Kevin Crawford in St.Louis - April 4,5 and 6

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
mikemullins
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mikemullins »

Kevin Crawford will be in st.Louis for the TIONOL April 4,5, 6. See http://www.tionol.org for all details or contact mmullins@tionol.org.
Mike
Cathy Wilde
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Cathy Wilde »

He is a WONDERFUL teacher, and loads of fun. Sign up, sign up!

P.S. With any luck Kevin and John Skelton will reprise/continue their one-day-to-be-fabulous comedy act.
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
withak

Post by withak »

I left Illinois at the wrong time. :(
Whistlin'Dixie

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

Who-all's going?

M
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

I plan to be there.
dcopley

Post by dcopley »

Me too. Not sure whether I'll sign up for whistle or flute.

Dave Copley
Loveland, Ohio
tin tin
Tell us something.: To paraphrase Mark Twain, a gentleman is someone who knows how to play the spoons and doesn't. I'm doing my best to be a gentleman.

Post by tin tin »

Sign me up.
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Me three, although I think I'm going to subject myself to even MORE humiliation than ever by taking a piping class. As if trying to play the flute's not struggle enough... :boggle:
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
Hoovorff

Post by Hoovorff »

I really hope I can, even if I have to fly in late Friday night!

My elementary choir is singing in a music festival until close to 5 p.m. on Friday, the day before Spring break. (A lousy time to schedule this festival :sniffle: )

Kevin's a wonderful teacher--very clear, good pacing, fun stories, and amazing technique and style! I'm sure the class will be packed.

Jeanie
Bill Reeder

Post by Bill Reeder »

I'm planning to go as well. Probably a piping class.
Bill

"... you discover that everything is just right: the drones steady and sonorous, the regulators crisp and tuneful and the chanter sweet and responsive. ... I really look forward to those five or six days every year." Robbie Hannan
norcalbob

Post by norcalbob »

Would his class be appropriate for a relative beginner? I went to the website and read the 4 skill level descriptions: beginner, basic, intermediate, and advanced. Beginner and basic are as follows:

Beginner: You have no or relatively little experience with the instrument.
Basic: Appropriate for those musicians who have played their instrument for at least 1 year, know simple tunes and cam play by written music or by ear at a slower pace.

Even though I have had my Copley for only two weeks, I have played the Boehm flute for a few years, and I would say I fall somewhere between beginner and basic at this point. I can play simple tunes from written music at a slower pace but would only have 3 months of experience on the Irish flute at the time of the workshop.

It's a long way from California, but I could possibly tack on a visit with my family in Indiana on either end of the event. But, I wouldn't want to spend a good chunk of money and then sit in a room feeling woefully inadequate and embarrassed either. Any thoughts....?
Bob

Come to the edge/ It's too high/ Come to the edge/ We might fall/ Come to the edge/ And we came/ And he pushed/ And we flew!
Guillaume Apollinaire
Hoovorff

Post by Hoovorff »

Bob,

When I was at Augusta and also at Boxwood the previous year, Kevin C. passed out an abc version of the tunes we were working on. He sometimes passed it out after he taught it by ear. There were a couple of beginners who requested it at the start of the lesson, and he complied if he had a copy handy. He was a very giving, patient teacher.

He teaches phrase by phrase, explaining ornamentation, etc. as prompted by class questions. He would usually play through the tune once slowly, and then faster. Everyone would record it for later work.

You can always go and participate as much as you can, making sure to tape it so you can work with it later at home.

Jeanie
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

In my case woefully embarrassed and inadequate are
par for the course. But I still learn a lot. I record
a good deal. One of these things last me for years.
And I learn a lot by osmosis from the teacher,
just seeing somebody do this wonderfully well, somebody
sitting a few feet away.
mikemullins

Post by mikemullins »

Never ever worry about feeling woeful - embarrassed or otherwise. So much of this music is about the experience. As Jim says its an osmotic process - the more you hear in terms of music, in class and session settings, and and in terms of listening to people like Kevin talking about it the more it becomes part of you. The more that gets in, the easier it is for it to come back out.
M
Irish Marine

Crawford

Post by Irish Marine »

Norcalbob wrote: Would his class be appropriate for a relative beginner?

I took a class with Kevin in September at the Irish Arts Center in NYC. At the time, I had only been playing flute since March. He was extremely patient with all of us, as our abilities varied. He made copies of the tunes in ABC format and taught them to us phrase-by-phrase, giving us ideas for varying ornamentation during the repeat of each part. Listening to the recordings after the lessons helped tremendously. I found him to be an outstanding teacher overall and wished I was able to join all of you during this upcoming class :( Have fun. BTW, I took a class with John Skelton as well, and he was an outstanding teacher also!

~Sean