Born Hamburg, 1809, died NY 1893. According to family legend, he went to the US in 1832 as an army deserter. Listed between 1864 and 1872 as a maker; crashed in 1872. Lived and worked above his retail outlet with his wife and 12 children.

Terry
The Round Tree

Edward Baack Flute

Post by The Round Tree »

Thanks Terry, Do you know anything about the quality of his flutes or where I might find more info? On-line I find his name mentioned in a couple of collections and one of his flutes for sale.
Cheers:)
Terry McGee

Post by Terry McGee »

No, sorry. I don't think I've ever seen one. But inclusion in collections sounds like they were well regarded.

I've said before (and will no doubt repeat myself) that I think the early US makers deserve more attention that they have received so far. What a fascinating period - numerous flute-playing cultures coming together in a new land where enterprise and innovation were probably more highly prized than slavish obligation to tradition. There has to be a good story in that!

Terry