Silver grease pots!

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
ams
antispam: No

Silver grease pots!

Post by ams »

Where on earth do people get those pretty small silver grease pots?
irish69
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by irish69 »

I dont know, I've never seen them before.

I suppose you could use an old silver pillbox? If you peruse around some antique shops or eBay I'm sure you can find a pretty nice one for not too much money.
"Without music, life would be an error."
Friedrich Nietzsche
clark
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've played Irish flute most of my life. My band Celtic Waves has been performing in Honolulu for the last 17 years.

Post by clark »

jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

I haven't seen a metal one associated with a flute, let alone clearly originally associated. I love the little turned cocus ones that were certainly original accoutrements. I was lucky enough to be given a "spare" one that had lost its own flute/case etc. by the late Paul Davis as a thankyou for taking a client to him - a friend who bought a flute. My R&R (acquired from Paul) had lost all of its own original kit, but now lives in a lovely (if battered) C19th mahogany veneer flute case that had lost its flute, with Paul's grease pot.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
irish69

Post by irish69 »

clark wrote:How about this?

http://www.capricornslair.com/fancencelwea.html

Clark
Thats a nice one Clark
Friedrich Nietzsche
Sillydill

Post by Sillydill »

I agree "Nice One Clark!"

Cap Boxes for Muzzleloading rifles should work, but these are 1-3/4" in dia.

Here's a link:
http://www.trackofthewolf.com/(S(4dnkig555q2nxdnhc5pogr55))/categories/partList.aspx?catID=17&subID=105&styleID=394

Keep on Tootin!

Jordan
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

Clark
If you start seeing fancy celtic knotted crowns for my flutes, you will know where I got them! :D Just cut off the cap and slap that sucker on the crown.
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
Cork

Post by Cork »

jemtheflute wrote:I haven't seen a metal one associated with a flute, let alone clearly originally associated. I love the little turned cocus ones that were certainly original accoutrements. I was lucky enough to be given a "spare" one that had lost its own flute/case etc. by the late Paul Davis as a thankyou for taking a client to him - a friend who bought a flute. My R&R (acquired from Paul) had lost all of its own original kit, but now lives in a lovely (if battered) C19th mahogany veneer flute case that had lost its flute, with Paul's grease pot.
I had a similar experience.

I have an old, first year of manufacture, 1915, silver flute, which was/is in fine condition, complete with original case, but it was missing its cleaning rod. I then brought the flute back to its manufacturer, W.S.Haynes, of Boston, and no less than the then, but now late, president of the company, Lewis DeVeau (I hope I got the spelling right) gave me, free of charge, the very rod that was missing, complete with screwdriver built into the non-swab end.

It was a singular honor.
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

Jon C. wrote:

Clark
If you start seeing fancy celtic knotted crowns for my flutes, you will know where I got them! :D Just cut off the cap and slap that sucker on the crown.
Dang, to big...
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
Jon C.

Post by Jon C. »

I hope now one comes after me with the "black candle hex kit" on that site...
http://www.capricornslair.com/blaccanhexsp.html
Michael Flatley

Jon
Jon C.

Post by Jon C. »

Cork wrote:
jemtheflute wrote:I haven't seen a metal one associated with a flute, let alone clearly originally associated. I love the little turned cocus ones that were certainly original accoutrements. I was lucky enough to be given a "spare" one that had lost its own flute/case etc. by the late Paul Davis as a thankyou for taking a client to him - a friend who bought a flute. My R&R (acquired from Paul) had lost all of its own original kit, but now lives in a lovely (if battered) C19th mahogany veneer flute case that had lost its flute, with Paul's grease pot.

I have an old, first year of manufacture, 1915, silver flute, which was/is in fine condition, complete with original case, but it was missing its cleaning rod. I then brought the flute back to its manufacturer, W.S.Haynes, of Boston, and no less than the then, but now late, president of the company, Lewis DeVeau (I hope I got the spelling right) gave me, free of charge, the very rod that was missing, complete with screwdriver built into the non-swab end.

It was a singular honor.
I got a nice cocuswood grease pot and cleanig stick with my Rudall Carte Beohm flute, I can't show you any photos of it until next month... :swear:
Michael Flatley

Jon
irish69

Post by irish69 »

Jon C. wrote:
Cork wrote:

It was a singular honor.
I got a nice cocuswood grease pot and cleanig stick with my Rudall Carte Beohm flute, I can't show you any photos of it until next month... :swear:
I personally find this rule ridiculus. I don't see any of those posts as being commercial in nature. Also I don't see why you can't post a picture of the pot. You don't sell them, right? Mebbe if some of us are interested you can PM a photo to us?
Friedrich Nietzsche
Jack Bradshaw

Post by Jack Bradshaw »

603/329-7322
"I fail to see why doing the same thing over and over and getting the
same results every time is insanity: I've almost proved it isn't;
only a few more tests now and I'm sure results will differ this time ... "
irish69

Post by irish69 »

Jack Bradshaw wrote:Here's a cutie....

http://cgi.ebay.com/MYTHOLOGICAL-DRAGON ... dZViewItem
I like this one better than the newer ones
Friedrich Nietzsche
toughknot

Post by toughknot »

Try a Google search for Okito coin box.
I shall never bitter be so long as I can laugh at me.